bow hunting

J

Jake_Sorensen

I am interested in getting into bow hunting so I want to buy a new bow, that isn't expensive incase I don't like it, and if I do like it I will go and buy a better one, that generaly has the same technology as the really good ones, does anyone have any Idea were to look or get started and what kind of things should I buy for it, cause I have watched the hunting channel and seen all these different things that the bow hunters use that I have never seen before, like some kind of little thing that they pull the string back with that releases the string I don't know, I just need some advice on what is a good cheap bow and what all I will need.

thanks,

Jake

My brother bought a PSE Nova and it shoots like a charm. It cost him around $250 to completely set up. For a real nice bow for the price, you can't go wrong with PSE.

look in the local classified ads, local sporting good stores they usually have trade-ins. i would suggest that before you get into archery hunting class that teaches shot placement, tracking and archery ethics. they are good classes for beginner archers. then enjoy it, its a blast.

Jake

I just got into bow hunting last year and I ordered a reflex gamegetter package out of cabelas. This is a bow package that comes with eveything you need (i.e. sights, quiver, sling, arrow rest). This bow comes with the new cam & 1/2 by hoyt which is the same cam that comes on their $750 bows. And at only $250 you can't go wrong. The only thing I'd do is buy a good quality sight. The one it comes with will work, but it has an all plastic housing with metal pins, which is a poor combination. All in all this is a great accurate bow for the price.

Cabinfever

The best thing you can do is go to a local pro shop, hopefully a couple of pro shops if you're lucky to have more than one close to you. You should be able to shoot a few bows before making any purchase, get one you like and fits you. I kinda bought my first bow on a whim and didn't get the best possible equipment or advice but I did fall in love with archery. I learned alot from that bow and what I really wanted in equipment and it made buying my new bow this year so much better, I could relly appreciate it. I would suggest also buying a couple archery magazines and reading the tech articles in them or buying anything that is archery related just to get familiar with terminology and learn all you can before you make a purchase. There are some really great sites on the web for archery, I find www.archerytalk.com to be one of the best that is dedicated just to archery. I learned alot over there. Good luck with archery, its addictive once you get into it.

I was in the same boat not too long ago. By all means go to a pro shop and test a few out. They will get you all set up. I would also second the PSE Nova package. You do not need every gadget out there but do spend some money on a good sight, release and rest.

I've had several people suggest the PSE Nova Package so I went to sportsmans warehouse and was looking at one they had on sale for 160.00 and the guy told me it was to small for me and then tried to get me to buy something that was about $200 more.

Jake

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom