bonded bullets and mule deer

R

rifleman1

been shooting hornady 140gr btsp handloads in my .270 for the last couple of years. wanting to try a new bullet for my upcoming mule deer hunt this season. whats the opinions on performance of the following:

hornady 130gr. interbond
nosler 140gr. accubond
swift 130gr. scirocco

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-04 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]I have been shooting the hornady 140 sst interlocks they been shooting really good at 3000 fps and a bullet co of .495 they seem to do the job so far

i've used the 140 gr hornady btsp for over 20 years and see no reason to change. never had one fail . shot deer from 20 yards to nearly 700. (really, it's a long story) what i like about the hornady is that it hardly ever shoots through, expending all energy inside the animal. even the 20 yarder didn't come out. flattened out like a quarter under the skin on the off side. i've never liked bonded or partition bullets. not even for elk. main thing is the price. noslers are about 4x hornadys. 2nd reason is that they don't seem to do near the damage. bullet doesn't open up as much and it just goes through em. kills em ok. i've seen the same thing with the solid copper bullets like barnes. plus you can't load the copper bullets near as hot. but i'm a strict lung shot guy. if you're a chronic butt shooter or like to crush their shoulder, then the less expanding bullet might be what you want. i use the same style bullet (btsp) in 165 gr. in my 300 and wouldn't change it either. if i was gonna hunt coastal bears or maybe alaska moose, i might use a partition bullet, but i dang sure wouldn't be using my .270 for the bear!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-04 AT 05:31AM (MST)[p]I was curious about the Accubonds performance also. I have some 200 gr. pills for my 300 WSM. I have some 180s for either the 300 Savage or my 30-06. Just loaded some WSMs yesterday with VV N550. Friday is range day.

I just bought some accubonds to load up for a buddy. I was really supprised at how much longer they are than a conventional bullet of same weight. That says to me you aren't going to be able to load them as hot or in other words the velocity will be some what lower. I would be supprised if 7mm 160gr accubonds will shoot as fast as a 175 conventional bullet such as a sierra or interlock.

The reviews that I've read about the accubonds/interbonds seem promising but I just don't know if they've convinced me to switch... IMO a bonded bullet or a Barnes is way over kill for deer. It's been my experience more times than not a sierra 6mm will exit a deer at 200 yards if shot through the slatts...

What it comes down to is gimics and personal prefrence... I just haven't bought into the gimmics "yet"... I was one of those that said I was going to shoot aluminum arrows untill they stopped making them, but switched to carbons last year... So who knows. May when I have a "bullet failure" I'll switch, untill then I'll stick with what has worked for me in the past.

I just think a bonded bullet is not needed for deer. Their not that hard to kill. A conventional bullet will kill any deer out there with ease. If you botch a shot you botch it... no bonded supper bullet is going to kill the animal any better!

Howdy,

Bambistew, I agree with you up to a point. If the hunter chooses to shoot a high velocity magnum, there is a GOOD chance that an old fashioned cup and core bullet with not penetrate on raking shots (animal quartering away) or on shoulder shots (animal quartering toward shooter.) I switched to Scirroco bullets and Nosler partitions just for those very few times when bullet placement was secondary to getting the shot quickly. I think we all have had experiences when we just could NOT get a broad-side shot because of the circumstances. A .308 or .30-06 with regular bullets is a shure-fire set up for 90% of your shots while hunting. I just have a real problem with that last little 10%. When I touch a shot off, I want confidence that the animal is going down QUICKLY. That confidence is worth the extra $ to me compared to the $ of cup and core bullets.

Coach

I agree with Coach Hunt. Most new high velocity magnums need a bonded bullet especially at close ranges. I also think it is good insurance in just about any cartridge used for hunting deer and elk at the same time. Also, at least in my rifle, my bonded bullet out shoots any other bullet I've loaded. So thats another reason they appeal to me. I do agree a "conventional" bullet fits the needs of most hunters, but why not use the technology that is out there? mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom