Boat Help

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I know that this really isn't a "hunting" related topic. However, I really respect many of your opions and need some help.

I am looking for a boat in the $5,000 range (sold my ATV lol). I am looking to use it on small and large lakes (mainly for fishing). However, I would like to use it for water skiing.

Usually, I will have 5 people (2 adults and three kids).

Here are my questions:

Inboard or Outboard?
Size of trolling motor (do I need 2 motors) Trolling and speed?
Length?
Brands to stay away from?
Can I get anything decent for this price???

Thanks for your help.

>I am looking for a boat
>in the $5,000 range (sold
>my ATV lol). I
>am looking to use it
>on small and large lakes
>(mainly for fishing). However, I
>would like to use it
>for water skiing.
>
>Usually, I will have 5 people
>(2 adults and three kids).
>
>
>Here are my questions:
>
>Inboard or Outboard?
>Size of trolling motor (do I
>need 2 motors) Trolling and
>speed?
>Length?
>Brands to stay away from?
>Can I get anything decent for
>this price???
>
>Thanks for your help.

Until you said "Skiing" I woulda said I had a deal for you, my 87 SeaRay great for fishing... sadly its just a tad underpowered for skiiing (great mpg though for fishing... fill'er up once a year and you are gtg LOL).

-DallanC

Hey Ruff, inboards start at about $15,000.00. The smallest you could ski behind I can think of would be a Smokercraft Lodge, or Tracer in 15/16', they will take a 40 horse outboard and would run you around $8,000.00 boat motor and trailer -though you may find a deal on a used one. I would advise at least a powerful electric motor (65lb thrust) as a back up and trolling motor in case of main motor failure. If you really want to get five people in a boat and be able to ski, etc., I would do payments on a 15-20,000 dollar rig like an Alumaweld Intruder 18', Weldcraft Maverick 18', Duckworth Advantage 18', or Hewescraft Sea Runner, or Sportsman in 17-18'. If you went with something 17-18' you would want a second gas motor in 4-6 horse power.
-Dman

For 5,000.00 you can forget about the skiing and just look for a good used fishing boat with outboard.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-06 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]Stick with an outboard. Stay away from Force, Chrysler and Suzuki outboards and Bayliner boats. Just my opinion from 30 years of owning and running fishing and work boats. 5 grand is kind of a tough range to get into a good all-around boat. Concidering that a decent (new) galvanized trailer will run you a couple to several grand alone. Your best bet is to shop around, find the boat that you want or will fill your needs, put your 5 g's down and finance the rest. Dont just settle on a boat, you will regret it! Also, find a good (gently) used boat. New boats are a waste of $$$$. They depreciate so fast that it is rediculous.
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

Great points, I appreciate it. I am going to do a lot of shopping around. It looks as if I will need to spend more$$$ or stick with a fishing boat.

After hearing some opinions it sounds as if an Outboard might be a better choice. Thanks again

I would say you will need a 80 horse or larger for skiing and 5 people on board. I would look at a Stratos Fish and Ski in the 1990 old or slightly newer. The merc motors of that era are carberated or if you are real lucky EFI. You can usually pick one up for 8000 or less and to be truthful the condition of the exterior and interior will tell you tons about the boat. The outboard motors are the real interest here as they are what could cost you lots of money to repair. Make sure you take a test drive and load and unload your boat from the trailer. The greatest boat in the whole world ain't worht crap if it is a pain to trailer. I own 6 boats now, including two that can pull skiers. If the owner was a serious boater he will have a stainless prop on the outboard, check it for dings and look hard at the lower unit for dings and a bent skeg. I have owned boats for over thirty years and enjoy every penny I dump into them.
Electric trolling motors are another issue most are cheap to replace only 500 or so and I would get one that mounts on the front. It is easier to pull the boat than to push it and in any kind of wind steering straight is so much easier.
Depth finder is another item to look at as they are also in the 500 dollar range look at it closely and ask what year it was installed the newer ones are waaay better than the old.
If you see something you like post on here and I will tell you the ups and downs about that brand and boat.
Walleye central is a good site to visit with any questions.
Driftersifter

Drifter,

Thanks for your help. I will send you some pic's when I find something that I think is good. I used an electric trolling motor on a 14' boat that I used to own.

Can you get that many hours of trolling with an electric motor? I thought that it would be better to troll with a smaller 4-5??? horse gas motor.

But remember, I have little experience with this.

The trolling motor battery determines how long you can troll. I have used gas engines too ( I own 4 more engines than boats) but the hassle of turning around to start one everytime you feel the need to move is more than I want to do when I'm fishing Plus the additional noise. Now if youare trolling fast enough to make a rapala wiggle 1.5 mph then you will run that battery down in about 6 hours, with a marine deep cycle battery.
Where do you live? I'm from wisconsin and I fish a lot more than my spouse would like. I do see a lot and have fished out of many boats. Keep asking the questions and I will answer as best I can.
P.S. Aluminum boats ride harder but are cheaper to maintain than glass boats but glass keeps its value better.
Name and model of boats are very important so let me know as much about your prospects as you can.
Driftersifter

IF NO ONE ELSE MENTIONED IT GO TO THE EVERETT BOAT SHOW, YOU WILL GET A MUCH BETTER DEAL AT THE SHOW THAN NORMAL HOURS. -DMAN

check out some of the Tracker boats. they are in the $7-8.000 range but you could drag a tube or one of those bananna boat things behind you for sking. I have a Pro Angler V-16 with a 60hp Mercury on it that I find works well. never tried to pull a skier behind it, but put a buggy board and a round tube with the kids on it and have gone faster than they wanted to go with it, kids have a blast being pulled.

Nate

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-06 AT 07:57AM (MST)[p] I have just the boat for you!! I am gettin a new one. Im me if your interested!! For you my friend I will make a good deal
Rut

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-06 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]Drifter,

I live in Utah. I always thought that I would need a larger 120 horse range motor, and a 2-5 horse for trolling??

I guess the electric motor may be a good option. After looking for boats last week I am almost to the point of waiting and saving for a boat in the $8000 range. There seems to be a big difference if you are willing to pay in this range.

Here is a boat that IMO, looks like a good deal. Granted, I wouldn't travel that far but wanted to know if this is the quality I should be looking for?

Also I am thinking the water-skiing is not a requirement for now. I guess if I can pull the kids around on a tube (or whatever they call them lol) that enough for me.

http://iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=111695

Rut,

I need your number so I can ask you a few questions about your boat. I am heading to Salt Lake or Ogden today to look. You can give me a call at 435-757-9069. Thanks

That kinda looks like what you should be looking for. The yamaha has a good reputation and a 150 will move that boat nicely. Notice however there is nocarpeting on the floor, that can be good and bad. Easy to clean up but nasty to lay down on better have a towel or blanket to lay in the sun. The fishing set up on this boat is an afterthought not its primary purpose.
This is a ski boat that you could fish out of but not easily. I have a basstracker in the 17 ft range with a 60 horse like mentioned above, they can pull a skier but the ride on tin is a lot rougher than on glass. The mileage or fuel use is much better on my tracker than on my stratos. Keep in mind that the stratos weighs twice what a tracker weighs. Tracker doesn't have the best of reputations for quality boat building. If you go on the website walleye central the citics are everywhere about the boats leaking and the factory not real good at warranty work. My top three boat picks: stratos, Ranger, and Lund if your in mind of getting an aluminum boat. These boats have stood the test of time. Triton boats should be the third place glass boat.
Sorry I was on vacation the end of last week.
Driftersifter

It would mainly depend on new or used.
I bought a great used 15' aluminum inboard jet boat for fishing rivers and duck hunting and it is perfect for me. And I paid less than $6000...
Check out craigslist.com and look around...

Stop Global Whining

Easy,

I have checked out that site. I appreciate the help. The one thing I have learned from my many hours of research is this: I know nothing about boats!

I now have a guy who owns a boat repair shop, fielding my questions and helping me out. I should have called him 2 weeks ago.

If any of you have a ski/fishing boat, 17-21' in the $2000-$5000 range let me know. Preferably from Ut/WY/ID area. However, for the right boat, I will travel a little farther. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom