Book Cliffs tag=New spotting scope

albubba

Now that a have a Book Cliffs deer tag I am going to get a new spotting scope.
I think I want the Vortex Skyline. Not ED.

So now here are the questions.

1- Should I go with the staight or angled, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

2-Who can get me the best deal? Payson Sports is selling the angled for $429. Can anyone beat that?

Thanks for any help.

I like the angled myself. It is easier on the back/neck when looking for long periods of time. The only drawback I had was getting used to locating where you are looking, it is different than locating a spot with a straight scope. Now that I am used to it, it is just as easy.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

I have an angled nomad and love it. I like how the scope body rotates on the tripod mount. It gives you a lot more viewing options than straight does. Here it is rotated for very comfortable window mount viewing.
ggpics016.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.trophyblogger.com/Andymansavage

I have both the skyline and the nomad,
it has been said several times, the Skyline
is a little to big to throw in your pack,
and it also takes a real sturdy tripod but is
fantastic glass.

I bought the Nomad angled for hiking, the
angled is better because you don,t have to
use a real tall tripod, I just bought one
of the new vortex lightweight tripods and love
it.

Just My 2 Cents

I use the Leica 77 in a "straight" and love it.

My buddy has my same scope but angled and i can't find a damn thing in it!!

Angled are for bird watchers, Pro likes looking at airplanes, tweety birds and the moon instead of big stinky's. Lol

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Archery, rifle, or muzz tag, and how many points, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm hoping to draw an archery tag soon (sitting on 7 BP).

I can't agree more slamdunk. I use a straight and when I look through a buddies angled I can't find anything. To each there own.

IB

I had 8 points and drew the rifle tag.

Now if I can get some of you Basinites help a guy out.
Any info would be great.

Thank to all for the input so far.

I have the scope you are looking for. It is a great scope for the money. I bought mine from Doug at Cameraland in NY. He is great to deal with! I have the angled and had a straight Nikon scope before that. If you spend a little time practicing finding things with the scope it becomes pretty easy. I now prefer the angled scope.

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I was looking at getting a new spotter as well, and was just wondering how the Vortex Skyline compares to the Alpen 788?

Kylek I was thinking of the same thing.
I have been looking at a new spotting scope too.
Dont know much about the vortex stuff other than what I read here.
I do know I want to 'try' and stay under $1000
I have bought a Zeiss conquest scope and binoculars recently and love them so I imagine the Zeiss diascope spotters are as good or better than the Conquest line.
I also have looked at NIkon spotter xl.
I know the ziess is about $1500+ so that would put me into Leica and Swarovski prices too.
Anybody have other suggestions for spotters under $1000?
Thanks
Jeff

cohntr6-

I see that Leupold has a new spotter that compares to "the big three" (Zeiss, Swaro, and Leica)but i have not looked at the price yet.

Being in the guide business for as long as i have, i have seen all scopes in action, older ones too new ones.
Personally i am a Leica 77 guy, and not the APO version either. I had both side by side on the mountain at dusk and there was NOT $500 more of a difference between the two, even the guy who had the APO Leica was shocked.

A am NOT a Zeiss fan as far as spotters go, but their glasses are second too none, ESPECIALLY the old "Classic" 10x40's.

A fellow guide has the new Zeiss spotter and it was "fuzzy" on the outside edge of the glass when looking through it. He sold it and went back to the Swarovski.

My guiding optics arsenal consists of this-
Leica 77 scope (for long range looking)Bogen tripod
Nikon XL scope for my back pack and going in for a kill.
Zeiss classic 10x40 bino's.
Swarovski 8x30 SLC bino's for closer range looking.

Good luck with whatever ya choose!! :)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Thanks slamdunk.
I would be interested to see what the leupold has to offer.
How do you like the spotter xl?

I got my 'stimulus package' today, lol, only if the wife didnt want a bunch of new furniture!

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom