Bow / Arrow Tips - Before Going Into The Field(?)

EROCK1313

It's obviously late and my insomnia for the night is getting the best of me - Instead of getting sleep, I am assembling some "Back-Up" Arrows and upon inspection of my "Quiver - Kill" Arrows, I discover while utilizing a Spin Test; some wobble in one of my Broadheads. This led me to this post of things to remember before going afield....

ITEMS TO CHECK / MARK:

[font color=red]- Check Point / Broadhead Wobble:[/font] Slight Wobble after Inserts are Cemented in can be corrected a couple of different ways...1) Change Broadhead / Point, 2) Remove Insert (If possible) and re-insert while spin testing for accuracy, 3)While spin testing on a "Spinner," draw a Vertical / Horizontal line on a free standing 90 degree object (small box works good) and spin the Broadhead with point centered at Cross Hair. Spin slow and look for the "High Point" of the wobble. Stop when at this point. Take Arrow off Spin Tester and apply slight pressure to point on the "High Side" against a hard surface, to slightly bend back towards the low point. (Extreme wobbles may need point replace and/or new inserts) - Re-Spin to verify corrections.

[font color=red]- Check Broadhead Sharpness:[/font] For Obvious reasons, a SHARP Broadhead is essential. Take a Sharpener or Extra Blades if replaceable for a Clean Kill / Easy Entry Wound.

[font color=red]- Wax String:[/font] Seems simple enough, but it is an often overlooked item after practice shooting 100's of arrows on warm days in the dusty environments most often used (dry out). Use a small piece of Leather Strap or your Fingers to work wax "INTO" String and cables (slight heat created from each) as they are wrapped around the string and slid along repeatedly.

[font color=red]- Mark Important Settings With Visual References:[/font] Use a Colored Sharpie (Silver works good) or "White Out" or the likes, to mark important reference points for your Cams (In case string needs to be changed / adjusted in the field), Bolt / Screw positions, Rest adjustments, Sight Adjustments (Pins, Axis, Elevations etc), String Loops / Nocks, Peeps, Kissers, Speed Buttons / Nocks, Silencers / Dampeners.

[font color=red]- Keep Small Paper etc. of Actual Measurements from above:[/font] Small Piece of Masking Tape on limbs or inside license holder or Spare Broadhead Box etc are good places.

[font color=red]- Spares / Essentials:[/font] Broadheads (obvious), String, Field Points / Small Game Head or blunt, Fletching, Wraps (often looked over, but essential to keep consistency if on your arrows and gets damaged), Nocks, Inserts, Washers (if used), String Loops, Silencers, Felt, Wax, Kisser Button, Peep, Serving (or Waxed Dental Floss), Fiber Optic / Pin, Sight Light Batteries (if used), Appropriate Allen Wrench(s) / small tool(s), Broadhead Sharpener, Super Glue

[font color=red]- Check for Loose Items:[/font] Blue (**NOT** Red) Loctite can be used for items that easily come loose that do not need frequent adjusting (i.e. - Sight Lights, Pin /Sight Adjustment Screws, etc.). Basically anything that has a tendency to Vibrate loose from shooting your bow or from Hiking.

I am sure that I am forgetting some items, So please....ADD ADDITIONAL ITEMS / TIPS as you see fit. This list is just for the Bow Set-up, since it is the means of which we harvest an Animal with a little Luck, Patience, and Skill and is by no means "All Inclusive."

:)

?-ERock-> ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom