Bobcats, Foxes and Lions

Sierra

Very Active Member
Do you guys see/kill many bobcats, foxes or lions in SE NM? Considering getting the appropriate licenses to hunt them during an upcoming Aoudad hunt, but the high cost only makes sense if i have a decent chance at seeing one.

Thanks!

It probably depends on the unit, but I haven't ever seen any of those three while hunting barbarys over the last nine years, but that may have more to do with how and where I'm hunting barbarys.

Thanks Mozey. I should clarify that we would devote a couple of days strictly toward predator hunting, so it doesn't have to be in Aoudad country. Not sure how much that improves my chances, if at all.

I think that would improve it a bunch. I've heard many hunters complain that too many lions are devastating the deer herd in 30.

If you don't get a tag you will see a ton.... I have been running a trap line in the Gila and it seems there are a ton of foxes this year...

I saw two kit foxes down in Unit 30 a couple weeks ago. I hadn't seen a kit in years, then I saw two in two days. They are pretty easy to call in if they are around. They like the grassy areas from what I've seen.

I call in just as many foxes as coyotes. Bobcats are around, but, you wont likely see one. Mountain lions are a long shot for sure.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I should buy the furbearer license and pass on the lion tag. As I read the regs, non-residents need to buy a furbearer license in order to "hunt" bobcats and foxes.

Hopefully, the upcoming cold weather will help my sheep hunt.

Ray, you have it right. Not sure what the NR lion tag is, but, you could always look at it as a donation to NMGF. It almost always is anyways. Foxes are very active at first light. Most foxes I call in are on the first set. Rabbit in distress is normally the ticket.

BTW... I am not sure when your hunt is but the season for certain fur-bearers(Fox, Bobcats, etc) ends March 15th...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom