Bow Ibex......HELP!!!!

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Well, I've done it this time! I drew that bow ibex tag and now I'm questioning my sanity. It's always been in doubt but now it may be official! Any one have any info? Anything at all. I've never even seen one. Saw the Floridas once from the interstate and that's as close as I've been! HELP!!!!!!......

I bow hunted for ibex last January and had the time of my life. I never got more than a couple of hundred yards away from an ibex, but didn't really expect to get much closer than that. I put in for the hunt mostly because I had always wanted to hunt ibex and thought even if I didn't get one, at least I was on the mountain with them. The mountain is as brutal as everybody says, if not more. Ibex are as smart and weary as everbody says, if not more. But that's what is so great about the hunt. Enjoy. It's a great adventure.

Cookie2 = NUTTBAG!

Just dial your bow in , and get close to the smelly lil goats and letter fly!

On 99.9% of all NM tags, the hard part is drawing them , well my friend , you have the .01% tag thats the one thats easier to draw and then the HARD part!

Aw....Nutt, I was pullin' for you too!! Don't worry about the bow. By the time to go, there won't be a jackrabbit in the county! I better get started with those lower pins!

There is a man I talked to once that has some blinds that he has made up in the ledges. He has helped multiple people get solid shots at animals and I guess has had a couple of sucessful hunters in the last couple of years. Give me a day or two and I will track down a name and number for you.

I drew the bow hunt as well. I have spent some time around the floridas but never on top of them. When I was in school in Las Cruces we drove around the floridas glassing Ibex. Just wanted to see what they looked like. They are super cool. I would like to think that I am up for the challenge but I guess only time will tell. Everyone I talk to seems to say the same thing, tough to get a shot but sure is fun trying. I cant wait.

Hey monster, ain't you supposed to be working???? I'm in the same boat as you wesmd. I figure that I'll go up there and do my best to kill myself and have a memorable hunt and possibly learn something about them. If the shot happens good and if not that's ok too!

Cookie2, in all seriousness, I'd love to be on the rock pile. If i would have drawn I had planned on scouting it as much as possible, find or try to find areas the goats would use and then set a blind and hope they would come my way. Iknow they wind really swirls alot there and the goats get accustemed to retreiving to much of ther same areas. Billies are very much territorial , and do travel alot but they do like thier areas they feel safe in . It's gonna be a challenge , but not impossible. Get the dvd from NMtaxi ,,,,and hammer all those jacks!

Has there ever been a bow kill on an Ibex in NM?

I guess that is why everyone is saying if it happens it will make the guy famous and songs will be written about them. Ha.

Cookie enjoy this tag - I was one of the fools that put in and was unsuccessful for this hunt as well.

Good Luck man.

Have a video cammera so when they are running up and down those shear cliffs at least you can get them on video.

I already did and now I'm screwed up beyond belief! I put that live shot on my desktop to remind me that the new WORLD RECORD is gonna have MY NAME listed beside it! Anybody know what it's gonna take to make it? I have a cousin who refuses to use a bow and says I won't get anything so now I've got some real inspiration to go get him!

Yeah theres been a few killed by bow hunters. The record will be beat now that they have added more tags , it's just a matter of time before a serious hunter hits that rock pile and anchors a big billie. I'd personally take any goat I could get into bow range of though...

Amen to that, I believe old Chuck Adams would have his work cut out for him.

Maybe not Fred Bear but Chuck for sure....joke, joke, joke don't want to affend anyone.

Chuck Adams has already arrowed one. He shot one back in the 90s'at a water tank(metal)...

Cookie, I sent it your way again. Yesterday I used the e-mail address attached to your user name. I guess it's wrong. :). Hope you didn't lose too much sleep.

I didn't sleep a wink! Nutt, did you say metal???..My cousin has a theory that barbary sheep are always in view of metal of some sort. He thinks they worship it or something....coincidence? Maybe but I'm not taking any chances!!!

cookie I wasa crazy enough to draw the same tag. any one out there want to share some of that good stuff with me too. I can not wait. I have lots of hunting this year. I think my wife is hoping it will wear me out so I never go again. what she doesn't know is that I will probably loose my mind and never want to work again. HAA HAA

I'm stayin'n that rock till one jumps in front of my arrow! My wife KNOWS better! I will become obsessed with it until I pull it off.

Curtis,

Big Time congrat's on the tag.
People have actually killed them with a bow,
so stay alert.

Sound like a Hell of an adventure.
Have fun, and be carefull on that thing.

Larry

Look on the SCI website. I think the top ten are listed there. I have some video on my website...www.wallagogoutfitters.com. The Archery record is 94 6/8 very breakable if you look at the rifle and muzzeloader records.

I sent out DVD's today (finally) to all the people that requested one. Sorry it took so long guys.

I got mine yesterday just before heading off to work and had to sit all night wanting to watch it. I went to bed at 4:45 this morning but it's the first thing I did this afternoon. Awesome stuff! Yours was the best in my opinion as it had what I wanted to see on it. Loved the ending too! Thanks a lot taxi.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom