Blue Buck?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Now, i'm Color Blind. Almost as bad as a guy can be color blind. i fall in the top 10% of those with that handicap. Handicap because i failed badly on a colorblind test at the Physical for a Firemen job i wanted back in the late 70's and subsequently didn't get the job, which, i had been told was mine. Not the first or last time that happened to me either. Colorblindness, if bad enough, is a handicap and if not recognized as so, it should be.

Anyway, easy to remember my Dad talking about how a particular buck was so dark Blue. If a deer was dark, he was nice and Blue. It's got to be a figure of speech, there ain't no Blue deer out there, is there? I never seen nothing that looked like a blue deer to me! Do other people have nice "blue" bucks where they live too?

Sound off, food for thought. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Don't see it happen much anymore!

But back many years ago when there were some Bucks Living to a Ripe Old Age We'd See a Few early in the Year just before Bow Season that were already 'Grayed' Off!

We'd See Nice Bachelor Groups of Bucks,as many as 15 all together!

Most of them still Brown that time of year,But We'd always Hope to see the 'Silver' Bucks that early in the Year because We Knew if they were already 'Silver' they were gonna be Bigger Bucks!

Never Really seen any that were Blue?

Have Seen a few BIG Bucks in My Day that did have a Different Color to them Though!

Mostly Bucks that Were Extremely Old or Desert Bucks though!

Rare to See any Extremely Old Bucks in TARDville anymore!

If any Animals in Utah make it to past Age 4 We Got JOKERS in this State Screaming for Lower Age Objectives,WAFJ!

[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I Don't get No Peace!"

Hey Founder?

Did You get Permission From shotgun1 before you made your Last
Post?
[/font]

Sure have seen a "blue" buck, happened to be a whitetail. We had an ole whitetail back un midwest Iowa which turned mossback. He wasn't the biggest racked animal but had lots of scars on his aged face with points woren down to small knubs, and a wonderful blue/grey hue to his fur. I was lucky enough to harvest this mieser after watching him loose his last brawl to another younger buck. The fight lasted a solid 30 minutes and when over you could see his chest heeve and his breath condense in the cold air. It was sad seeing him walk away from this fight beaten as this ole boy had built a reputation known by the locals but yet those of us who knew of him also new how many fawns he sired over his lifetime. We celebrated the bucks life that night when word got around town that he had been harvested as others came to tell their tales of this most recognizable buck. Can't say as I have ever seen another buck with that color but would certainly recognize the hue.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

"Nice and blue!" I associate the term with a mature late season buck (mostly blacktails since that's my deer of experience). A buck that has shed his summer coat and fully in his winter coat. It's more of a blue/gray color and stands out even better if it's wet after a hard rain.

I don't hear the term too often any more, I think of it more as a term used a generation ago. It used to be used a lot.

"Nice and blue" A healthy prime buck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom