Book Cliffs Roadless Bison

hoss

Not sure my opinion on this, but lets hear what everyone thinks. They have been doing a bison hunt in the Roadless area of the book cliffs, people are not seeing any bison, say its super difficult, and that they have seen the Indians pushing them back on the Rezervation. Most of the people I have talked to have seen ZERO bison. Its not a huge area, and theres lots of horse trails to cover the entire unit. Maybe someone thats actually been there can give us a report?? Is this true? If there is no bison, should the DNR do something about it? I mean they have collared bison, so someone should know...

Maybe if folks are so into having a guarantee that their target animal is unable to leave their unit they should consider traveling to Texas. I hear they have units that fit that bill perfectly

Buddy had end of October cow tag last year. From those I talked to the bison were very tough to find from about Sept 20-October 20. Gratefully they moved back in and he harvested his cow day one and most people we talked to where seeing bison agian. Good luck.

Who said they seen the tribal members pushing the buffalo. I’ll call them out on that one. Some people make up wild stories. They probably seen Bigfoot too.

I’ve had friends and family hunt the roadless buffalo several times. The buffalo don’t need to be encouraged much. They know where they’re safe.

Similar to elk, bison aren't stupid and have learned to head to areas with the least amount of hunting pressure! With an Indian Res adjacent to the roadless area it isn't too terribly difficult to figure out where the bison end up.

Utah bison seasons are open from August through January with additional seasons squeezed into this time frame just about every year! Bison get pounded with hunting pressure during the entire time-frame these short seasons are open. There is no wonder harvest % and the quality of bulls has declined.

Obviously, the numerous short season dates with more tags offered creates an incredible amount of hunting pressure compared to the longer season dates with fewer tags available offered years ago.

I have around 27 nonres bison pts and haven't been too terribly excited about any of the current options. I understand the frustration of others that wait so many years for a once in a lifetime type hunt. Maybe I should try a "canned" Antelope Island bison hunt if they ever open a pref pt tag to a nonres?

How many additional bison seasons will be added in 2024-5?

Last edited:
Similar to elk, bison aren't stupid and have learned to head to areas with the least amount of hunting pressure! With an Indian Res adjacent to the roadless area it isn't too terribly difficult to figure out where the bison end up.

Utah bison seasons are open from August through January with additional seasons squeezed into this time frame just about every year! Bison get pounded with hunting pressure during the entire time-frame these short seasons are open. There is no wonder harvest % and the quality of bulls has declined.

Obviously, the numerous short season dates with more tags offered creates an incredible amount of hunting pressure compared to the longer season dates with fewer tags available offered years ago.

I have around 27 nonres bison pts and haven't been too terribly excited about any of the current options. I understand the frustration of others that wait so many years for a once in a lifetime type hunt. Maybe I should try a "canned" Antelope Island bison hunt if they ever open a pref pt tag to a nonres?

How many additional bison seasons will be added in 2024-5?
Stop putting in to give me better odds!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom