Blood Trailing Big Game?

Sorry about that, the link will not work. Basically, the article is about certain states that allow you to use a dog to blood trail wounded game.

A good dog is amazing. I forget the ratio of smell but they say that a labs nose is equivelant to being able to smell 2 drops of rain in a football field.

My lab was being trained and does really good during the day. But he can't work at nite because he's mesmerized by llights.

I've seen him run a trail to a deer or pig where there is no visible blood.

I actually enjoy hands and knees putting the puzzle together and finding the deer but a dog is usually more reliable and faster.

Jeff

I don't understand how it is even an issue. If you hit game hard enough to put them down quickly, you don't need a dog. If they go off wounded, then I think you should be required to use any means neccesary to find the animal. dogs should be kept on a leash to prevent them from running game (unless it is legal in that state). By doing this, it prevents bad hunters from making poor shoots and killing multiple deer because "they couldn't find it."

Find story here

Great Story,
One of my best friends also uses a lab for this also. He started this practice after taking up bow hunting and loosing his first wounded deer. He just happened to already own the lab.

~JeffAlaska~

Follow this link and then goto "HUNTERS BEST FRIEND" under the "RELATED ARTICLES" It's worth the read.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/huntingdogs/article

RE: Find story here

I agree with you. Dogs should only be used for retrieving purposes only. In the last year, I have heard of a few people in my area who have lost elk. 2 during the Muzz hunt and 1 during the rifle hunt.

From their description, a good dog would have probably have found all 3. Of course, shot placement is critical but at times things can go wrong.

Thanks for the comments.

Jason

TCR1

I'm sorry, but if you haven't shot a game animal and had to trail it or have a skimpy trail, you just have not hunted enough. It will happen at some point. At that point you need to do everything you can to retrieve it. Dogs can help.

I shot a deer through the heart a few years back. Arrow stuck in the dirt. Deer went over 300 yards(how is that possible-- hunt long enough you'll see it all) Along the way I think we found maybe 10 spots of blood. It was wet so we could follow the tracks. Thats what saved us. If I had my dog a 2-3 hour trail job would have taken 15 min max. How much more perfect can you get besides cutting a 3bladed swipe through the heart?

Don't discount dogs or having to trail. It happens to the best of us.

Jeff

rost, was it the one hit in the lungs with the .30? aw man, that was low blow. hope it didn't hurt much. woodruff, i assume you're from Az? if so, i'm thinkin' that it'd be illegal here. only big game animals you can use dogs on are bears and lions. i guess if it's legal it'd be ok to do, but i don't see much need in it, for several reasons. in my humble opinion.

Look you hunt long enough, and I don't care who you are, you are going to have that lost animal or untrackable animal. A good blood dog is invaluable at a time like this.

Hell, Roy Hinds down in La Salle County Texas is busy most every night of the week durring hunting season with his trailing dogs. If you ever get a chance to see this man work his dogs you will be amazed.
Dogs can definetly help.

"We MUST Hunt"

guess i ain't hunted long enough. or maybe too long. no doubt they can help. i've ran hounds most o' my life. i know what a dog's nose can do. but i've never really had a situation where i thought a dog would do me any good tracking.

RLH,

I am actually from Utah. I know that it is illegal to use dogs here. However, I would be in favor of a law that would allow you to use dogs for retrieving.

Woodruffhunter

Since its illegal to use dogs to blood trail(not run) a wounded animal in your state, maybe you could get RLH if needed. Sure seems he can do it all without help.

Or since RLH is so good at tracking by himself, we should hire him to trail down Osama ;-)

Jeff

if you texas fellers could hit anything but guts, maybe ya wouldn't have to track stuff all over hell. oh wait, i forgot, ya'll have them oral roberts "self-healing" deer there.

Oh Ye Of Little Experience

http://www.cbn.com/CBNNews/News/snipertrialupdate102903.asp?option=print

The sniper shot Lori-Ann in the back with a high-velocity weapon. When the bullet entered her body, it cauterized the entrance wound, so that no bleeding occurred from that spot. The bullet never exited her body. It took the rescue team a little while to find the entrance wound because of the lack of blood.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...howtopic=4120+Cauterized++bullet+wound+&hl=en

The bullet was recovered at the scene and appeared to be a .45acp. It was a through and through shot, with the wound being cauterized as the bullet passed through. The upside is he didn't lose a lot of blood. He didn't start bleeding until he reached the ER. He will make a full recovery and will be home in a few days.

Ah but some of us have enough guts to stand up to ya. Though I've never hit the guts more than a few times.

Whats really a crock is what the other Jeff posted. We know that could never happen.... :)

Hey woodruff hunter that Deutch Drathaar you have is a blood tracking machine. Thats part of what there breed for. I have 2 and am starting to train on blood trailing just in case its ever legal or if no one is looking.

Gone,

I am going to start it on blood trailing. I should have started it sooner. However, I have been training it with birds. I have been really pleased with this breed of dogs and it will probably be the only breed I ever own.

Let me know how your training goes.

Jason

Woodruff,

How old is your drathaar? Im going to be guiding tons of cow elk hunters. I'm hoping to figure a way out to save some of the blood for training. Also someone told me to use the lungs for drags as well. If I end up with a lot of blood or lungs I save some for you.

Gone,

My Drathaar is 1 year old. Its a great idea to save some elk blood and will definately help with your training.

Are your Drathaars registered with the VDD or AKC? The reason I ask is that the VDD has differant restrictions for registering your dog (the VDD is by far more restrictive). Blood trailing/testing is part of the registration process (through the VDD). I believe that the first testing your dogs will go through is a 24 hour blood trail.

However, I am not sure and am still in the learning process. My friend is the regional president and lives in Northern Utah. He has been helpful in guiding me through some of the training.

You ought to come up this way and I will take you and your dogs out duck hunting. Also, if you are interested I will keep you informed on the testing dates.

This breed is rapidly gaining popularity in the US is recent years. Check out this website http://www.drahthaar.com/ for more information.

Jason

Gone,

Here is some information on the differences between the AKC Wirehair Pointer and the Deutch Drathaar that I copied from their website. Whether your dogs are AKC or not, I am sure they are great dogs that you will be happy with. Sorry for the rant.

Jason

Isn't a Drahthaar just what they call German Wirehaired Pointers to try to impress people?
Well, it does happen, but no, in reality the Drahthaar is a separate breed from their American derivative, the German Wirehaired Pointer. The Drahthaar is bred to a strict set of breed standards, which require testing in both ability and conformation before the dogs are allowed to be bred. The GWP, as registered by the AKC and the FDSB, don't have any controls on their breeding, so the breeds have begun to diverge, even though they are originally from the same stock. The most immediately noticable difference is in the coat- the Drahthaars tend to a more uniform, shorter coat, and are generally darker in color than are the GWPs.

Drahthaars are registered by the Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar. Any dog from a registry such as the AKC or FDSB is a German Wirehaired Pointer, no matter what the guy is trying to sell you. Ask, and if they aren't VDD pups, they aren't really Drahthaars. Every month I see ads in Gun Dog for 'Hunting Drahthaars' and so forth, and they aren't VDD pups. Those are the people who are misusing the name in an effort to impress the uninformed.

On a personal note, I've found that this particular question is not only the most asked question, but also the one that causes the most people to get mad at me. Many people don't believe my answer, and feel that it is an insult to them (or their GWPs) somehow. This is completely ridiculous, and in response, I've written an article that discusses this much more in depth.

Woodruff,

Settle down your going to give your self a heart attack. I know exactly what your talking about. My male puppy is 10 months old and will be testing this spring. I will be picking up my female pup on friday night and she also will be testing in the spring. So as you can see I will have my hands full training two dogs for the vjp. I'm having problems with my male pointing. When he was a pup he caught some of the neighbors pigeons and now thinks he can catch anything that flies. Recently he has started to point for a few seconds before pouncing in after the bird.

I would like to come go duck hunting. Where are you hunting at? The duck hunting around my side of town has been kinda spotty this year.

Gone,

Settle down? Lol, I didn't mean any offense by that last post. I am just surprised that you have 2 of these dogs. They just aren't that common. I am hunting in Northern Utah about 1.5 hours east of Salt Lake.

One thing I did to keep my dog from breaking point was this: I got my fishing pole and tied the line around the wing a few times and let the dog come after it. I wouldn't let him catch it and before long he would hold point.

Let me know when you have an open Saturday and we will shoot some ducks. But the condition is that you will eat and clean them when we are done lol.

Jason

Does duck jerky count? I usally just breast them out and when I have enough make a batch of jerky.

Are you pass shooting or jump shooting? What kind of ducks have you been killing lately? Ive been shooting mostly scaup, and golden eyes.

Have you run your dog through the vjp yet.

Jerky definately counts! I have done both (pass and jump shooting). However, probably more jump shooting. I am hoping to also get into some geese. The majority of the ducks are mallards with an occasional teal.

I haven't tested my dog yet but will probably do it in the spring. However, I did watch some other dogs test.

Send me your E-Mail address and we can plan it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom