Boulder/plateau antelope scout trips

Verticalslope

I have seen some nice speed goat bucks in the Northwest part of the plateau this year on a couple scouting trips. The antelope numbers are incredible. They are like over populated rabbits in some parts. I have to talked to alot of people who drawn tags for the unit in the past and said that opening morning is like a "road hunting/ shoot fest". The DWR gave out triple the rifle permits this year and I am just a LITTLE worried about hunter pressure. Anyone else draw a permit for the plateau this year

I had the late rifle hunt last year. We only saw a couple other hunters. The unit is big enough and few enough tags to spread people out pretty good. I wouldn't worry to much about it. CB

I hope so ASUCoues. They gave out 120 rifle permits for each of the two rifle seasons. I did see alot of bucks in the area of the unit I have been scouting. It's my wife's permit and were looking for a 15" goat with good mass.

Are you seeing many elk out on the North end of the plateau. Say around Petersen Grove area???? Does anyone know if the rock crusher is off the side of the road in that area still this year. Thanks, cb

15 inches with good mass might be a stretch. My buddy's last year was 14 inches with short prongs (one was broken off). Mine was 13 inches with really good prongs. All I saw were those shovels sticking out and didn't think twice. The wildlife manager told me the best scoring bucks in the area are the ones with very high prongs. I saw one like that and passed on him because his prongs were so short. He probably would have scored better than the one I harvested (probably an inch longer and better mass) but such is life. Good luck. CB

I like your unit for numbers of bucks but it will be tough to find a 15" with "good mass". Not to say they don't exist, just that you will need to scout prior to your hunt and have a fix on that type of buck and then get in his area on opening day and dog him until you get an opportunity. That country is really pretty and camping up there is half the fun so don't put too much stress on yourselves about the buck you shoot. Have a great hunt with your wife and enjoy the time in the woods.

AZBuckSnort, I have video taped a couple of bucks that are right around 15". One of the bucks has a pretty good spread on him. His horns grow off his head at a 45 degree angle or better. He looks to have good mass with some decent prongs. I just hope he's still around opening day.

I guess time will tell at this point. I did see a couple others that are in the 14" category that will do. Thanks for all your replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom