Bow Super Slam

Tag,
A couple million, a couple months per year, a couple decades and you can do all that too.

Super quest, cool goal, excellent hunter! Good luck to Tom in finishing.

I loved the video!

Zeke

Yep, what the other said! I also like Fred Eichler for his love of the hunt and shooting most everything he has taken with a recurve!!!

I would love to do it. The largest limiting factor is money. Several of us have already taken the species that we have access too. I think the sheep, grizzly and brownie would be the most difficult.

Kinda humbling as I need just 2 species to have my Super 10....and then to see this and realize my life has been a pinch different than Tom's ! haha

Robb

Very amazing feat for sure, but also one none of us---except maybe Zeke and Robb---can afford. I am guessing he has spent millions on tags-guides-etc. I don't even know how you get a polar bear tag these days? Anyway, I hope his Nikon sponsorship is footing some of he bill.
No question he has harvested some very nice archery animals!
Go for it Tag!

Lets see I have been bow hunting 20 years and have taken 4 different species at this rate how old will I be? I'm comeing up with something like 160 well even if I did live to hunt that long I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford it then either. But it is a awesome feat. Would be lyeing to you If I said I wasn't envious at all. I'm glad for those guys that can do It. Gives the rest of us something to dream about :)

Zeke,

You have a very unique...and accurate... way of putting things in perspective....LOL. I think Stone Sheep with a bow would be the most difficult, with Desert Sheep a close second, Grizzly would be tougher than Brown Bear...Polar Bears can be hunted in Canada but you can't bring any part of the animal into the States....wasn't Walrus originally included in the Super Slam?

Definitely a cool video and that type of commitment of time, money and energy definitly puts things into perspective in respect to the type of commitment to hunting certain people are willing to make!

Just for kicks, what's your total count for the super slam Zeke? Any aspiration?

TJ

TJ,
.....LOL.

I have aspirations all right but the packet-book tells a different story! My business has been "spanked" by this economy, so, with that said, I'm only planning one hunt at a time. Next week I'll be hunting for a full curl field mouse!

I'll need to calculate my NA 29.... or whatever it is.
I come up with 15 or 16, off the top of my head. I'm missing some really important (read: expensive) big bears.

With that said, I'd rather continue hunting the "sheep world slam" than the bears.....but that's just me. I like the mountain game.

I'm sure there are tons of people on this site who have higher numbers. I'd like to hear about you and others!

Best regards, Zeke

....by the way, I'm counting RIFLE kills in the total too since only 5 or 6 are bow kills.

Oops, I forgot to add pronghorn to my total!

Zeke

You are a great compliment to our fragile hunting community Zeke-----no matter the weapon of choice.

Thanks for always sharing your thoughts and experience!

Robb

Zeke,
My modest totals after 40+ years of bowhunting are hardly worth mention compared to Miranda. But it is not what you got, but what you do with what you have. We both have pulled off some pretty good stuff if you think about it. BTW my tally is 8 different archery animals all of which will meet p&y minimums. Only one of these were guided, [canadian moose]so I feel very fortunate. Time is running out for me unless I get crazy lucky and draw a few oil tags in the next few years. I would like to complete a deer slam. I need the two blacktail species...so when should we go to prince of wales?

later, Dik

Thanks Robb, I've been lucky on a bunch of average stuff.

Hey there Dik, my OLD friend (we're not old but we've been friends for over 45 years)! We should go hunt one of those little beauties.

I've seen your collection and you're a top tier bowman! I could learn a few things from you.... again. I know it must run in your family since your son is no slouch either. Nothing against Tom but if you had his sponsors you'd have been done already!

When I look at the money that would needs be paid for "finishing" the NA 29 I get a bit ill. I'm confessing it's not in the cards for me. I still have a ton of hunting to look forward to.

Someone told me once that I'd lose the fire but it hasn't happened yet. It still burns bright!

Good luck to all in YOUR quest,
Zeke

BTW; Robb, what are you missing for the super "10"?

I looked at one time to see what the "10" included but I was lacking one or two also. I don't remember what it was though.

If you have the time and energy maybe you could list the "10" for us all to see.

Thanks, Zeke

Kinda strange but I need one from the Bear catagory and one from the Caribou catagory...

I have looked into doing a Combo bear/'bou hunt but I would need it to be driveable as I really cannot fly with my ear--issue.

Does Amtrak go to Alaska? ha

Robb

Robb,

You can drive to Alaska in 3-1/2 days pushing it and no lolly gagging along the way. I drove up to Valdez back in '84 and took my time and still got there in 7 days.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-11 AT 03:49AM (MST)[p]Thanks Brian-----that would be one long MO-FO of a drive! ha

I would be thinking Rental SUV if I did that....

'Da Warden' has put a plan on the table to take a Cruise Ship up and then rent an SUV to get to a hunt area or outfitter camp for bear-n-'bou.....then Cruise Ship back down....

Weapons on a Cruise Ship?? ......she needs to look into that and into taking one Cruise Ship up---- but coming back on a different one two weeks later.....

I am going to look into Amtrak....haha

Robb

Robb---That's interesting because a cruise and rental vehicle to do that hunt is the first thing that came to mind when I read the driving time! Have "Da Warden" look into that and you may be posting pictures of a neat trip on MM in the next few years!!!

Pretty Cool!

I believe there are only 4 or 5 that have completed this quest. One of which is a close friend of mine Dr Richie Bland from Carrolton GA.

I have had the pleasure of accompanying him on about 3/4 of the 29.

I think the hardest one was the Interior Grizzly. Now having watched him complete this. It would be much easier the second time around having gained the knowledge of what guide's and outfitters are Bowhunting compatable.

Richie has taken every specie in the state of Utah except for California Bighorn, Bobcat & Coyote with a bow. Several of the species he has taken multiples of.

Truley a legend in the Archery World and probably the most underated and least talked about.

Troy Justensen

I've never met Dr. Bland but I have seen a few vids with him hunting on-camera. The guy can hunt! He seems like the kind of guy with whom it would be fun to share a camp. Very passionate.

I'll bet you have some great stories, Troy.

Zeke

That would be sweet if someday I did make enough money to do all that. That would be hard. But the harder part would be finding a women that would let me spend that much money and time on it. haha

I recently had the opportunity to meet Dr. Jack Frost, who has also takent he NA29 with a bow. He gave a nice presentation on it at the Montana Bowhunters Convention last month. Very nice guy and easy to talk to, down to earth. He also has hunted extensively around the world.

I've always loved his name but I've marveled at his accomplishments even more!

Never had the chance to meet him either.

Zeke

PS: I'm still awake waiting for my damn laundry to dry! I might as well be single! LOL

>>"PS: I'm still awake waiting for my damn laundry to dry! I might as well be single! LOL"<<

To funny! I do mine early in the AM...ha

Jack Frost is an unreal bow hunter for sure.

That would be quite the accomplishment to have guided on so many of the Super Slam harvest's Troy......what an experience in it's self.

Mike--it is looking more and more like it will be Amtrack North!

Robb

Robb

I think the train would be a wonderful way to travel to your hunt in Alaska.

When my brother and I hunted sheep and ibex in Mongolia we traveled through China into Mongolia and returned to China via train. We had a great time on the whole trip and the train travel added to the experience.

Zeke

Robb

Unreal experience for sure. Some of the hunts I was not the guide but rather the cameraman/camp grunt! I didnt mind, it allowed me to experience something that will never be within my reach!

I will say one thing, it is a little unnerving to be chasing around big bears with a sharp stick! I often tought that he and I were going to end up on the next episode of a 1000 Ways To Die!

Looking back on the whole experience my favorite were the 4 sheep! Especially the Stone!

Troy Justensen

Topgun, Eichler has his full super slam with a recurve. Jack Frost's are all P&Y and Tom Miranda's are all on video. Several impressive feats there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom