Book Cliffs Help

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
My muzzleloader hunt for deer, on the Book Cliffs, is fast approaching. I was down there a few weeks and found all the deer up high (as I was told they probably would be).

I am heading down there this coming weekend for one last scouting trip. Should I start scouting high or do you think the deer are migrating down lower?

I'm still learning the area but look forward to being down there the entire hunt. If anyones is interested in meeting up for a scouting trip this coming weekend, send me a PM. Any last minute advice or tips would be welcomed. Thanks!

They will still be high. I will send you a pm.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'm hunting Elk on the Books right now, going back in a few days. I'll be honest with you, I've hunted deer there 5 times in the past ten years and I won't buy another tag until things change. The unit has been over hunted. If your looking for quality try the roadless area. Up top Horse Canyon and ridge have been good in the past, but I haven't seen 5 bucks in three days. Hope you find a good one!

Thanks for the help and the PM's. I am looking forward to the hunt. This hunt will be a little different than my past hunts. I'll have have my sons there for the weekend and hopefully, a few friends.

Its been a hile since I have hunted deer. About all we draw are elk tags (which is great), but I am excited to see what a mule deer looks like lol...

Great people on this site no doubt..

Just_86 seems to be out there all the time. I'd follow his recommendations. I have been out there many times shortly before or during the rifle hunt, and most of the deer I have seen are transitioning to lower parts. The earliest I have been up there was early October and I saw some nice deer off of Tom Patterson ridge. Best of luck to you!

I just got back from down there we seen quite a few bucks a lot of crab 4x 2,3,4 but not a lot of mass and such we seen one buck ,my brother off one ridge i think it was black horse but i could be wrong didn't have a good map. it went 3-4 inches past each ear (4 point). we seen quite a few bucks just not a lot of big bucks but i was only there a couple of days. good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom