bowcast at the bird

moseleymiddleton

Im thinking of going to this shoot in july and was wondering on what should i expect as the quality of the shoot? are the targets setup for realistical hunting shots in the normal round, i know the smoker round is suposed tobe 100 yd line of sight shos with an angle comp making the 75 to 90 yrd shots. but what is your overall opinion of the shoot as for quality of peaple and the amount of fun to shoot. i will be traveling 600miles to be there the longest ive ever had to go to shoot but i want to shoot some larger shoots for th experiance

thanks
moseley middleton

My friend and I did it last year. It's pretty fun. The shots are realistic shots if you are hunting in rugged, steep country. I did loose a few arrows as did my buddy, so bring extras. We'll probably do it again if we have nothing better to do.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I went last year and thought it was fun. The shots are realistic for the most part. The only thing i didn't like was the lines to shoot. We waited between 20-40 minutes at each station.

As already mentioned, the wait between shots got to be a bit long. The course itself is well thought out, it's a bit rugged with high altitude thrown in just for fun. Some of the targets are well protected, a 60 yd uphill shot at a bighorn comes to mind, boulders in front and behind him= BROKEN ARROW.
It's realistic and fun, takes a whole day to shoot it. There's also a fun shoot up parleys canyon, about 10 minutes outside of Salt lake, that is open to the public on Fridays. Gives you another option if you decide to make the journey.

I went the first year and had a good time. I think the shots are fun and challenging but but I wouldn't say they are realistic. In other words I would have chosen to get a lot closer on a live animal. Based on the number of broken arrows we found I would say the same should apply to 98% of the people there.

I went last year on Saturday and thought it was awesome. Perhaps it was beginners luck (2nd year archer) but I came home with all my arrows, even did the smoker round and finished with 2 arrows on that. Lines got to be a bit problematic as the day went on but our group hit it first thing in the morning and then did the smoker round mid day.

As the entire crew gathered for the drawing of gear, my buddy and I slipped out on the other (uphill from the lift) course and had it to ourselves which was pretty cool too. The hike down at the end of the day was fun. Seriously never thought I'd see a huge pile of archers walking around a ski resort.

I'd say it's something to plan on, not just a "if I've got nothing better to do" sort of shoot.

I would recommend this shoot to anyone. The FMP guys know how to put together a great 3D shoot. If you hunt high altitude type of places with lots of angled shots than I would go. Its great practice, and lots of fun. Yes the lines where long but they are going to change that this year by having it for 3 days and you can buy a pass for how many days you want to go. Saturday is the day to go cause they give out tons of prizes and its a lot of fun to get together with tons of other die hard bow hunters. Like the last post. Its not a maybe I should go if I have nothing to do. Its a must go. Cause its a blast. Shots from 30-70 yards I would say on the elite course and anywhere from straight on to shoot through a hole in the bushes to 45 degree shoots down hill or up hill.

Don't waste you're money. We drove 2.5 hours to shoot the smoker on Sunday morning last year. When we arrived we were told to piss off by one of the fmp guys. Apparently they were too backed up from people the day before. But they opened it up a couple hours later for anyone to shoot but not compete. What a joke! They got all their buddies through and shut it down. We decided to shoot the extreme course; the wait was horrendous, people shooting 3-5 arrows at each target. Not worth the time or the money!
There are lots of 3D shoots all summer that seem to do a better job.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom