Boots are overated

alp75

Very Active Member
Ok, so I am out of state on a four day mule deer hunt and I am stuck NOT HUNTING last night and this morning due to some untimely real estate jumbo. Hopefully it actually pays off. Anyways, to kill the time here is my opinion on a simpler subject. BOOTS.

Every time I run into another hunter in the field I find them wearing a good solid boot. Usually full leather and/or goretex with good soles. I on the other hand am wearing shoes...not gym shoes, but a good trail shoe. Vasque makes a couple really good ones with vibram soles. Now, don't get me wrong. I wear boots as well, but ONLY if the mountain is wet or snowy. If it is dry it is always shoes.

Here's why.
-I do a ton of hiking and shoes are much lighter...usually more than a pound or so. This does make a big difference especially when putting in a ton of vert.
-Shoes have a higher level of sensitivity. Which means I can feel branches or pine cones under my foot before crunching them and sending out a alert to those mulies. In other words, I can be much more silent.
-Shoes breathe better. My foot does not end up a sweat ball by the end of the day.
-If you get a good quality pair with a good sole they get as good or better traction. Better traction because a slightly more flexible sole will cling to rocks better than a super stiff boot sole.
-No break in period. A good boot may take a few weeks to break in and be comfortable. I can buy a pair of trail shoes and hunt in them all day out of the box and not a single blister.
-When the weather turn cold I simply wear a good wool sock and I stay plenty warm. Unless it is wet or snowy, then I am in my waterproof insulated boots. I prefer a good ski sock, not the lame hiking or hunting wool socks. They are usually way too thick and heavy and not designed around performance usually resulting in blisters from the sock not the boot. Definately go with a ski sock. I have never had one fall down and bunch up on my foot like some of the hiking/hunting socks.

The one draw back my shoes have is that because I prefer a low cut, on steeper terrain, I sometimes get dirt and small rocks into my shoes that cant when I am wearing my insulated danners.

Ok, so lets here your opinions on what you prefer. If you haven't tried a good pair of trail shoes, they are worth a shake down. Just be prepared to let your boots gather a little more dust.

Good luck in the field guys.

One reason I wear a good hiking boot, SNAKES...I wear Danner boots and haven't had a problem.. The only problem I have had was snakes.. I have had a couple snakes latch on to my boots while out hiking and hunting..

Wow. Were do you hunt. I don't think I have ever ran into a snake while out hunting. That is usually the last thought to cross my mind.

I wear boots because where I go there are too many rocks and I don't want to risk twisting an ankle wearing something without support.

It's Bush's fault!!!

I have always worn boots for hunting, that is what we are trained to do as a little kid. The funny thing is that when I did rim to rim accross the grand canyon this year, I wore hiking shoes, when I go scouting I wear hiking shoes. I use hiking shoes for everything but the hunt. Wearing the shoes would make life easier, but in october at 8-10 thousand feet, you have to have water proof boots available and it is alot of weight to carry in a pack, just in case, when you can carry them on your feet and it spreads out the load.

T

I mostly bowhunt here in southern Utah, so the weather is USUALLY mild and sometimes hot! The last 2 years I have been wearing some Hi-Tek Outlanders. This is the type of shoe I always wear during the archery hunt and have also done so on some LE rifle elk hunts and October deer hunts. They are light weight and comfortable. I always take other heavier boots with me just in case of bad weather, but have rarely switched. With as much as we hike, this type of shoe is a neccesity.

I wouldn't be without my lowa sheep hunters on my timberline hunts. It's just to rocky and steep to risk a twisted ankle.Also if you are packing a pack that weights over 40lbs and you plan on coming out heavy you better have a dang good hiking boot that provides ankle support.Your life amy depend on it. However, I agree that a good pair of light hikers for early season stuff is the ticket.

Mike

Anyone that has hunted with me knows that if it's warm out and bow season I wear New Balance Tennis shoes and the rest of the year Ariat or Stetson Boots. As a journeyman lineman with 18" topped boots and laces from toe to top I have come to hate shoe laces, so no matter how rough the country I'm in pull on boots!

Son

Amen arch3614elk.

One reason I wear a good hiking boot, SNAKES...I wear Danner boots and haven't had a problem.. The only problem I have had was snakes.. I have had a couple snakes latch on to my boots while out hiking and hunting..

I hunt here in AZ. When it's warm enough for those rattlers I wear gators with my boots. I wear an uninsulated gortex boot during the summer and an insulated boot for winter.

cabin

I am almost always in steep and rocky terrain (wasatch and uinta mountains) with a heavy pack on and still prefer the the low cut shoes over boots. I have done many backpack trips into High Uinta wilderness in my choco sandals so twisting an ankle isn't a huge concern of mine. I think by wearing boots you may train your body to rely on the extra support and become more prone to a twisted ankle. No doubt though, boots offer much more protection and support, and though I am not a huge fan, there are times when I find them a necesity. But for me it is usually when it is wet or snowy.

Boots are a very important part of my gear. I have extremely bad knees and a proper fitting boot and sock are more than worth the money. I would not dare walk up a flat trail in tennis shoes. My ankles would be toast instantly. I finally found a boot that fits like a glove, and they required very little break in. I know that my work shoes, no tennis shoes allowed, all requiring break in. Interesting post, what makes the world go round, we all like and prefer different things.

Like it has been said above, There is no way
I am going to hike in steep, rocky terrain with
30 to 60 pounds on my back in shoes, you would
have to have alot stronger ankles than me if
you can do that for 8 straight days, heck I
don't care if I don't have a pack on, my Lowa
Sheephunters go everywhere I go.

I agree 100% with you alp. I also where vasque breeze lows for most of my hunting. I will be looking for a mid high boot for the same reason as you because I hate the junk I get in my shoes, But man are they comfortable and light. I hate having to go to my boots when the snow and rain hit.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

National guard archery staff shooter

I will agree that wearing shoes is a great idea...for training the body and the ankles to be stronger. But when it comes time for the hunt give yourself the security of a good solid boot to help protect yourself. I agree that we may and do weaken the supporting structure by wearing equipment that does not make the body condition itself to give it the needed support. I do think its dumb to not protect your self with a good boot when in the middle of a hard hunt.

Alp, I do the exact same thing. I will start hunting on Saturday and we're supposed to have good weather so I am planning on wearing my Nike ACG's- Great shoe, they are lightweight trail shoes that are also gore-tex. Highly recommended. If I'm out there and it snows above my ankles, I'll just hike two miles back to my house I guess. Oh and smart wool socks all the way. Ski socks are a bit too much IMO.

For my elk hunt in November though, I will probably throw on my Rockys. Also great boots.

Need I say more?!? Lol

48f62e212f04e226.jpg

Son

Nice pic...

Now that I live in AZ, I use Salomon XA Comp 3 GTX for all my scouting and hunting. They are super light, and have GoreTex, so I've never gotten my socks wet. They offer me more agility and sneaking ability on rocks than big clunky boots. Not only that but they are probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever had.

Snakes are an issue; but an 8'' soft leather boot wont stop big fangs anyway. I use my snakeproof chaps, or gaitors most of the time.

Son, Do you really wear your boots with the pants tucked in?

Ski socks are the best socks going. I have been wearing mine in hunting boots and waders for ever. I would not even to think about hunting the terrain I do in Tennis shoes. To each his own I suppose.

why buy colorfull tops if your just going to hide them? Geez! No I only tuck them in on MM where it tends to get deep.

Son

I wear Merrells nine monthes out of the year. Theyre awesome until you get in a few inches of snow, then i break out boots.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-08 AT 05:28PM (MST)[p]Depends on the type of hunting if I am sneak hunting I wear some lowa here is Oregon you almost always need gortex. If I am elk hunting I wear my Kenetreks because I am not as worried about noise and generaly I am wearing a heavier pack. Plus we elk hunt behind closed gates and do a lot of walking in big gravel and logging roads I need a stiffer bottom than light weight hiking shoes. Can you say sore feet... I agree that there is a time for shoes. Check out REI summer gaitors for warm weather and that will help keep the stuff out your shoes.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

I never wear shoe's, always boots. I have different boots for the time of year. Summer I wear lowa uninsulated boot. And ski socks year round much better than hunting socks.

Was on an Elk hunt in CO one year and met another hunter at the laundromat. He was wearing football cleats! Said he liked them for the steep terrain. Good traction is certainly a plus but I can think of a whole lot of negatives. The guy was a little strange all the way around.

Bow

For most hunting, not including some scenarios here such as steep rocky with a load, I find that the $15 pair from Big5 is more comfortable and where just as well ad $150 pair of Danners. Now I actually enjoy still hunting in only socks! It slows you way down and greatly reduces noise. I have hiked most of a day with my boots tied to my pack.

sonofthesouth

I do the same thing. I did a 10 day 70 mile back packing trip in my New Balance 411s and did not twist my ankle. When it gets cold I put my boots on. But I like the light weight of my running shoes for hikeing. And I have no need to worry about blisters. So I like to do that in the bow season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom