Broadhead tuning?

bgh7404jas

I can't seem to get my broadheads to fly with my field tips. I'm shooting FMJ 400s at 26.5" with 85gr Montecs at 70#. The broadheads impact 2-3" to the right of my field tips. I tried moving my rest toward the field tip 1/32" at a time but it just moved everything. So I thought weak spine and tried 340s with the same result. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Jerad

Vane contact? Have you paper tuned? Also any specific reason for the 85gr? I'd think the 100gr might be better.

I have paper tuned. I'm trying the 85gr because the 400 spine seemed marginal for my set up so to try and stiffen up the arrow I went to 85gr. Jerad

+1 on the 100gr. rather than the 85gr. Also if you try the 100gr. Montec's, throw those 100gr. on those FMJ340's and you will have one heck of a killing machine. Everyone I know that shoots that setup has no problem shooting broadheads same as field points. Plus you will get a lot of KE, Momentum, Penitration or something I am confused these days?... maybe we should just call it "killing force energy" with the heavier total arrow weight :)

)))).......>

Not to throw a wrench in your efforts.... but I would check your broadheads with the walk back method ( shoot at 20, then shoot at 30 and 40 still aiming at the same dot with your 20 yard pin), if your arrow is flying really fast you may want to do this at 20,40, and 50 yards. If your arrows are impacting in a straight vertical line and you are getting good groups at all ranges you should be just fine. If your arrow impacts farther to the left or right at the longer distances you will need a slight horizontal adjustment of your rest. Many times I have had excellent results with broadhead accuracy with a setup that has a difference between broadhead and field point impacts. Obviously with the right tweeking (usually spine and/or fletching configurations) you can bring the impact points together. For my own setups... I never shoot field tips out of my hunting bows once tuned anyway.

I think I have the same issue. My field tips and my practice Rage BH (mechanical) fly the same. My G5 Montecs Fly 2" to the right.

I have a 26.5" draw. Shooting Easton FMJ 400 with 125 gr head. It's been paper tuned.

JR

Along with your specs we need to know what bow you are shooting to determine proper spine.

If spine is correct and the BH won't close the gap to field points when the rest is moved, you could have cam lean, vane contact, or most commonly, grip torque.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom