Boot Covers - how to size....

T

Texas_Hunter

I am interested in getting some of the Boot Covers that are rated to the -100 F for my father since he doesn't do well in cold weather hunts. I am not sure about what size to get.

He wears an 11....

Medium is 8 - 9
Large is 10 - 11
XL is 12 - 13

The guy I spoke with at teh store said they fit really snug - will the large work in your experience or should I get the XL. Thanks for your help.

If its Arctic Shield, IMHO, its a waste of money. I'm not impressed with any of their products and had them in Alaska where it never got under about zero or so. I was not warm. Thankfully all my eggs were not in one nest.

That being said insulation needs airspace to work. Its why for cold weather boots I put on both socks (wicking and insulating) and then pick a boot thats fairly loose. Hoping I don't have to walk far.

So i'd take the larger size if in doubt. For other options of overboots I've been really happy about the warmth of my newest wiggys sleeping bags. And they offer over boots IIRC.

Good luck, Jeff

Was told some years ago while still workin, that for the rubber overshoes to get a 1" larger size than the boots you would normally wear.

Brian

Thanks for the info - I don't want to waste my money. I bought him some Sorel's a few years ago and we upgraded him to a warmer liner (-60 F) before our Canadian hunt this past year. I got some polar weight wool socks as the first layer with NZ Wool and then some heavier fleece lined socks that were great for me as the outer layer. The boots were bought a 1/2 size big so they would be able to handle the extra bulk of the socks.

I had no problems in the temps with my feet even hunting in stands all day, but it only got to the -10F range one day and most days were in the 10 - 20 F range. He just couldn't keep his feet warm and tried alot of things to keep them warm without any luck. I might just have him buy a 50 or 100 pack of the warmers and have him stuff them in his boots to stay warm when we go this year.

My wife had the same problems with cold feet. Until we bought over size boots. Boots big like as in you don't want to walk too far as mentioned. IE at least one size too big WITH ALL sock layers on.

You might consider bunny boots. The mickey mouse military boots with the air valves in them. They keep my wifes feet very warm. Bought somewhat loose fitting also.

I'd suggest you look into having to use foot warmers(big difference in temps between hand and foot warmers and probably effective heat time too)and they are pretty cheap considering.

Look at Wiggys.com and look into those boot covers for when you get to the stand. Just remember that once the foot gets cold, no insulation will warm it up. So you have to prevent that first. And remember that sweat will make it cold also. So too hot is not good either.

One last thought-- those cheap snow boots that are at Academy--They were like 15 bucks. They are not much waterproof and seem to have simple foam insulation. Like what a foam mattress is made of. But they've always kept my wifes feet warm when its cold and even in and on the snow. The aggravating thing was they worked better down to about zero, than here LaCrosse 150 buck boots. But that was when the boots where too tight...

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom