Bookcliffs Muzzleloader or Rifle???

W

woodpile53

Which hunt would offer the best chance at a quality deer??Not looking for a monster just a nice buck.

I think the rifle is the way to go. I drew in 04 on the rifle tag and passed up a bunch of nice bucks and shot a 188 typical 4X4 and I was only there 3 days.

From what you read on MM next year might be tough? I don't know but this year sounded rough on the bucks, to wait a year or two might be the number one question.

my wife had the rifle tag this year. we saw a bunch of small bucks but only one descent buck. I was a little disappointed we didnt see more mature bucks. She did shoot a heavy horned 4 point, that was 27 inches wide, but this was the biggest buck we saw. she is very happy with her buck.

EH4

My brother had a ML tag this year and hunted hard the whole season. He was quite disappointed saw mostly 140-150 type bucks. He did see one buck that would probably go at least 185 but he couldn't get a crack at him. He ended up taking a 165 inch 4x7 with a 21 inch spread; not what he was hoping for.

I would choose rifle. If next year is like this year with all the weather and snow early, you will not only see a "decent" buck, but chances are you might run into a hog.

Thanks for your ideas guys,i have about 9 bonus points here in Utah and I am just looking for a good place to put in for.Any body here anything good about the crawford mountains latley??

Thats how the Books are managed. While there are some hogs your mostly going to get a 140-160 inch deer. It is not a Trophy Unit like the Henry's and the Pauns. People need to remember this. It is a great unit with a chance at a nice deer, and maybe even a hog, but it is not a trophey unit.

Kirt,,I just wanted to let you know I visit your web site all the time,,Great Info.,Keep up the good work.

Glad you like it and find it useful.

I wish I had your 9 pts for deer. :) You have some flexibility with that many points. Good luck no matter which way you go.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom