boot maintenance

ishootaRUM300

do any of you guys do maintenance to your boots? I am reading the lates Eastmans and they are talking about getting the right insoles and socks, but also say that you should be cleaning and conditioning the leather on your highend boots. Just wondering what you do and what you use.

I have noticed the recommended products differ if your boot is made from nubuck or actual leather. Regardless, you want to clean them of dirt and junk after use and clean them and condition them. They will last much longer and probably will last as long as the sole holds out.

Go with the directions form the manufacturer.

I have some Kenetrek stuff that I use occasionally just because they gave it to me when I purchased the boots, I don't think it helps much.

Many people will disagree with me but if you wear a boot a lot the sole, waterproof membrane and stitching will wear out before the leather does if you don't do anything to them.

>I have some Kenetrek stuff that
>I use occasionally just because
>they gave it to me
>when I purchased the boots,
>I don't think it helps
>much.
>
>Many people will disagree with me
>but if you wear a
>boot a lot the sole,
>waterproof membrane and stitching will
>wear out before the leather
>does if you don't do
>anything to them.

Agreed. I have worn the Gore-Tex or the sole out of all my boots before the leather was ruined. I have been hesitant to put leather conditioner on the leather because I was afraid it would hurt the breathability. Maybe that is a bogus concern though, I don't know.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Keeping the leather clean probably is most important. I do apply Obenauf's LP Boot Preservative to mine by recommendation of a boot seller years ago and like the results. It will darken the leather.

I randomly put the stuff on. Agree, I dont think its needed for the leather to make the life of the boot. Ill wear the soles out before the leather is worn out. However, esp if snowy wet conditions, Ill apply it to help bead the water off instead of soaking in the leather.

snowseal once each fall seem to get the water out of the leather,

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom