Bow Recommendations for Female Hunter

B

BayouBengal

My girlfriend is looking to start bowhunting this fall (Kansas whitetail primarily) and I was hoping you all could provide advice on good bows for her. The Mathews Passion is her choice, but dropping nearly $800 for the bow alone seems a little ridiculous right now. Anyone have any other suggestions? Her draw weight is limited to around 50 lbs, and she is about 5'4" 120 lbs. Thanks!

My wife is similar in size and pulls 50 lbs.

She shoots the Bear Ultralight. Great bow and you can pick it up for around $350.

It is basically the Truth 2.

Grizzly

Could see if you can find a used Mathews Ignition, or better yet go look at the Mission series that Mathews makes. The Missions are pretty affordable even in their ready to shoot packages.
WVBOWAK

Bought my wife a Martin Leopard a few years ago, think I got the whole thing set up and ready to shoot for about $450 brand new. Bow shoots great and she loves it.

Mathews mustang or the passion. My wife has been shooting her mustang for over 3 years and had the ignition befor that. I would let her pick it out and brand. That way she can shoot what feels good for her.

If she is just starting a Bowtech Diamond Razor Edge Package might work. I just bought one for my 15 year old daughter last month. It is adjustable from 30 to 60 lbs, and the draw length is adjustable from something like 20 to 29 inches. Completely set up with a dozen carbon arrows runs a little over $500. She basically will not out grow the bow. Down the road (3 to 5 years when she stops growing) if she stays serious about bow hunting I will get her a top of the line bow and she can keep the Bowtech as a backup bow.

Bill

Thanks for all of ther recommendations. We found a bow shop that has a Mathews Passion that was bought for another woman by her husband and she didnt like bowhunting. It is camo, set-up with TruGlo Bone Collector 4-pin sight, wisker biscuit, T5 Mathews quiver, release, 6 arrows with field points and .6 broadheads, and a plano bow case. I talked to the owner and was able to get him to agree to $800 for the whole deal. Problem is that it is 2 inches to short for her draw length (23 and needs to be 25). It will cost 180 to put a new cam on it, which he said he would install for free. What do you all think, is it worth it?

Get the Diamond Razor Edge. It is a great bow and very light. I bought one for my 13 year old son as this will be his first year hunting. It shoots very nice and is light enough for your lady to carry in the field. You can change out the components as they are on the cheep side. Good luck.

My wife is the same size. I got her a Bowtech Diamond and it's set (I think) at 40 lbs. If you're not looking to spend an arm and leg, it's a great bow.

+1 on the PSE Chaos. It is the lightest mass weight bow I've seen for smaller framed folks which is a huge advantage. My boy is shooting one at 40 lbs and will move up to the 50 lbs limbs next year. 21" to 27" draw length adjustment, machined riser and a similar form factor to the X-Force line.

Then you look at the price, it completely blows away the competition. I found one on Ebay for $319 shipped with the dropaway rest, sight and stabilizer. Don't let the price fool you, it's shootable right out of the box and deadly accurate. It's a standard two cam design and very easy to tune.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom