Bookcliffs split

jhibbs

I am a non-resident with 14 points and was considering putting in for the Bookcliffs rifle hunt. My question is, now that they have split the unit, which is better north or south. Does one hold more deer or bigger deer than the other and does one have more road less areas than the other. Opinions on other units in this point range are welcome.

Thanks,
Jody

The quality is essentially the same, however there are more deer on the north. As well as more country with better access. The books as a whole I nowhere near what it was even 5 years ago. They're giving way too many tags and it shows. If you are expecting the quality of bucks that you kind find in old pictures or what was there years ago, you will be disappointed. It can be a fun hunt, but if you're not going to be satisfied with a 160-170 buck, you might wanna look into other units.

There were not too many guys post their BC Bucks last year. You'll notice that harvest data is very similar between the two areas last year. What has been said is pretty true. The north has more deer and more access, hence, more tags. Plenty of canyons are roadless in both areas. I think it's really a toss up between the two. A 160" buck is a good buck in the Books. I fear that far too many deer smaller than that are killed every year though...

If you are wanting a guaranteed tag this year, you will have to look at another hunt anyway. Looks like North or South, you'll be in the bonus tags, but there will be about twice as many applicants as tags, so youre looking at about 50% chance either way at a Bonus Tag.

Good luck.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. A 160-170 class buck does seem to be all anyone can expect on the books based on the postings over the past few years, which in my opinion is still a decent buck. Although occasionally someone knocks down a good one.

The other unit I was looking at was the west desert Vernon. It kind of sounds like a very similar situation. I am mainly looking for a fun hunt with enough open country and roadless areas so that I can get in a few miles to try to avoid the crowds.

Thanks again and good luck in your upcoming draws,
Jody

The Book Cliffs certainly has plenty of roadless country to get in and avoid the crowds. Problem is, most the deer are right down where the crowds are. You can try to catch them as they come off the mountain, but unless you really know where to be, you might spend days without seeing any deer. It goes against what applies on almost every other hunt. You have just as good, if not better chance of knocking down a monster on the rifle hunt by road hunting with the rest of pumpkin parade.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom