Boots

R

rabidrattlesnake

I think this has been asked before, but what boot do you guys recomend. I have had Rockys in the past and they are good boots, but I want something better if possible. I don't care about price, but I DO not wnat an insulated boot. Sept. elk is too hot for any insulation.

Here are the three that have made my shortlist for the up-coming bow hunt:

1) Cabelas Gore-tex Scent-Lok silent stalk sneaker. Price is $99 and weight is 2.5lbs/pair
2) Irish Setter Shadow Trek boots 100% waterproof gore-tex. Price is $109 and weight is 2.6lbs/pair
3) Danner pronghorn...unisulated...currently have a pair of 400 thinsulate and they are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn...just too hot for bowhunting. Price $149 weight is 2.8 lbs/pair.

Not sure a guy could go wrong with any of these. All are waterproof and light. Just depends which one feels the best. Danner is a little more money.

Good luck.

For a quality uninsulated boot for early season hunting, the Meindl's and Vasque boots are very good. I have a pair of each and both have their place depending on where and what I'm hunting.

I've been using a boot from Danner lately that has worked VERY well for me. In fact, I'm using them on an upcoming backpacking trip into the Colorado wilderness. They are the Danner Instigator. Light weight, waterproof (Gore-tex), and rigged enough for packing heavy loads. They fit my feet very well. Here's a photo:

Danner_Instigator.jpg

Here's the direct link giving the details as well. Hope it helps and good luck on your hunts.

www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=15&prodid=2235

BOHNTR )))---------->

I think I am going to go with a Meindl. Don't know which one. I love the idea of the light weight "sneak" type boot, but I hunt some rock piles and I don't think they will cut it. Thanks for the input.

Before you buy, take a look at sierratradingpost.com, they have many closeout boots from the top hiking/treking/backpacking manufacturers, such as raichle, lowa, asolo. I have a small foot (my girlfriend says its not true what they say, I guess I have her fooled), and they have a ton of boots for my size. But they also have all other sizes as well. I just ordered 3 pair, put on credit card, and will return the least favorite of those. I got one each of the above listed brands, but they have many more including danner, etc. Its a very good source for boots. They also have closeout eberlestock backpack, i just bought one of those also.

For a september bow hunt I'd look at the merril hikers. They are very light weight and breathable. I want a lightweight cool boot if I'm putting in a lot of miles in the warm weather. I have several pairs including Danner and Vasque hiking boots and for early season I use the Merril. One other thing I would mention. If you are doing a lot of hiking I would check out a "granola" store to see what they have. I know that REI has some very good boots that are made for hiking by the hard core hikers.

I am defiantly going with a uninsulated boot. I hate hot feet! I am going to cabelas next week and plan to try on several pairs. Any suggestions on socks. Again I want a lightweight sock for september.

This may be lame, but if it is not going to be too cold and wet, I use a $30 pair of Nevado hikers. They are light weight and comfortable. I love them for bowhunting. They usually only last 3 or 4 seasons, but at $30, I'm willing to buy a new pair every few years. Bottom line is I hate heavy boots! Go as light weight as possible.

I have worn a pair of the north face hikers the last 2
archery elk hunts(sept.)and they are wonderful.
I wear a pair of cabelas coolmax socks. I also have
fox river socks, very good also.

Allen

ROCK-ON

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom