Box Elder Peak Billy 2013

• Thread starter patientlywaiting
  • Start date
P

patientlywaiting

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-14 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p]I'm finally getting around to posting some pics from a friend, Brent McGhie?s goat hunt last year.

I've hunted the Box Elder and the Lone Peak unit with friends 9-10 times now for goats since the mid-80s and this had to be the toughest hunt so far. I'm not talking about the fact that I'm now exactly 30 years older than I was on that first goat hunt in 1984; although while sitting at 11,060 feet in a 60mph blizzard a few days before he killed his billy, I was really rethinking my hobbies, and more closely, my choice of friends.

It was the toughest hunt because plain and simple...we couldn't find any goats.

In the past, on any summer or fall day you could find 50-60 goats without much effort feeding across the face of Box Elder Peak. I've watched them countless times from my home or the top of the Alpine Cemetery and I could just count on them always being there. These were nannys, kids and small billys. And even though we never found a shooter in this group, because of these numbers, we could always find several big billys within a mile of these females that we could watch until they furred out better and then shoot one.

This year in 4-5 different trips up on the peak and around the 14 mile loop that surrounds BE Peak, the Alpine Divide and the Silver Lake area we saw two goats on Box Elder, a few on the back of the peak which could have been the same two and a couple on Mine Hill. That's all. I had a guy tell me that he had seen 11 there earlier in the summer, but immediately questioned that when he followed up by saying that one of them was at least a 14? billy. Probably the same guy who saw the pack of wolves up by Lambert Park, (Old Alpine Story) .

I called the Biologist a few days after we got off the mountain with Brent's billy and ask about the decline. He told me they were aware that the numbers were down didn't know why. They were wondering if the big Alpine Fire in 2012 pushed them clear out of the area, but they didn't have any reports of extra goats in the surrounding areas. They also wondered if due to the drought we've had in the last few years that they weren't able to build up there fat in the summer and maybe winter killed. Although the Timp herd hadn't shown any decline in numbers so that didn't make sense. He did tell me then that they would combine the Timp, Lone Peak and Box Elder Units this year (which they did) until they find out.

My wife now has 18 goat points (one of only three in the state) and pretty much guaranteed any unit she puts in for, but now possibly has a ruptured disk. So after all these years of hunting this country and planning she may have to put in for an easier unit or just buy another point this year. So if you all have any ideas on units your familiar with I would greatly appreciate it. We need to decide before tomorrow at 11pm.. Crunch time.

Back to Brent's hunt.

34501.jpg

We killed Brent's billy at the base of the center peak two days after I took this pic. I've never found goats here in the past. This was also the day after the storm we were caught in. We were on top of the peak which is just going out of view on the left of this pic.

89232.jpg

Brent killed the lower billy. This pic was taken by Kevin through his spotting scope from over a 1/2 mile away. THe billy was actually in the ledges above where they are now when Brent shot him.

12423.jpg

Kevin was down by the lake with his scope keeping track of the goats while we made our stalk. Brent and I were on the circular bench in the center of this pic just out from the pines when he shot the billy. 290 yds, and a very steep shot. The billy was about 100 yards further up the hill in the ledges from where it lays in this pic when Brent center punched him and he then rolled to this point. Luckily he caught his foot which kept him from going off a 100' ledge just beyond the jackpines in the pic.

58744.jpg

Kevin-right, Brent-center ad myself-left with Brents billy. All of the billies I've helped take have been between 9 1/2" and 10" Billys. This one is the third largest,

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

What an awesome story and adventure you have had for the past 30 years! I am very jealous! I wish I knew what the story was behind the goats but I have no clue.... Good luck on your wife's quest, and I hope you guys drop the hammer on one!

Tallbuck1

Not only is that one of the prettiest pictures ever taken but you must be the finest guide on the planet. Anyone that can get a hound guy to quit drinking long enough to sober up for a hunt like that is special. I've seen a Hound dogger stay sober long enough for maybe a duck hunt but not a hunt like that. Surely you told him their was a case of Jack Daniels and some strippers on the top of that mountain to get him up there. Good job boys.

cb,
You know it really shocked me too but even in these days we occasionally observe a true miracle. Although hearing him cry himself to sleep each night was kind of anoying at times.

And speaking of miracles, he told me he was going to either put me in his will or sell off one of his $12,000 lion dogs to help pay me for the hunt.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Great recap PW!
Those goats roam some of the scariest cool looking real estate on earth. Congrats on a great story and trophy.
Best wishes to the Mrs. on her quest.

Great pictures, friends, awesome scenery, and a great long haired goat. What more could anyone ask for.

Bill

I love those pictures! Congrats to your buddy.

I still have a house down in Perry, Utah. We use to sit on our porch and watch the goats up in the cliffs. I still keep putting in as a non resident every year. I'd gladly fly down from Alaska to hunt goats on Willard Peak.

Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing. I just love when they are haired up. I have 17 pts myself and need to pull a tag one of these days :)

Brings back some great memories of my hunt with you guiding me. Mostly good memories and one or two bad one's. It is some awesome country and some awesome animals. Also the most physical hunt!!!

Hey patientlywaiting,
I drew out on Willard Pk for the early hunt. Do you have any advice to help me out?
Thanks,
Don

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom