Book Cliffs Rifle Tag Drawn Last Minute

U

ultramag81

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-09 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]I just got word today from Utah F&G that I was drawn as an alternate for a Book Cliffs Buck tag. If I had been chosen in the draw like normal I would have had plenty of time to make a scouting trip over there and check things out. I live in Oregon and the hunt is less than 2 weeks away so that is not an option. I am looking over maps and google earth trying to find out any info at all. I will call the biologists tomorrow but I was just wondering if there was any info that you could share as well. I hunt hard and like to put the miles on the boots. I just want to make the most out of this last minute tag.

Any info would be appreciated.

With the early storms you are going to be in for a great hunt in the books. Scouting trips out there early are usually only good for learning the country and finding where the roads go and better yet where they don't go.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like a few pointers. I've hunted out there with friends and family 3 times in the last 5 years on the rifle hunt and we've shot some pretty good bucks.

My dad got that same call last week! Luckily for us, we've been out there a lot this summer for my elk hunt, and being from the Basin, we've spent a lot of time out there.

I would recommend staying low. The cold will definitely push the deer to lower elevations. Since you don't know the area, and you can't make a scouting trip, my suggestion is to follow the crowds, but keep your distance. It is a big area, and there will be plenty of people out there who know where they are going. There is also plenty of area for you to get away from the rest of them. You will find deer just about everywhere out there.

Good luck!

Jason

I would be more than glad to help you out with some info I go out there frequently and live right here in the basin Since there is to much to type about the books cliffs I will just give you my phone# it is 435-823-2104 If you get to the good spots it should not be hard at all to find a shooter buck.

It was a fun hunt. Lots of little bucks. Lots of people and atv's. I glassed over a 100 bucks and hiked alot of canyons trying to get away from the crowds. Ended up shooting an old heavy white faced 3x4. He was only about 24" wide but he was definitely the biggest buck that I seen. It was fun glassing so many deer but if I had the points to draw I would probably wait a few years and draw a different tag.

Lets see a picture of your buck.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

that is an older buck.
thanks to dwr management alot of bucks never get any bigger than 24"
it could be good,but thanks to sw & others & poor management the only noticeable changes to the unit have been for the worse.
ya,oh the opportunity!
nice job on hunting hard & seeing how the tards/dwr destroy units.

VJ
49ca8f1a4fbfdf37.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom