Bolt Fluting??

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-07 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]Wondering if anyone knows of a good gunsmith/service that could spiral flute a Remington bolt. ALso, anyone ever have this done, what are your thoughts, is it pretty much just for looks or does it do anything, maybe shave a little weight I suppose but not much. Anyway, sure appreciate anything you can tell me.
Thanks

On a Rem. rifle it would be for looks only and would shave very little weight.Fluting on a rifle that has the bolt body riding tight in a channel, like the WBY. does perform a useful function of channeling the dirt and junk into the flutes to allow smooth operation of the bolt. The rem. bolt body has very little contact with the action due to it riding the rails with the bolt lugs.
If you want to spruce up your Rem. bolt body, have it jewelled to improve it's appearence.

RELH

RELH,
Thanks, thats kinda what I thought - seems you see it on some of the custom guns have spiral flutes - looks kinda sexy but like you said no real purpose.

One thing to keep in mind is it can act like a grinder to the cases in the magazine. It will scratch up the brass something fierce.

htnbambi, may depend on the action. My friend's Rem. Titanium does not mar brass.

I've heard they can be a little hard on your fingers if you're not paying attention and have your fingers to close to the bolt when you close it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom