Box trailer for hunting camp

Muleyhunter05

Does anyone use a box trailer/enclosed trailer for a camp? Im just curious how it works and what people like and dislike. Im thinking that it would be useful to be able to haul four wheelers and use the same trailer as camp.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-17 AT 10:42PM (MST)[p]I presume you're talking about what most call a cargo trailer. There are many in use and my buddy in Wyoming has 7'x12' one that we use to camp in areas that we can't access with my 19' self contained trailer. Here we are with it out in unit 6A in AZ last September on an archery elk hunt. We have bunks in it and set up that tent frame next to it for cooking and eating.

7745p1020619.jpg

That's an idea I have been planning but haven't pulled the trigger on. I want to put a kitchen set, chest freezer, generator, tent, cots, all the camp goodies in a small maneuverable trailer for out of state hunting. My grandpa had a 5x8 pace trailer that fit a queen air mattress perfectly. My wife and I stayed in it once and it was comfy.

I've seen stoves in the front of the V necks, just remember there not insulated. I'd take an souped up inclosed over a reg.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-17 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]I have no idea what the cost difference would actually be after setting up a cargo trailer, but you might be better off just finding a smaller used toy hauler? Might be worth looking to see what's out there. I really have no idea. I've owned 2 toy haulers and have really liked them. If you did a cargo trailer, you could probably get away with an overall smaller trailer though.

I just set up that way this year.

8.5 x 16

It's very convenient. It keeps the wind out much better than a tent, you have a good level floor, and camp is nearly set up as soon as you back out the bikes.

We just set up cots for sleeping inside and do all of our cooking and such outside under a pop up canopy.

It is working out really well.

My dad used to have a 7 X 14 that we used it worked out good, but was very very cold inside in the late season. we had a propane heater to warm it up & it worked good. My dad sold it & now he uses his 5th wheel toyhauler & I have a Jumping Jack tent trailer.

Only One Thing I Don't Like about an ATV/Camp trailer Combo!

F'N PETRO Fumes always venting out of the ATV's in to everything & Then You Gotta Breathe that!

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

We use a box trailer as they are called where I live.
Don't sleep in it much but sometimes we do on quick trips. We use a tent to sleep in and store our gear in the trailer where it can be locked.
Works great for us.

Enclosed box trailers work great. Get one with a drop rear door as well as one side door. Insulate it with sheets of insulation from home depot cut them to size yourself. Pick up one long enough for cots and a small table for eating and cooking. You can use conventional lanterns or the LED type from costco they work great for realy season hunting. Regular laterns do give off heat and fumes. For cold weather pick up a Mr. Heater, they have an oxygen sensor for safety and they work I tested it.... convert to 5gal. Propane tank. Pick up a 10x10 pop up shade from Colman on line they have a nice heavy duty shade that you can order sides as an accessory then you can cook outside in nice weather and convert it into a tent without floor if needed.....
We picked up a combo stove,oven from bass/pro works awesome....$300 but worth it....
Good luck

))))------->

34083img2034.jpg

This setup is hard to beat. The rear slide is all hard-sided and it's a full King.

Sleeps 5-8 comfortably. Front deck holds 2 quads plus generators and coolers. It's "lifted" so it can go places most other trailers can't. It's got an 18 gallon fuel cell with pump to keep the Atvs and generators running all week.

Tows great. No gas fumes inside. You'd have to dump a fortune into an enclosed trailer to get what this hybrid does. Toilet, insulated with AC and heater, shower, micowave, stove, sink, fridge, freezer, hot water, dining table, awning.........

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

I started using one last year for the first time and loved it. I got a Mirage 7'x16' side by side model. It is tall so the roll cage can clear while driving in. Cleaner than a tent and easy with no set up. I have installed more lights and insulated the ceiling for this year's trip.

24722dscn1540.jpg

22099trailerinside.jpg

I like that you can customize shelving and storage, keep things out of the wind/rain/snow, and the setup time is minimal. You'll need to have a heating system if it's going to be chilly, they do not retain any heat. Also, bring some earplugs. The rain will be heavily amplified inside, like being inside a tin can!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-17 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]My trailer is a Mirage (TNT) 7 x 16 side by side model. Basically the side x side model has reinforced ramp door and extra foot of height and floor tie downs. I had them install the door window and side window at the factory. I added removeable shelving, hooks, and removeable clothes hanger. I installed a battery on the tongue to plug trailer lights into for interior lighting and I also added another inside light. I just finished insulating the ceiling with bubble insulation. Last year with no insulation and around 33-34 degrees outside the big buddy heater would get the inside to around 78 degrees. We had to open the door to cool off while we were getting ready. So far I am happy with the setup. This winter I plan to install outside lights.

VERY important if you do sleep in it with any sort of heater going...is to vent it! You might not ever wake up otherwise!

The trailer in my photo was fully insulated by my buddy and has a roof vent that is always open when we sleep with the Buddy heater on. We also always have a good CO detector in it or my 19' travel trailer when we hunt out of it. The back end of his cargo trailer does have a full drop down ramp/door that we can open when we're in camp the middle of the day. When it's down I found that it makes a nice bed for a relaxing midday nap, LOL!

I have a 27 ft Interstate I'm not bragging but 2 years ago I stayed in my inclosed 53 days and I love it. I put a table up in the v nose and I mounted a Empire ventless heater on the wall. I keep all my hunting and camping stuff in there. I have a 2 burner and oven combo from camp chef that put on the table to make coffee I built shelves down one side.I have big pieces of carpet on the floor. For lighting I leave my truck plugged in. I ordered some LED lights that look like your light switch in your house. I just got home from bear hunting and they worked awesome.So when I get ready to go hunting I loaded my Can-am,food and coolers and everything else is in the trailer.Its the only way to go

I stayed in a friends 24' er. He had bunks on the sides that folded down, 2 per side that were stacked. They folded up so he could get his Jeep ? in.

The front was a pointed nose thingy. He had a sink, frig, and kerosene ran heater in the front.

All I remember was it was comfortable, and we drank Jonny Walker Blue Label on the rocks.

This was a Memorial Day weekend quad ride and squirrel hunt but it was in the low 30 at night and we were comfortable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom