Boulder

goldhunter

So I'm pretty happy with my draw of the NR muzzy elk tag. Been doing a little research. Seems like a ton of good country for 12 hunters, but then realized there will also be deer hunters on the mountain at the same time. How much of a problem will the deer guys be for the elk hunting?

I was on Boulder the last 4 days,
Saw some realy good bulls.

This group of 5 had two that looked quite impressive all ready!

30721004718a.jpg

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

They look great. Thanks for the photo. Looks pretty green as well. That portion of Utah is still in the drought according to the US drought monitor but I see the seasonal predictions are for a probability of wetter than normal summer.

Grow baby grow.

ya, I've been on google earth more in the last 10 days than in the previous 10 years. I probably won't make any summer trips. I'm thinking it won't hurt me too much as I understand the bulls move around quite a bit as the rut and hunting pressure develop.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-15 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]Mostly want to go get a better lay of the land as I've only been down there once and going guided just doesn't sound fun to me. Get's me out of the honey-do-list to cause the wife gets to come along too.

Utyotekiller, how many points did you draw with and are you hunting muzzy or rifle? I have a friend that did not draw early rifle with max points is why I'm asking.

Goldhunter, It's been wet there!

Took this pic of camp last Wendsday. Then got ANOTHER 1 1/2 inches of rain yeasterday!

@ 8,400 elivation.

1968dsc00317a.jpg

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

What side of the unit were you on goofyelk if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking of going down next weekend. Wondering how the roads were if I pulled my camper down?

>What side of the unit were
>you on goofyelk if you
>don't mind me asking. I'm
>thinking of going down next
>weekend. Wondering how the roads
>were if I pulled my
>camper down?

We were camped on the Oak cr road above Hwy 12.
Went clear around Escalante mountian, Griffin top yesterday,
Roads are good everywere....

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

That moisture looks great. Fingers crossed, this is shaping up to be the greatest hunt of my life and I've had a couple great archery hunts one AZ 27 and the other CO 61.

Jray,
the reason your friend didn't draw with max points is probably because there were more people applying with max points for that same hunt than there were tags available and your friend was the odd man out.
The Boulders are becoming the go to unit.

There's always next year

I see on another post they are giving 855 cow tags. How many elk are supposed to be on the unit? My home state of SD doesn't even give that many total tags for the Black Hills.

Congrats on the non-resident tag goldhunter. I know of at least five people with more than 12 points that put in for that muzzy tag this year, myself included. Kill a big one.

Dillon

Thanks Dillon, I will need some luck but certainly going to have fun trying. Makes me nervous, going to try not to get the flu, get bucked off a horse, atv accident etc. I have had some really great archery tags in the past but nothing like this.

Congrats on the EXPO tag. I don't know the unit that well to offer any advice but my neighbor was down there fishing with his family over memorial day weekend. They limited out very quickly so he went for a hike and brought home 10 elk sheds from a 2 hour hike. Several were whites but he did find two fresh sets. One in the 350 range and one awesome set with 57" mains that is off a 370 class bull. Both these made it past last years hunt so there will be good bulls on the unit. Best of luck.

We've been down looking at Boulder/Plateau antelope the last 3 days.

92211004772a.jpg

The archery hunt cant get here soon enough!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Thanks PINES, made a last minute trip down this weekend. Had a great time saw a ton of animals. Wasn't ready to come back. Goofy from what I've seen there is no shortage of speed goats.

Things still looking good down there guys? Had a couple of questions.

Is there diesel fuel available in any of the small towns around the mountain?

And the east, northeast side looks pretty steep and thick. Does that area get much pressure?

Thanks

All of the towns have Diesel fuel, its a big agricultural area so there's lots of heavy equipment and trucks in the area. No problem there.

Last year I was on Boulder for the Muzzy deer hunt. We like the east side along highway 12 because of accessible campgrounds. We talked to some people who were also deer hunting. We heard some small bulls bugling in the evenings. Only one camp I know of that was after elk and they were camped back in, up on top, and didn't get an elk in the 4 days we were on that side.

Day 4 we went around to the west side of Boulder Mtn. Fewer deer, but enough for our needs. The biggest difference was we heard more bull elk bugling, and some of them were obviously very mature. One morning my dad and I were heading over to a spot we hoped would have some deer out and about. Apparently, we spooked a large herd of elk that a Muzzy Elk Hunter was watching from a short distance. He said the herd bull was one of the biggest he'd ever seen there. :) We felt bad we had spooked it, but we never even knew they were there.

We didn't see another soul on that side of the mountain for 3 more days. Kept hearing bulls all morning and night.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I'll be up on top, camping out of Posey for two weeks in mid August. I'll keep my eyes open for big bulls but if I see a spike or a big cow with my OTC archery tag I'm taking it! I'll let you know if I come across any bulls on the south-west side of the unit.

Thank you both. I am honestly not asking for anybody's sweet spot but I appreciate anything offered. I was just generally wondering where some of the hunting pressure would be the heaviest and maybe some areas that don't get much pressure. The muzzy hunt has no pressure but the rifle right before seems like those guys could move elk around a bit and maybe skim the top end bulls off.

I have also read that the elk head for the deep dark timber and canyons after the pressure builds, so I thought maybe there are some general areas worth checking out.

Thanks again

goldhunter,
I always get gas at the gas station in Loa right at the bend where Hwy 24 cuts from heading South to heading East at almost 90 degrees. Gas is always the cheapest there and they have both regular and diesel fuel, but as BrowningRage pointed out, there are plenty of options for fuel in all the towns in the area: Loa, Lyman, Bicknell, and Torrey.

Keep us updated on your scouting/hunt and share a report of your hunt when you are finished.

Looks like its going to be plenty hot the next two weeks. Maybe that's normal, but I'm glad the muzzy hunt starts later.

Hope you archery guys are finding some big ones, good luck.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom