Bobcats

Get real lucky!!! You don't see Bobcats around every tree.. I would get some of the Varmit call videos and get real good at calling.. Don't go alone though.. if you are under a tree and you are calling you need sombody to watch your back.. you never know what might come in.. Mountain Lion might sneek up on you

I was out calling last year and had a bobcat attack one of the guys with us. It was a good thing he was a good shot with that 30-30 or he'd got screwed up.

Now we just run a trap line for them and hope we get lucky. I haven't figured out how to really get them to come to a trap. I don't think baiting is legal so we use urine.

tie somthing shiney above you'r trap as they are courious animals and cant help themself from going over and looking

I have seen guys tie the top of anchovie can lids above the trap but that would be bait so look into your proc for any info about bait

tin foil maybe

GOOD LUCK

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

I used to work the big fencelines!
Check to see where they are crossing,look for hair in the barbs or tracks,and make your sets there.
You can even catch them in box traps in good areas.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tips guys, what are my chances of calling one in. I know its not going to an easy task because I live in Colorado and spend a lot of time outdoors and I've only seen two ever.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-03 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]If you call the big, open hill country your chances are zero. Recently I was through some good looking cat country by Trinidad. Rocky bluffs with cedar and pinion growing thick. Find cottontails in this stuff and give a good call. I've called in three this fall and nailed two.

What I like is an electronic caller. It allows me to sit away from the sound and focuses the cats attention. Funny thing about bobcats; 80% of their diet is cottontail rabbits but they seem to come much better to a bird sound.

Don't worry about seeing them. They are there, just call and they'll come.

tom_bobcat_2003.jpg

Hope this helps

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Edhunter thats a big hansome cat you have there. I plan on hunting in the Wet Mountains around Wetmore and on Green Horn Mountain. I've come across enough tracks of Lion, bear, yotes and possible bobcats to know they are there I just haven't been lucky enough to see one. Is there any way to tell a coyote track from a bobcat? I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to bobcat hunting, what kind of calls would you recomend? What kind of time do you put in between siteings? I'm also trying to figure out what elevations to consentrate in during winter months. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-03 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p] Bobcat tracks will not have claw marks on there tracks becuase they retract them but coyote tracks will have claw marks.

I just read in my bobcat trapping book that their toes look like jelly beans where a coyotes are round and bigger. The pad on a bobcat will be quite large compared to the toes while a coyote pad will be smaller. They are very similar.

The best way I've found to tell is a coyote track will appear oval in overall shape where the bobcat is more round. Also, in the snow a bobcat track will have a halo around the track from the hair on thier feet.

I've got some info on building a wireless caller on my website under the coyote page. I use a variety of sounds from bird to rabbit. This is going to sound goofy but I sit on a stand based on how I feel about the stand. I'm not a 10 minute guy though. Most of my coyotes have been sneaking in 20-25 minutes into the stand. I've called 3 bobcats this year and 2 were dead within 5 minutes of starting to call. So I sit up to 45 minutes depending on the birds, weather, stand and how I feel.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom