Blown Turkey Hunt!!!

O_S_O_K

So, my boy and I get up early Saturday morning to go and see what the conditions are like for the "Shed Hunting Opener" (actually just the opening of the WMA's here in Utah, but might as well be titled as such), hoping for a chance to get some exercise and maybe find a bone or two.

We get to the WMA in question and the conditions are down right nasty with about 3 inches of snow and about 20 trucks in the parking lot (mind you this was before it was even light yet). The actual gate is closed (which may have been the DWR's way of saying maybe it isn't such a good idea chasing the animals around after a good snowstorm) but that didn't stop any of them. I guess that's another story though.

Anyway, we decide it's not such a good idea so we make our wildlife watching tour to see how the animals are doing.

We end up in an area that holds quite a few turkeys and see a bunch about 50 yards off the road with probably 20 hens and about 4 big toms all struttin' and showin' off for the ladies.

We stop to watch them and I realize that Turkey had opened that day. We start looking around a little harder and I see a truck parked off the road across from the field all by it's lonesome.

I tell my boy "I bet there is someone out in the field set up on those birds", so we decide to go up the road a ways and stay out of the way.

As we are sitting there trying to find the hunters and hoping we may get to see someone's success a truck pulls up at the other end of the field and 3 people get out, cross the fence and head out into the field right towards the birds.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Long story short, the guy takes a knee at about 80 yards and pops off a shot. Of course he misses and all of the birds come running right at us and fly over us to the other side of the road and over the mountain.

Just about this time I look out into the field to see 2 guys stand up from behind a wood pile and pick up their decoys and head for their truck.

Now there were some words exchanged but it didn't appear to get ugly and I am sure the guy that busted the hunt truly didn't know the guys were in the field, but I still would've been pissed!

If these guys would have reviewed the situation like I had they should've been able to come to the same conclusion. It seemed to be pretty clear that there was a strong possibility of other hunters in the field, or maybe they just didn't care!

In the end, my boy and I had front row to some exciting action but it got me thinking about how many times people inadvertantly screw someone else's hunt up.

How many of you guys have a story where someone screwed up your hunt, unintentionally, but it could have been avoided if they would have been thinking just a little (or had a little not so common "Common Sense")?

Happened to me on the opener of the LE turkey last year. Set up on a trail on private property. I took my 10 year old boy out in hopes of getting him involved and as they were coming out of thier roost and coming right to us, three kids came walking up the trail 300 yards above the guys house. We had our decoys set up right in the middle of the trail where the birds had been walking down to the guys barn. When the three kids walked right over our decoys, laughing that they should shoot one, they then walked right into the birds and busted the whole thing up laughing all the way. Apearantly they talked to the land owners boy at 4 am that morning and had permission to go up there too but laughed the whole time as they were stepping over our decoys at first light.

One of the first years I hunted Turkeys here in TARDville I had a JOKER try a shot at my Decoy at about 500-600 yards away!

I had hunted a few hours that morning & the Weather was decent,had a perty good set-up & I was just waitin Toms out that were traveling up & down the River bottom!

There's a few different places you can drive out to the Edge & look off in to the River!

My Decoy must of looked perty good!

I'm laying there & mud/grass kicks up & then I hear the shot,Scared me a bit & I knew right away what it was,what was scary is they hit quite a bit low which was closer to me than My Decoy!

I quickly capped a couple off out of My Scatter Gun to let em know I was present,I never did see the JOKER but I did hear a Truck fire up & Haul ASS after I capped a couple off!

It don't take many shots to scare the Birds on the River,needless to say this area was JUNK for a few days!

I talked to the Landowner in hopes whoever it was mighta asked for permission,Nobody else had asked,so on top of his Ethical Tactics the SOB was Tresspassing too!

Never did find out who it was?

I did take a close look at the Tire tracks but I think he was SKEERED and never ventured back in to the area!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

This weekend I had a guy sneak in and shoot a tom that I was working with my box call for my son, and another time later that day I had a guy sneak into within about 80 yards of my decoy and set up hoping to kill one of the 3 gobblers we had talking with us. I talked to my son about respect and how we don't do crap like that and we got up and left. We certainly don't own the public ground but we give others their space when we know they are in an area.

Is killing a turkey that big of a deal that you would intentionally screw up someone else's hunt? Unbelievable.

Luckily my son has a great attitude and although disappointed, He learned something that day and said he had fun watching the toms strut. It is always fun hunting with my boy. No one can screw that up!

Right on SS!

Ya gotta realize!

Some of these TARDS are the same TARDS that Suit up in Orange & participate in the Pumpkin Patch!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

With the number of turkey hunting shows on TV one would think that a guy would know he can't just walk right at turkeys. They have exceptional vision and wouldn't let that joker get within shotgun range. That is exactly the reason I don't bother playing the Utah turkey game. I had a tag one year and hunted solo. Guys wandering everywhere. Nevermind finding out where they roost or trying to lure them in with a call and some decoys. It's pretty sad. I hope you guys get to kill some birds and have a good hunt.

It's always an adventure!!!

I have something like that happen almost every season.sometimes several times a season. For some reason It always seems to happen in utah. Its just some people dont have any respect for their fellow hunters or land owners. Last bow season I was on a buck of a lifetime and a guy new I was on him. And still moved in. I was 22 yards waiting for the shot. Sad when a 50 year old guy snakes a deer from a kid. My bud talked to the guy up on the ridge as he warched the stock roll out throgh the spotter. Some words were exchanged lol

OSOK,

I witnessed the same goatrope you did.......... now for 'The rest of the story". My two sons where up that canyon a mile or so where the birds flew and two hours later killed a nice tom out of that flock. But the real kicker is that dumb@ss you seen shoot......... he had a RIFLE !! I couldn't believe those guys set up didn't have more to say to him?? I stopped him and ask if he knew that was illegal and he said 'well, I do now" and left. I got his license number but he was pretty scared as it was.

Welcome to the ego-blown world of public (and private) hunting.

Silentstalker is correct, It's all about respect! Respect for the animals and other hunters. Seems many lack this aspect of self improvement.

I usually try to avoid "opener"

Zeke

PS. I have been involved in several situations where I had interaction with hunters who had respect for others. It was my pleasure to be around them.

Hey CB,

I am glad that fiasco ended up working out for someone. I can't believe he had a rifle!

SS - Great attitude and I agree 100%. My boy learned the same lesson that day.

Every minute we spend in the field is a learning opportunity :D

I just wish others would take those opportunities to learn as well.

Zeke - I too have had many opportunities of hunting near, around, with "True Sportsmen" and it's always a pleasure!

It just seems the idea of what constitutes a "True Sportsman" has diminished.

Unfortunately many of my recent experiences are similar to those described above.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom