Bookcliffs roadless bear hunt

Jq23

My buddy drew a bear tag for the bookcliffs roadless unit. I've hunted the unit for bears a handful of times but have always came in from the south end, sego canyon. Now that that access is closed we are coming in from ten mile knoll.

I've never been in from that way and was wondering how the road is getting up to the trailhead?
We'll be pulling a horse trailer.
Any tips or suggestions on where to find a bear? I know there's bears and glassing is key but anyone hunted from this side and have a decent spot to glass from?
Thanks.

The Main Seep Ridge Road Is Paved Almost To The Divide Road But Not Quite!

The Road Is Usually Perty Good After You Hit The Dirt But There Will Be Places Where's It's Just A Little Rough Here & There!

I Haven't Been Out There This Spring,What I'm Saying Above Is The Average Of What It Usually Is!

I'd Take At Least 1-2 Spare Tires For Everything You'll Be Dragging/Taking!

I'd Make Sure You Know Where You're At In The Roadless,There's Tribal Ground That Borders Part Of Where You'll Be Hunting & I'll Guarantee There Ain't A Bear In There Worth Getting Caught On The Tribal Side,So If You've Got ON-X Or Something Similar That'll Be A Plus!

Best Of Luck On Your Hunt & Be Safe!

I had a bear tag out there in 2022 but wasn’t hunting the roadless, having said that we did have hounds in the morning, then went out glassing midday and evenings. Seen some bears over by 10 mile knoll on the road side of the unit boundary. The bears seemed to be crossing in from the roadless portion working their way down into the oak brush.

I will offer some advice driving up there. Once you start climbing the mountain about 20 minutes past Ouray, be careful, it’s tempting to speed. There is some big swells in the road that are hard to see. Idk if they’ve been fixed since then but when I had my deer tag in 2020 I about blew out my axle on my trailer. My father in laws friends didn’t get as lucky as me, and blew out his axle on his camp trailer. Just use caution and try not to speed. I know the big swells are there and they’ve still got me more then once 😂

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom