Booner RattleSnake Ram

Trammer

I want to share a pic of my first Rocky Hunter. Ron Dallin. Ron Killed a tremendous Rocky on Rattlesnake. With a score of 183, I suspect this is the ram to beat for the rest of Utahs Rocky Hunters.I know I want to shake the hand of any hunter or guide who can beat this ram.

Grand Slam #911

7159023.jpg

Helluva ram Brad!
You certainly know how to get things done.
Congrats to Mr Dallin too. I used to know him a little bit and he seems like a really nice guy.
I'm sure I'll bump into you again, on the hill or at one of the banquets. We'll say "hi" when we do.
Zeke

What a PIG of a Ram! Holy cow, I love the mass! Congrats to the hunter of a fine trophy. Thank you for sharing!

Tallbuck1

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-13 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]Love the way the ram carries it's mass all the way to the tips. Congratulations to you Brad and your little buddy Jim...gotta love the smiles all the way around! And a big congratulations to Ron on making a great shot on one helluva trophy!!!

>That's ok. I don't really want
>to shake your hand. Thanks
>for the offer though.

That is a heck of a Utah ram.
Congratulations to all involved.
The "who's is bigger" game has never added anything to my hunting experience.

Littlebighorn, because trophy animals are taken essentially as wall decorations and bigger tends to be more handsome than smaller.Big is important.Additionally, if big is not important perhaps we should do away with measuring systems like: Boone and Crocket and SCI altogether. Big also generally correlates with old, which is also important. This ram is 10 1/2 years old. I find comfort knowing that this ram has reached its natural life expectancy and that shooting it saved it from being shredded alive by coyotes or a lion. People who take big and old animals are to be saluted for their superior contribution to conservation. The people who do so simply hold the animal in higher esteem than those who shoot small and young ones. Yes... Bigger is important.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-13 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]I can buy the fact that OLD is "important" and BIG is "desirable" yet far less important to conservation.

Big is, however, the most important criteria to some people and I have no place telling them it's not.

It's hard to tell someone else what's important to them and what's not. We all have our opinions!

Congrats again on a big, old ram!

Zeke

Bigger is cooler...better... but kinda of was struck like littlebighorn was...with your last comment you kind of set a chip on your shoulder...it is all about the experince not a competition...just sayin...

Adventurewriter and Littlebighorn, "whos is bigger" has also never taken anything away from your hunting experience. You guys are being presumptuous in concluding that hunting for the best ram somehow takes away from the overall hunting experience. It actually adds to it and enhances it. The goal becomes not just to take a ram but to take the best ram that you can. The hunter then needs to look at more rams to determine which one is best. Seeing more sheep and saving their lives by declining to shoot them are primary contributors to the enjoyment of the overall experience. Also, you are being a little rude at implying that Ron and his family and all 12 members of our hunting party did not have a great hunt and a great experience, because we did. For example, few people know what its like to be pinned down for 6 hours only to be engulfed by a rutting band of wild Sheep.Ron Dallin does. Few people on this planet know what its like to have a wild ram bed down with them.Ron Dallin does. Yes, a ram bedded down with us during the 7 hour stalk of the Big ram! Experiences, that few people have known and will be burned into our brains forever.

Trammer,

Nice ram, congrats to the hunter.

Try to keep in mind that people hunt for a lot of different reasons and to some, "big" isnt even on their radar. Let each hunter paddle their own canoe...no reason to justify your reasons or think less of those that dont care about "big".

I'd rather watch paint dry than hunt with a party of 12 people plus family. I'm sure it was fun for you guys, but it would be nothing but a big PITA and distract from the hunt for me. No way in hell I'd have 12 people in camp on a ram hunt. I mainly hunt solo, sometimes with family or a close friend.

Neither of us is wrong...just different views of what defines a quality hunt.

Your completely missing the point.....I like bigger? and hunt hard for it? it is more of an accomplishment cause really for the most part its lots harder and when you do it succesfully more satisfying?.it does make the hunt that much more challenging and more memorable?it is like they grow a gold medal on their head and your quest if to find the gold?I do it and I like it?gold is rare and to be relished. The taking of my 13 year old Bighorn Ram with one close friend was the hunting experience of my life?.. #1? I couldn't stop grinning for a year.

The hunter and thier group should be happy!!!!! That is a nice ram they deserve to be proud. What struck me wrong and made me post my comment was ?With a score of 183, I suspect this is the "RAM TO BEAT" for the rest of Utahs Rocky Hunters.I know I want to shake the hand of any hunter or guide who can BEAT THIS RAM.? In my view it is not about beating anybody?my experience is unique and deeply personal??.. To much of hunting is d**k measuring and it is why I do 95 percent of my hunting alone. If somebody comes in with a ram a few inches bigger it shouldn't diminish your experience the tiniest bit but from your comment I suspect it would. We should all celebrate everyone success its not a competion in my view. But with that said you can view you hunting experince anyway you like...really

Congrads of being part of taking a great Ram...

Just my two cents
...acrtually I guess that was like six cents...:)

I think he is a great ram. I think his words were fitting to the situation. he was a part of the taking of what he thinks is the best rocky ram in Ut. and wants to know if anyone finds a better ram. simple and direct approach to learning of what the caliber of rams being harvested.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

You know you guys are right. I am always hunting for the big ram and consider it a failure if I dont get it. I hunt for the big ram and the old ram,the best ram in the unit.Thats my style.I do this for the benefit of all other rams.I wont and dont send hunters home with a small ram or a young ram or no ram at all. And I will never classify a failed hunt as a successful one even if everyone had a great time.I dont guide people to 5,6 or 7 year old rams because if I did I would cause 2 rams to die rather than 1. I am offended by hunters who take small rams or young rams.To me they have got no business being a sheep hunter.I am outraged by guides who dont get big or old rams as well. They should change professions. When I sell a sheep hunt I tell all of my hunters that if I ever fail to have the best track record in their unit that I will recommend that they book with the outfitter that does.I hunt for class 5 rams but will reluctantly take a class 4 if thats all that can be found. The sheep and the sheep hunter deserve that kind of performance and attitude.Sheep hunting isnt like deer hunting. It is way more important.Thats why I am competitive.One of my sayings is that choosing your ram is like choosing your wife: you better the right one because you have to look at it and live with it for the rest of your life :) I often guarantee my hunts to be successful and will offer to mortgage my home and buy the hunter an auction tag next year if I cant guide them to a ram. I am proud of my track record.I have 100% success on 135 sheep hunts. This year I guided Utahs biggest Desert and Utahs biggest Rocky. I work hard and I work smart to get those kind of results and I have fun doing it.

Trammer, that's a great ram, no doubt. One that is certainly worth being proud of. But automatically assuming you're the only one that can find and guide on that type of ram is silly. If you think nobody else can find that quality of ram, then you don't know as much of what goes on in that unit as you think. Saying you guided to the biggest desert and rocky in the state this year is somewhat of a foolish hopeful claim. The hunters aren't all tagged out, and I find it unlikely you know of every ram killed and every ram that will be killed. Be proud of the great rams, or any other animals you harvest or guide to. But don't spew out claims that you're some type of untouchable god. I've personally been part of a few kills on rams of that caliber and I'm far from the worlds best sheep hunter. Sorry to burst your happy bubble but there's quite a few guys that are very capable of getting it done on big rams.

While I agree that Trammer's choice of wording in this thread header was not as PC as it could have been, I can assure you he meant no harm by it. Many times, one's written word doesn't portray the essence of what they are really feeling unless they have skill as a professional writer. I know him pretty well (been friends for over a decade now and helped him with all the sheep hunts he guided this year) and he is one of the least offensive guys I've ever been with on the mountain. I also think 99% of his clients would agree with that.
I will also add to it that he is what I would call a "super driven" type of person. The guy is relentless. Some of the things I've witnessed him do over the years for a ram are mind-boggling. I have no reservations saying that he hunts harder for his clients than any other sheep guide in the state. I've witnessed all of them in action at one point or another so I can say that from some good footing. There are other's that can glass as well, there are some that can hike as far, there are some who can guess size as well, and there are some who know some of the areas as well, but none have the total package to the degree that Trammer does. The stats speak for themselves. He is the only 100% successful sheep guide with a resume dating back longer than five years. He's even gone in and played "clean up" for some of the other well known guides after they failed to find their hunters their rams. Yeah, you read that right, they called Trammer to find a ram at the last minute so the hunter wouldn't go home empty-handed!
I relate these stories not to brag, but to give you some idea of what type of guide Trammer is so you know where he comes from when he says that guiding is a competition. For him, it is absolutely paramount that his client's get what they pay for in a guide. You will never see him bounce into a unit, take his hunter to the first ram they see, and tell them to shoot it. (Believe it or not, but I've witnessed some other guides do this very thing, and it is a shame). He will NOT sacrifice one tag to serve another. He treats each tag like it's his own, and each hunter like they are family. If you have beefs with him simply because he may not be the most eloquent typer, you may want to reconsider because you would short yourself the possibility of making a very good friend. Just my 2 cents.

> If you
>think nobody else can find
>that quality of ram, then
>you don't know as much
>of what goes on in
>that unit as you think.
>Saying you guided to the
>biggest desert and rocky in
>the state this year is
>somewhat of a foolish hopeful
>claim. The hunters aren't all
>tagged out, and I find
>it unlikely you know of
>every ram killed and every
>ram that will be killed.
>

Oh but he does! All of the desert hunts are done with the exception of the Beaver Dam unit. And there is nothing in there bigger than the one we got Bodi in the Zion unit on the opener. Bodi's tag was good for both those units so both were scouted and nothing touched the ram we got. Only one ram has ever been shot in the state of Utah that even comes close to Bodi's ram, so the chances someone shoots a bigger desert in the next 5 weeks is more than a long shot. As for the Rattlesnake unit, we've pretty much covered the bases there too. Between last year and this year, we saw probably 90% of the rams in there and nothing was even within 5 inches of Ron's ram. Actually, we passed on Ron's ram last year thinking "we can find something bigger" but it didn't happen. We still ended up getting the biggest ram off the unit last year at 174" which is almost a full ten inches shy of Ron's. True, there could be a wildcard come off the indian ground, or a big brute swim the river from deso canyon that might be bigger, but my money is not on that bet! Yeah, Douglas beat Tyson in a 42 to 1 odds, but I'd say this is like 100 to 1.

Beautiful ram! I love it.
Guide drama... I hate it!

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup, I just stir it.[/font]

I just love when people go off about how nobody can do better, and then the numbers just flat prove them wrong. I just saw where Bowdy Gardner's ram(which from everything I can tell is the ram that rutrings and trammer talk about) scored 169 1/8" gross and 168 4/8" net. An absolute hog of a desert sheep, especially in Utah. But they both(rutrings and trammer) mentioned how they killed the biggest in the state and " Only one ram has ever been shot in the state of Utah that even comes close to Bodi's ram". This ram makes #4 in the state, certainly something to be proud of but obviously not far and away better than anything else.

In fact there was another sheep scored by the same official scorer. "I also measured Taylor Eyre's desert bighorn. It is the new #3 in Utah unless anything else is entered. It scored 169 6/8" gross and 169 2/8" net."

Now don't get me wrong, I'd probably piss down both legs if I ever killed a desert ram over 160". To kill something of the caliber of either of these rams would be more of a dream to me than a reality. I get excited to see a desert ram in the 150s.

But if there's one fact I know about hunting, any kind of hunting; when you think you're better than anybody else at what you do, you're probably not near as good as you think. There's always someone, somewhere that will work harder, smarter, better than you, or they'll just luck into it. Either way be proud and celebrate your accomplishment, but don't count out the next guy.

Did you video your hunt?

6766wsf_mag_ad.jpg

Let me know... I'm looking for films to invite them to submit their short film on the hunt.

Midnight

Please past the word around. Thanks

Hey Whisky Dog,

I believe a sheep that scores under 173 would have to be at least the 4th largest sheep.

There have been at least 3 sheep killed in Utah over 173.
1 from the Virgin River
2 from the Zions Unit

Thanks for the score update. A BC sheep in Utah is very very hard to come by.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-14 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-14 AT 08:49?PM (MST)

>I just love when people go
>off about how nobody can
>do better, and then the
>numbers just flat prove them
>wrong. I just saw where
>Bowdy Gardner's ram(which from everything
>I can tell is the
>ram that rutrings and trammer
>talk about) scored 169 1/8"
>gross and 168 4/8" net.
> An absolute hog of
>a desert sheep, especially in
>Utah. But they both(rutrings and
>trammer) mentioned how they killed
>the biggest in the state
>and " Only one ram
>has ever been shot in
>the state of Utah that
>even comes close to Bodi's
>ram". This ram makes #4
>in the state, certainly something
>to be proud of but
>obviously not far and away
>better than anything else.
>
>In fact there was another sheep
>scored by the same official
>scorer. "I also measured Taylor
>Eyre's desert bighorn. It is
>the new #3 in Utah
>unless anything else is entered.
>It scored 169 6/8" gross
>and 169 2/8" net."
>
>
>Now don't get me wrong, I'd
>probably piss down both legs
>if I ever killed a
>desert ram over 160". To
>kill something of the caliber
>of either of these rams
>would be more of a
>dream to me than a
>reality. I get excited to
>see a desert ram in
>the 150s.
>
>But if there's one fact I
>know about hunting, any kind
>of hunting; when you think
>you're better than anybody else
>at what you do, you're
>probably not near as good
>as you think. There's
>always someone, somewhere that will
>work harder, smarter, better than
>you, or they'll just luck
>into it. Either way be
>proud and celebrate your accomplishment,
>but don't count out the
>next guy.

Ok, first of all, this post is in the wrong thread. This thread is about Ron's Rattlesnake ram, not Bo's Zion desert ram. Ron's ram was officially scored a couple weeks ago and netted 180 and 0/8". So it made book, and was the biggest rocky taken this year that I'm aware of.

Secondly, the comments made were that Bo's desert ram was the "pending state record" while it was awaiting the end of the drying period. Our green score measured big enough that we were fairly confident that it would take the state record or be very, very close to it provided normal drying shrinkage. However, when it was picked up from the taxidermist for display at the FNAWS banquet, it was evident that the said taxidermist had made a critical error in his preparation of the horns, and they had shrunk a great deal. I was not there to pick them up with Trammer and Bo, but I have been told that they were sitting on a shelf above the oven and that they were almost unrecognizable! This well known taxidermist was given detailed instructions of how to store these magnificent horns and he basically followed none of them. I know this sounds like a easy excuse, but it is truth and can be verified.

Anyone who has ever held true B&C scoring horns in their hands can look at the field pictures of Bo's ram and easily tell that it is a 170-175" ram. It's obvious. It was also obvious that it was the biggest desert taken this year, which was also something stated earlier. While it was a tragedy what happened to those horns, it's still a dandy ram, and what Trammer and I said was true until things out of our control happened. Bo's ram was the biggest or second biggest living ram on huntable ground that Utah has ever produced to be shot. Neither it, nor Trammer and I, should be slandered on a website for negligence that happened after the fact by someone else. ANd until you are in possession of all the facts, you may want to quit jumping to conclusions! If there's one thing I'VE LEARNED ABOUT HUNTING, it's that it's easier for some folks to criticize than congratulate!

Maybe you could post the name of the taxidermist so I know to not use him. No horns should be stored above a oven if they are to be officially score talk about taking every ounce of moisture out of the things. I would post his name for us all to know not to use him on our trophies! If not it makes me wonder if it really happened, now its not slander, defamation, or libel if its true lol.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom