Boulder, Monroe or Pahvant in 2012?

dillon

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]I have 10 bonus points now and I want to burn my point in 2012 on a Limited Entry archery elk tag. Most likely I am going to be moving out of state by 2013 for work. My plan is to apply and if I can't do the hunt because of new employment turn it back in and lose the money and get my points back. I am seriously considering three units. Boulder, Monroe and Pahvant. I realize that with 10 points Monroe and Pahvant may be more difficult to draw, but I am willing to put my points on the table and try.

I have hunted cows on the Boulder before. I know the area some, but not extensively. I have never even hunted on the Monroe or Pahvant. I usually hunt deer on Zion and Panguitch Lake.

I am willing to put in some very serious time scouting and hunting next year to get a nice bull. I just want a 6x6 bull that scores about 340 or so. I don't have to take a 400 inch bull to be happy. I would probably be thrilled with any 6 point bull in the 300's.

What unit do you think I should put in for? Feel free to explain your reasoning. If you have hunted the unit before please PM me.

Thanks,

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

Unless you know Boulder VERY well, I wouldn't put in there. Very thick and water everywhere makes for a tough archery hunt especially if they aren't making noise. Monroe and Pahvant may be out of your range becuz of your points but well worth the wait. Monroe is an awesome archery hunt! I've never hunted the Pahvant but it's always a premier unit. I've been a part of 2 Monroe archery hunts, 2 muzzy hunts, and 1 any weapon. They were all awesome and we killed bulls on all the hunts. I would be more than happy to show you around and give you everything I've learned over the years up there.

Traditional >>>------->

Ummmm... what's wrong with Panguitch Lake? You do know the unit!!!!Did you happen the see the monster that the Bess kid shot this year?????

Thanks for the comments guys. I have thought about Panguitch Lake. However, I have enough points to get the late hunt on there. My dad drew the Panguitch Lake this year with 3 points for LE elk. I have 10 points and I want to bow hunt somewhere with a lot of good bulls. I have seen some monsters on the Panguitch Lake. I just want to do archery, and with 10 points I think I can do better than the Panguitch Lake unit as far as getting a tag goes.

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

U should hunt the unit that u know. Or take a chance, draw whatever tag first then go learn new country. Monroe would be the easier unit to find elk on out of the 3 units mentioned. just my opinion Good Luck to u.

Archery, unfamiliar unit, going to school, not alot of time....... what kind of crackers do you like with your soup? LOL, good luck hope we all can admire your success a year from now!

I will be done with school and either be employed or looking for employment. Money should not be a big problem. I am going to graduate with a good chunk of change in the bank still. Most agencies that I want to work for accept applications in September, and interview in October. So I am either going to be starting a new job (and be in Police Academy) or be applying to different states agencies and hunting. That is why I am willing to put all my points on the table and attempt to draw. Most likely I will be going out of state and won't be coming back for a long time. So I don't have a lot to lose by drawing a tag.

I agree that not knowing a unit is always hard and I may eat tag soup. I like club crackers with my soup.

You've been a seasonal for State Parks, why not go full time as a biologist? You might get to chase (monitor) the big ones on AI.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom