Born before 1970

bigbull1

Very Active Member
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1920's 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The big font type is because your eyes are shot at your age.

I was born in the 70's and I did all that, except the part about eating worms and mud, thats only for dum peeple.

I grew up in the 80's and early 90's and can relate to all of that as well. Those were definitly the days. And very TRUE!!!

When I look back at all the crazy stuff I did as a kid it is a wonder I am alive today! Now that I am a dad, I find myself cringing everytime my kid does something even remotely close to what I used to do.

Rut

and I never went blind....... and my face never got stuck like that also...
rm

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-06 AT 12:58PM (MST)[p]Rack you may have not gone blind yet but those are some mean thick glasses that you have., ( Coke bottle bottoms ):RIMROCK

I think that is dumb is spelled D U M B, not dum. (I think) Maybe I am the "dumby" or "dummy" or however you spell that.

life IS good

Oh, wait, now I see how you spelled people, its a joke! Sorry. Got me.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-06 AT 04:54PM (MST)[p]And our kids don't do what we did, luckily, but what they have now the potential to do makes what we did look clean! I remember raiding the neighbors garden at night, hooking cans on to the cars with fishing line as they drove by, hookybobben, marbles, hot wheels, real boxing as a school sport, smear the queer - (not sack the runner) stealing a cig now and then, grabbing a few glass Pepsi/coke/crush bottles from the neighbors stash and taking them in for the nickel that they once were worth (now, a good clean coke bottle sells for 30 bucks), poking you finger into the push top tin crush cans and pulling back a bloody finger, flinging the ring from a pull top, riding steel bikes with fat tires and huge handle bars (shwins) cause that's all there was, making a chopper bike and a scooter because there was no such thing and no stores even knew what they were, warming my food on the stove and typing a paper with a typewriter, calculators had real red numbers in the LCD, almost phony by today?s standards, and all they would do is add, subtract, and multiply, the list goes on.

I don't remember stealing cars, and getting high sniffing glue or drinking at age 12 or having oral sex at 13, or smoking crack at 11 and on and on. I am amazed as well that I made it, especially because in them days, an M-80 was an M-80 and having your school teacher over never meant you were going to get a piece of you know what! LOL

But these kids now days are subject to chit that will really mess with their brains!

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

TFinalshot, Your last post made me feel my age. But dammit, it made me feel proud also. I remember all the things you described. I am trying to raise my kids in the same fashion I was. In this day and age, old time values are mostly forgotten. I am 40 years old. My grandparents didn't even have an indoor bath until I was 10. The house was comfy, just no plumbing. How many kids would put up with that today? The world is alot different, but some people remember when it wasn't. mtmuley

Don't forget the neighborhood B-B gun wars, I was the lucky one because I didn't have the red rider, I had a Benjamin .22 cal air gun but I promised to only pump it 3 times. If this happened now, people would go to prison

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-06 AT 00:38AM (MST)[p]Oh heck, the dreaded pump! 3 was our limit too! That's funny. But what's even more funny is that I'm sure NO ONE only pumped three times!

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

When guys bringing rifles to high school meant that it was hunting season, and that by school policy their unloaded guns were taken to the principal's office for the day, and picked up at the end of the school day.

And guys in camo putting on grease paint in the school bathroom after last period meant it was archery season!

No chit, I remember taking my rifle to shot class to work it over! No even an issues, now a days they have the FBI on your but so fast your dead grandpa's head would spin!

Born in 63

I grew up in Scottsdale AZ and we did not have AC until I was in 8th grade, just a swamp cooler. I don't ever remember being terribly hot either.

We never had a car with AC until I was in HS.

Didn't get color TV until I was a freshman in HS.

Mom did not start working until I was in HS.

When we got home from school we were told to put play clothes on and go outside and play until dinner time.

I never wanted to stay in the house because it was boring.

Captain Kangaroo and Wallace and Ladmo were the only good kids shows in the morning.

If I wanted to go over to friends house I walked or rode my bike. I can't ever remember my folks dropping me off.

Bithday parties were cake and Ice Cream along with playing some games, usually outside. We gave a simple gift and did not get a bag of goodies to go home with. It wasn't our birthday.

Little League games had a snack bar and each player got a free sno-cone after the game. Parents never brought store bought snacks.

Coaches would yell at you when you messed up and your parents were okay with that.

Swats if you got in trouble at school. More swats when you got home.

I never had any money of my own unless I cut lawns in the summer time.

Saved most of what little money I had.

NEVER dreamed of using innapropriate language around an adult.

Yes please, Thank You, Your welcome, Yes Maam, No Maam, Yes Sir, No Sir, open doors for your mother and other ladies, and we addressed adults as MR. or Mrs.

In elementary school we were in bed by 8:30 on school nights and tried to stay up until 10:30 on friday and saturday nights.

The family sat down together for dinner each night.

Going out for dinner was a rare treat. Mom's cooking was still better.

Parents are still married.

The list goes on and on ......

Yes it does go on and on. Fortunately most of what you describe, with the exeption of technology, still is doable!

You said, ?Captain Kangaroo and Wallace and Ladmo were the only good kids shows in the morning.? Dude, you forgot Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, and the little Rascals, how could you forget the Rascals. I still rent them from time to time!

good post, I too had to change out of my school clothes. Today it seems that most kids, dont even know there's a difference, because they dont do anything that would actually get their close dirty. I think parents today are just getting to lackz.

great posting boyzzzzzzzzzz.

How about Mighty Mouse, Crusader Rabbit, Howdy Doodie w/ Clairabell the Clown.
Westerns like Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Lash LaRue, Whip Wilson, Durango Kid, Gene Autry, Roy Rodgers, Tom Mix and the list go's on.
Serial programs like Flash Gordon w/ The Emperor Ming after the beautiful Dale Ardun.

Comedy's like Red Skelton, Amos & Andy, and the Rascals, Bowery Boys, Keystone Cops just to name a few.

The good old days are long gone for good clean fun on TV and Movies.

Brian

Great post and I was born in '51, so most of what is stated is very true. We did grow up in a town like Mayberry, on the same street as the Cleavers. Actually I grew up in Southern CA and even there life had meaning and moral character...
I grew up to be the man I am because of, not inspite of my upbringing...

Stop Global Whining

There's a lot of old coots hanging around here. I was born in 1948. We lived out in the country of Northern CA. Tree forts and BB guns. There was a creek about 1/4 mile over the hill that had sea run cutthroat and native rainbow. In Junior High I ran a trap line along that creek. I would check my traps before school. We raised rabbits and pigeons for food. I only remember watching TV on Sunday nights.

Then I noticed girls and The Beatles. It's been down hill ever since!LOL!

Steve

In the 60's my favorite TV programs were "The Green Hornet" and the original "Batman" series. Used to watch them every day after school.

Eveil Knievel was my hero in the early 70's.
I painted my bicycle red,white and blue and it had a banana seat with a sissy bar and a big slick on the rear. A kid could really lay down some skid marks with that. We used to extend our front forks to make our bikes look like choppers.
Man those were the days.:D

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

3 pumps on the .22 air gun not a chance!! If I shot you it hurt and bled!! Taking your gun to school was cool. And building bombs and cannons after school. If you could get us to school. Haul 1000 bales of hay before fishing on Saturday. If ya wanted milk and cheese ya had to milk the cow even if ya didn't want milk. Milk the cow or get slapped. Pull weeds and trap skunks in the garden. And take the skunk to school for show and tell to show everyone what a great trapper you were. Going hunting and not seeing a soul. No such thing as a No Trespassing sign. Drag races sat night. After a high speed chase the cops let ya go cause they only wanted your beer and to see what motor you had in your car!! Muscle cars were just that!! OH pack a 12" blade to school was cool!! Rumbles hurt but no one got shot. The principle would actually knock knots on your head faster then you could rub them. Oh and you didn't need a parent or gardeian to go hunting at 12. At 12 I had a collection of guns, boats, motorcycles, cars, trucks, and skunk pelts. My personal favorite was hunting rats with my bb gun! When you ran out of BB's you would just dig the bb's out of the dead rats.

Rut

Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

Rut,

You and I would have been best friends! Here's a picture taken in 1962 with our "catch". I'm the little guy on the right. I don't remember them stinking too bad but I'm sure they did!LOL

Steve

44caa36d02f91680.jpg

Hey Eelgrass!

You can always tell them real old pictures by the way they have that fancy trim around the edge.:D

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Wearing red on the deer and elk hunt with your license pinned to the front of your hat.

18 day rifle deer hunts.

Tote Goats.

The only 4WD was a Wiles jeep and the man who owned one was very popular.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-06 AT 07:48AM (MST)[p]marine boy and star blazers. . . Felix the cat, and walter cronkite (sp). . .

Love the BB gun wars - NEVER did stick to the 3 pump rule! cruzen was cruzen and legal, loved to go to the drags out on military road where the cops left everyone alone to race chevels, novas, mustangs, ramblers, and chargers!

leaving the house at sun rise and being home by dark was the rule, not the exeption! Stay outside my mom would once in a while say. My mom would right me a note to mis school on a count of me going fishing or hunting - and she's ever drive me to the river and drop me off before I could drive.

I'm going to make sure my kids get out of school to do things that I believe are important, like hunting and fishing.

Oh yea , watched The Rat Patrol ,& F-troop while eating my chicken pot pie ! w/ frtio banditio corn chips.yumm...yumm

I agree 100% with this post, but why is it that those kids who were born before 1970 didn't raise their kids the way they were raised? Or did it just take them 30+ years to realize they should've raised their children better?

"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

My kids ARE getting raised that way, my daughter is only 4, but we cant change society - like the school system, and all the parents who let their kids run wild!

Parents and teachers are afraid to punish the kids, because the threat of Child Abuse and jails waiting to have them for guests.
Kids now days are taught in school when to yell foul and get the "police" involved.
Hell, when I was in grammer school I was always in the Principals office for something which was the "old ping pong paddle" with small holes drilled through it, no wind resistance that way. Boy that sure hurt along with the teachers ruler across the knuckles for whatever reason.
NO WAY would that happen in todays society and school.
Brian

my kid were raised if they stepped out of line they got an ass woopen.
that i didn't have a problem taking thenm down into mexico and selling them/
or just dropping them off in the getto say in detroit.

When a 3x2 was a trophy!

There was none of this,,,, well the g2 was a little weak!

The comradery meant more then the kill!

OH YA back to the sixties --- I'd bust my butt all summer and buy something cool like a H.O.race car set and then have RUTNBUCK
trade it out of me for a fish tank with no glass or a stinky skunk pelt..RUT says building bombs..Post a pic of your thumb! ya it was fun..
Then came the seventies,with HEE HAW..and Barbie Benton,Life was good!:RIMROCK

Yeah sure, some of you here are still raising your kids that way, but how come the rest of society isn't? It had to start somewhere and according to this post, those born before 1970 were the last generation to FULLY participate in growing up the same way together. But those after 1970 weren't the same... IMHO yes, society has gotten worse today though I know when I was (still am) growing up, I got my butt whooped more times than I care to say... Society has just progressively gotten worse and it's nobodies fault except our own.

Michael
(just playing the devil's advocate here guys)
"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

Remember when gas was a .25 a gallon.

Rut

It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-06 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]Speaking of gas I remeber when you could pass gas and not have to worry too much about getting a surprise along with it:RIMROCK

Stretch Armstrong was a cool toy back in the day until you broke it and all that crap came out.LOL

If you thought Johnny Quest was a high tech cartoon when you were a kid then you can relate as well.

Brings back memories.
Best,
Jerry

I don't remember .25 a gallon but I do remember .33 9/10 a gallon. For $1 I could get almost 3 gallons. Enough to drive my '61 VW for a week!
Steve

There. Is that better, Rut? LMAO!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-06 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p] Atta Boy Steve Hey I need a slab of wood if anyone is coming to utah send me a slab 4" x 16" x 7' there abouts Fire Place Mantle. Hell send me a whole truck load. We could get rich. You have all the fun stuff.
Rut

Quack Away!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom