Broadheads for turkeys

hangfire

O.K. So I have a turkey tag this spring for Utah. My question is which broadhead do you use? Shot two turkeys both with fixed heads and recovery was tough to say the least. Looking at getting the NAP gobbler getter to try this year. My equipment will be a bowtech prodigy, 350 carbon express arrows shooting around 315 FPS. Thanks for any comments.

Get the widest cutting expandable that you can find. You want to break that hip so they can't fly or run. Fixed heads seem to zip right through the bird and they will run off and die with not much of a blood trail.

88 hit it exactly! Here in the No Kali valley we use the widest expanding broadheads we can find. A frontal hit is generally trouble.....bust up them legs.

Again, good call 88

I am using the Bullheads. Today is opener. Hopefully I can report back soon. I would rather lop the head off or have a clean miss. Not sure how my taxidermist will feel about this...

The Rocket Hammerhead would be a good one as it has a 2" cut. I'd also recommend a good pair of track shoes. As soon as the bird is hit come out of the blind on the run, even if it is flopping. They have a nasty habit of getting back up and either flying or running away. And they generally don't leave a blood trail either. Good luck on your hunt!

NRA Life Member

"The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once!"

I use the same head as I use for other species. Shot placement is the key. Never had any problems with them flying away.....they die QUICK when arrowed through the lungs.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom