Book Cliffs Bison

bonepiler

Hey--Check out the post under the "Utah" section. If anyone would ever like another huntable herd of bison in Utah, please follow what the post says. Seems some legislators and Uintah County Commissioners are trying to shut down a proposed bison release in the Book Cliffs.

It is really unfortunate that the Anti- wildlife ranchers are opposed to sportsmen being able to get a return on investment and increase herds.

The sportsmen of the Uintah Basin need to ask their county commisisoners why they are opposed to the transplant considering the following:

1. The Oil and Gas Companies support the transplant
2. The only rancher in the area, Bert Delambert, supported the transplant in writing.
3. The local Bison working group supported the plan.
4. The RAC in the basin supported the plan
5. The Wildlife Board supported the plan.
6. As pointed out, ther are already Bison in the area, moving off tribal lands onto BLM lands in the area.
7. Several million sportsmen dollars have been spent to acquire ranches and increase forage in the Book Cliffs.

The transplant has been delayed for a year due to blood testing issues.

There are som pro wildlife ranchers, but there are a few anti-wildlife ranchers and politicians who are dinosaurs who are going to fight to the death, rather than change and survive.

SFW is deeply involved in this issue and won't back down until the Bison herd in the Book Cliffs reach 400 or so head as called for in the plan.

Don

Yeah that is real intelligent. Let the buffs and the ponies run free out there and lets keep it a wild part of the west. Less exploration, less drilling and less encroachment on great wildlife habitat.

I'm all for it.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I will paste the original post from Longtyne in the Utah Forum to the bottom of this post. All that would like to see more opportunity to hunt and view bison in Utah should follow his advice. I would also like to note that the private ranches the DWR purchased from willing sellers had significantly more grazing rights associated with them, than the proposed number of bison would ever use. These bison will not out-compete local ranchers' cattle for forage. In fact, because the land will be grazed at a lower rate than previously it should leave more forage for elk and could even reduce competition between cattle and wildlife in nearby areas. It is a win-win situation and the ranchers most likely to be affected have recognized that and have even voiced their support. This situation is disappointing to me, I don't know why a few individuals have to continually pit wildlife against livestock interests when there are so many examples of how the two can be compatible and even complimentary.

Dax

Original Post by Longtyne

"Sounds like a few legislators from NE Utah are trying to shut down the buffalo re-introduction plan for the Book Cliffs. It has already been approved by the Regional Advisory Council and the State Wildlife Board. The legislators are claiming that they havent heard from the Sportsman on this issue - so they are opposing the re-introduction for the ranchers. If you are in favor of this issue shoot an email to:
Gordon Snow - Utah State Representative (District 54)
[email protected]

Jon Mathis - Utah State Representative (District 55)
[email protected]

Kevin Vantassell - Utah State Senator (District 26)
[email protected]

The formal buffalo plan can be found below if you are interested in reading it:

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/info/nov7.pdf"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom