28 inch draw
28.5 inch arrows
whisker biscuit
5575 GT Hunters
125 grn tips
field points
right hand shooter

arrows fishtail all the time.
shot through paper at 2 different shops. They pushed the rest far to the left to get paper tune. arrow is visible canted to the left. arrows still fishtail. changed to 100gnr tips. arrows still fishtail.
arrows group good up to 30 yards ( 2 to 3 inches) then it opens up to no larger than 6 inches at 40 to 60.

broad head grouping is ok not great using 125 grn slick trick
had the same problem last year- i used a mechanical head last year though.

any thoughts

Aaron

called Gold Tip arrows and they confirmed correct arrows.

Cam lean would be my guess. Sounds like you are not getting straight horizontal nock travel.

Is there a lot of helical on your fletching. If so, it will not fly through the biscuit well.

>Cam lean would be my guess.
> Sounds like you are
>not getting straight horizontal nock
>travel.
>
>Is there a lot of helical
>on your fletching. If
>so, it will not fly
>through the biscuit well.

yes 2 inch blazers with helical.
no cam lean.

Well you cant put much helical to a Blazer anyway so I doubt than is the problem.

Are you torquing the bow? Do you get a consistent tear each time?

Many guys will swear they dont have torque in their grip but that is a very common problem.

Well, I have an open grip on the bow. meaning I don't close my hand.
I am getting about a 6 inch group at the 40 and 50 yard mark.
30 yards and under is about a 3 inch groups.

when i was paper tunning, the tears were always the same.

I have a little over 3 weeks till season starts. should I call it good till after season?

Ok im no expert but my brother kinda had a problem like that. His arrows always flew a little crazy, then i figured out his D-loop was set a tad low, lower than it should be, set it again and that seemed to fix it. Dont know if you shoot with a D-loop but just a suggestion. Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]Are your cams timed properly? Then is your arrow contacting the rest or your site leaving the bow? If these are not the issue along with the nocking point or cam lean then I'd suspect that you may have a bent riser. I highly suspect timeing issues though and getting the nock/D loop in the right position is part of that. Good luck. If you have another rest take the biscut off and try that too as a last resort. Pigs right with what he told you these are just some other things to look at and try.

Just so I am clear, the fishtail is left to right not up and down.
Cams are in time as well as we can tell
the arrow is in contact with the rest the whole way through the release cycle. it is a whisker biscuit. I just think I need to change to something else rest wise.

More then likely if you have checked the nock point and it seams to be in the right spot you may want to start checking to see if you fletchings are clearing your rest. If they are hitting your rest they will make your arrow kick and fish tail.
What kind of rest is on your bow?

Make sure your not plucking with your release. If you're pulling out with it it can cause that type a condition. Make sure the vanes aren't hitting a cable too because that can cause issues. This is hard to do when you don't have a bow to look at so all we can do is offer things up. Spray your vanes with foot powder and look for marks on your bow. If your cams aren't evenly centered in the limbs it can also cause this when the arrow is released or a bent axle because the force is being exerted at an angle not along a straight vertical line. Good luck.

has the bow always done this? Or is this a new problem? Any chance the bow was dropped, dry fired or damaged somehow?

Could the fletching be hitting the riser or cable/cable guard? That can be a very common problem with high profile vanes. As Boskee said too you want to make sure you are releasing straight back, not off to the side. You also want to make sure you are not punching the trigger too.

it sounds like your not lined up verticaly
with your string and your rest.
eather you need to move your rest out or in towards the grip.
(left to right)
Do you have access to a laser alinement tool? most bow shops have one.
if not heres a quick check brace your bow verticalk using a level on the string.
get it as close to perfictly vertical as pos.
now you must do this with the bottom cam is resting on the floor or so you can behind it and view over the top cam at a 45 deg view and see the tip of your arrow in the glance down at your string and it shoud be in lin with you stringe do all this viewing with out moving you heat just your eyes
if tip orf the arrow doesn't line up with hte string and the cam you need to move your arrow rest left or out.
this is what causes the arrow to fish tail left -right .90 percent of the time this will take care of it.
the other could be that your hitting your cables with your vains. Make sure your cable guide rod is rotated out away from your arrow (if it is a bent type guide)
the worst case it could be your lims are torqued in or out and twisting on release.
Bad limbs.
this could be the bow shops problem or the manufactures.

Seriously, not to sound like a dink, but try having
someone else shoot and tune the bow. If they are able to get proper flight using all of your gear it would tell you that you have inconsistincies in your form.

Another thing that it could be along the lines of the torque problem...

If you had your draw weight adjusted and the bolts were not loosened/tightened the same amount on both the top and bottom limbs, it can cause the limb(s) to torque. Both should be done or undone an equal amount.

Hope you get it taken care of quickly....Bowhunt is in 9 days in UTAH!

GOOD LUCK and let us know if you fixed it and what you did!

~ERock

Id say if you had access to a different rest like a fall away to try that first. Also check the tiller and make sure its even. Good luck. Lets us know what happens.

Thoughts:
1. Do you have the proper size hole in the whisker biscuit? I believe for GT hunters a medium is suggested. A loose fit is needed.
2. Do you have the reference vane on each arrow vertical when nocked?
3. Really check out hand torque even though you think you are gripping loosely.

What stands out to me is 3 things here.

1 - If you have a whisker biscuit take the helical fletchings off and straighten them up.

2 - Put lipstick on your cables and see if you have clearance. If not rotate your nocks a little bit.

3 - I've learned the hard way an open grip does not mean no bow torque. Everybodies hand is a little different and you can torque it if your hand rotates during your draw and the grip will settle in your hand with a slight twist. To correct place your hand in the position it will be at (should be turned slightly) when at full draw then draw your bow at that point.

I second having someone else shoot it and see if they get the same results.

Thanks for all the input guys. to answer a few questions.
Yes, the rest was laser adjusted and still the same issue.

I will be heading to another bow shop tomorrow. After talking to a few people, they would suggest that it is the whisker biscuit and torquing the bow. I hope to have this sorted out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

DoubleA,

I use to go through the same thing every year. Just before the season I would be really anxious striving for that perfect arrow flight and I couldn't relax when I was practicing.

I would almost bet the farm that you are punching the release, peeking to see the arrow flight, or hitting something. Try shooting at close distances with your eyes closed to get the feel of a natural release and follow through...do the lipstick thing it will tell you if you are hitting.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-09 AT 09:08PM (MST)[p]sorry to hear your bow problems, you have heard a lot of opinions and since everyone else chimed in here this is what I have to say.

I know you said they moved your rest to the left that doesn't make any sense to me because of the arrows you are shooting. If I were shooting the same arrows off my bow i would get a left tear meaning I would need to move my rest to the riser. I believe you are seeing a stiff spine. I shoot 3555 out of my apex 7 with 60lbs and a 27 inch draw. I have a friend that is shooting a Mathews LD, 30" draw with 28.5" inch arrows at 67 lbs he can shoot bullet holes with 5575's with 100grn tps. if he goes to the 7595 he needs to add more then 40 grains of point weight to get them to get the same bullet hole.
I think you could add a lot more point weight to the tip or add more lbs to the bow. My guess is this is the real problem you are having and its easily fixed!!!!!

arrows will tell you a lot about your set up especially if every thing is in time and in spec. Meaning you have checked your timing, axle to axle, tiller, cam lean. once you have done that all you should have to do is set your rest to the proper center shot horizontally by the bow specs away from the riser. then set it vertically so your arrow goes through your burger button hole in your riser. then you are ready to go shoot through paper. if I get a left tear it means my spine is stiff. so I add point weight or lbs, get a longer arrow, switch to a softer spine arrow. the arrow charts are a guide line only and usually error on the stiff side for legal reasons once you under stand what your arrows/bow combo are telling you, you can get more flexible with your selection. Then you might be able to shoot almost as good as me. LOL hope this helps out

also get rid of the WB rest. The WB is one of the worst especially if you are having problems IMHO switch to a drop away.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Up date,

well after a day back and forth from the bow shop and the range, i got rid of the whisker biscuit and got a trophy taker pronghorn rest. the rest was only part of the equation. the rest made me more consistent, however, i am torquing the bow on release.
I couldn't paper tune for anything. FInally the guy at the bow shop shot my bow and was shooting bullet holes.

so i am working on my "new" grip while shooting.

the 5575 arrows are fine, it was me the whole time. I injured my elbow earlier this year and it caused me to hold my bow different. well bad habits happen fast. now I am trying to change in 3 weeks...
thanks all

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom