BOOK CLIFFS MUZZ

U

unclewalty

HEY MY SON DREW THE BOOK CLIFFS MUZZELOADER CAN WE EXCPECT TO FIND A DECENT BUCK THERE?

What do you consider a decent buck? My sister and Dad had archery tags out there last year and my brother has an archery tag this year out there. We have spent quite a bit of time on the unit last year and this year.

If you consider a 150ish class buck decent, you will have a great chance of finding one and killing one and there are A LOT of bucks around smaller than that to choose from. There are some big bucks (170+) around but very few and far between and tough to find once the hunts start.

My Dad killed one of the better pure 4 points we saw during the bowhunt and it scored high 160's. Here is a pic:

DadBuck1.jpg

My sister's buck was smaller and pretty representative of a lot of the bucks you will see out there:

TenilleBuck2.jpg

There are tons of deer out there and it is a very fun place to hunt and explore. You should have a great hunt, but be clear that the Book Cliffs is NOT a premium trophy unit.

What's decent???
If you think a 22 inch 3x4 is decent then you should be very excited for the hunt. If you wont settle for anyhting but a 180 buck, then you better gets some good boots and some good optics.
Your son should have a great hunt, and you should see plenty of bucks to choose from.

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES AND THE INFO. THE BOY IS PRETTY EXCITED NOW I GET TO DO THE RESEARCH AND TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHERE IN THE UNIT TO START. WELL SEE WHAT SIZE OF A BUCK HE IS WILLING TO HOLD OUT FOR.

You should have a great hunt you coming in from the south or North

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

4a6a423c4833647f.jpg

I drew the expo tag for your same hunt last year. We son tons of bucks and I passed up many many large bucks and missed the big one the second to last day I could hunt. I think the largest buck we saw was close to 30 inches. I got this guy the last day I could hunt. Not huge, but man that is one of the most fun hunts out there. You will see tons of bucks and a few really nice ones!

NOW THAT GETS THE BLOOD PUMPING. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT THERE WITH BOY ITS ALL WE TALK ABOUT. WE SHOULD HAVE A GOOD TIME COULD YOU PM ME ABOUT WHERE IN THE UNIT WE MIGHT CONCENTRATE THANKS

My buddy killed this buck on the muzzy hunt a few years ago. Though narrow, with no eyeguards, it still officially grossed 191 and netted 187.

Yelum

4a7613bc4e66e733.jpg

WOW! THAT IS ONE HEAVY BUCK. I HOPE THE BOY CAN HOLD HIS GUN STEADY IF HE SEES ONE LIKE THAT THANKS FOR THE PICTURE AND HOPE.

Topform,

You passed that buck, what did you end up shooting? Yeah he is narrow, but he had really good forks. Great video.

Dax

I would have shot that buck in the video in a heartbeat. That's one sweet buck, I love the tall bucks. What did you end up shooting after passing on a hawg like that??????

I passed up a lot bigger bucks than that, but ended up settling on the last day I could hunt...I posted a picture a few replys up. I guess that is what happens when you are picky. As far as character, I liked that tall buck the best too.

I posted a picture a couple of replys up. I shot him the last day I could hunt after passing on many bigger bucks...I guess that is the gamble you take

oops! Guess I should have noticed that. Well, that's a nice buck too. That one in the video is a stinkin Hawg though!

The muzz hunt is probably the least favorite hunt up there but with that said, it is still better than any general unit. The deer become more scarce from what I've noticed in September and to boot their coats are changing and they blend in better. I would invest in some good glass if you don't have any as the Books are perfect for glassing. There's a lot of country to cover so don't invest too much time in one little area. And like whats been said, a good symmetrical 4 with decent mass and width shouldn't be passed up.

HEY SOME ADVICE YOU CAN SINK YOUR TEETH INTO THANK YOU. WE DO HAVE SOME PRETTY GOOD GLASS, AND KNOWING THAT THE AREA IS CONDUCIVE TO THAT TYPE OF HUNTING IS VALUABLE INFO. I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE THE HEADS UP. MAY NOT BE THE BEST TIME TO GO THERE BUT FOR THE BOY IT IS GOING TO BE SOME GREAT TIMES. DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I WILL BE ABLE TO HUNT WITH HIM SO WE ARE GOING TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT

I disagree. I think the Muzzle loader is the best time to go there. Unless it gets really cold, the deer will still be on top. Last year they were all still on top. My cousin drew the rifle tag and they hadn't really moved down low the first weekend of the hunt.

Here's a pic of a buck I took on the muzz hunt a few years ago.

2005BookCliffs1.jpg

2005BookCliffs2.jpg

During my hunt, the bucks were already were heading off the top. I think part of the reason why was all the LE elk hunters and their friends looking for elk on top.

Smokepole

I had a ML deer permit out there a few years ago and the biggest problem I had was there were more bear hunters running dogs than there were deer hunters! Had everything scattered from hell to breakfast!

Keep posting pics. I am a NR with an archery tag and I love hearing about the unit. I have never been in it but I will be by thursday and am waiting to see who is right. The there is no quality crowd or the its the best hunt I have ever been on crowd. May be I will get lucky and blunder into one or just strike out but man I am jacked about going.

More pics please.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-09 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]Was out there last weekend looking around. Counted around 100 bucks in one evening and one morning. The biggest was in the low 170's, but most of the larger deer were in the 150's. This is what you'll see around every corner.

4a7e411803822df5.jpg

One thing I realized after we left is that there were so many deer close to the road that we were somewhat distracted and didn't spend a lot of time looking past them into the draws and canyons. There may have been something better further from the roads and we just didn't spend the time to find them. Make sure your not too distracted by all the deer that are easy to find because there will be a lot of them on the archery hunt.

Also, around 10am when everyone heads back to camp...keep hunting. You may be suprised what you'll find. We found deer until 1pm and saw some of the biggest between 10am and 1pm standing up to strech and get a snack.

They do look nice and healthy this year don't they. Good Luck on all the hunts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

That looks like a nice one...probably my vote for some of the best you got pics of

Out there 3 weeks ago, we saw 73 bucks in one evening and the next morning... Most close to the road, but we did glass a bit and found some bucks that, had we been hunting, we would ahve hiked to to get a better look... This pic above from Hunter1975 is a great indicator of the 4 points out there...

We saw 12 bucks that were earwidth, nice forks somewhere in the 150" range. We saw one group of 3 bucks just 3 feet from the road that were better, like 170" class. One of them was easily 28" wide, and tall with deep forks and I would be comfortable saying he was pushing 180", but he was the only one of his class we saw.

You'll have a fantastic hunt... I'm jealous

I would like to see the results of your hunt?? Did you or anyone for that matter connect on the Muzzy hunt this year??

WE HAD THE HUNT OF A LIFETIME THE ZONE WAS AS DESCRIBED BY MANY OF THE CONTRIBUTORS. NO REAL TROPHYS BUT A LOT OF BUCKS WE SAW PROBABLY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF 150 BUCKS NOTHING REAL BIG BUT MY BOY DID GET A DECENT BUCK BEFORE WE LEFT I SKINNED THAT ONE BUCK POSTED ON THIS SITE MET A LOT OF NICE PEOPLE AT OUR CAMP. O YA BY THE WAY MY NAME IS ACTUALLY LARRY MY BUDDY WALT LET ME USE THIS COMPUTOR MY SON IS WES THANKS FOR THE INFO AND WHEN MY BOY FIGURES OUT HOW WE WILL POST A PICTURE, RIGHT NOW WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO NEW MEXICO WE DREW 16A FIRST SEASON AND R GOING EARLY TO TRY AND SCOUT IT OUT AHEAD OF TIME ANOTHER HUNT OF A LIFETIME CANT BELIEVE IT WE'LL LET U KNOW HOW THAT ONE GOES THANKS AGAIN THE ZUFFENETTIS

Larry and Wes are the best cali boys around! It was sure a fun time out there making some new friends.

Thanks again Larry and Wes for helping with Devin's buck and some great Elk stew! Good luck in NM...better learn to post pic's soon!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom