Booked and ready

joebuck

I've booked the floatplane and the time off work. We fly out on Sept. 30 for Moose, Caribou, Sheep, Goat and hopefully Grizzly if I can draw a tag. Gonna pack the fishing gear too so we can haul in a few honkin' lake trout for dinner. Only 5 1/2 months to go, I better start packing my gear.

Where are you headed Joebuck? I know its in northern BC, i was just wonderin what general location. How many days are you going for? I am interested in having a float plane fly me into an area and doing a hunt like you are, but im concerned about the cost of just the flight. What is your plane trip costing you, if you dont mind me asking. I might have to wait and do a trip once im out of college ;)

Good Luck on your hunt, and make sure to take lots of pics!

Just to give you an example on price Matt. The plane my buddy has used for the last three years is $800 round trip. That is about a 20 min flight.
Chris

This trip is gonna be about $2000 for round trip air fare. We're taking two plane loads so that totals four grand plus taxes.

To answer your question Matt, we'll be flying northwest of Dease Lk. about 120 km. There's a bunch of lakes near the Jennings River.

That sounds like its gonna be an awesome trip Joebuck! I knew planes costed quite abit from when i guided in the yukon last summer. I just didnt know the approximate amount. If i could get 4 people, and if the plane could take that many and their gear and whatever we would happen to shoot????? then that wouldnt be too bad for me to afford. I hope you have a succesful safe hunt! Good luck, and thanks for the response!

Well if you're taking four guys you would have to limit what you shoot. A Beaver can haul about 1500 pounds of freight and passengers so four guys and four moose plus all your gear would be a pretty dicey load.(pretty well impossible) If you want to go strictly for sheep however, that would be no problem. Sheep camps tend to be a little lighter load than most others. In fact if you go light enough the pilot might drop the rates to fly you in.

On our trip we plan on taking only two moose maximum and hopefully a caribou or sheep. If we have to we'll pay for a third flight to get all our meat and antlers out. Of course this is all conjecture as we may not get anything at all. In that case we may be able to stuff everything in one plane and save a thousand bucks.

Hey Joebuck, would you mind just sharing a little info about they way you guys hunt when you fly in? Do you set up a base camp with all your gear on the lake you land on, then hunt out of it? or do you leave the majority of your food there, and setup a spike camp? or do you just hike it all into the mountains and hunt out of a high camp? if you're flying in, do you guys use a big wall tent, or would you use just a lighweight one? The reason i'm asking is cause i would like to plan a trip for 2004 (no money this year) for a caribou and mabye a sheep, and i would like to know everything i can.

Thanks, Ryan

For this hunt we'll set up a huge base camp and mostly day hunt from there. We'll also pack a couple Zodiacs to help move around the lake. That way anywhere we shoot something all we have to do is get it to the lakeshore and the boat can do the rest.

I have done other fly in hunts where we set up a base then spike camped from there. If the weather allows it's a good way to go but the packloads can get awful big when you're carrying camp and a load of moose.

We also did a sheep hunt two years ago where we got dropped off at a small lake, hiked into our hunting area and then hiked two days to the pick up lake. It was a great hunt but if the weather turns sour it can really suck.

Overall I like the comfort of the big base camp and a nice warm wall tent. You can eat well, sleep well and dry yourself and your gear by the woodstove with a whiskey every night. I find that if I'm well fed and rested I can hunt better and longer. Plus if the weather stinks I can stay in camp and read a book.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom