Broken carbons

B

BUNKHOLE

Anyone know what would cause a carbon to break clean in half after the release? This has happened to me twice in a couple of weeks.

What kind of carbons and what draw weight are you using??? how much per inch do your carbons weigh? and what weight is your tip?

Number one, is that there was a crack in the length of the shaft from being hit by another arrow in a target. This is fairly common when shooting targets from different angles with arrow already in the target.

You must check your arrows everytime you suspect that it could have possibly been hit by another arrow in the bale.

You do this by bending and twisting at the same time. Any delaminations of cracks will bulge up. It's a fairly simple exercise, but the only way to determine if any damage has occured to a carbon arrow. Aluminums just dent and you can see it plain as day. Carbons don't show a thing most of the time.

It is possible, if your set up is way out of tune, that it could be adding the problem or causing the arrow to hit the riser badly. You should be able to have someone see your shot and determine that in a second though. I mean it would have to be way out of whack!

Breaking arrows on release will give you target panic worse than anything you could have happen to you next to breaking a string. If you feel uncomfortable shooting, switch to some aluminum arrows for a while.

This will bring back the confidence in your shot, then make sure to check your carbons regularly for delams and splits.

Cheers,
Pete

Shooting Epic400 at 65lbs,100grain. The arrows are fairly new,though i did shoot them quite a bit at the bale.The arrows are flying sweet,so i think tuning is not the problem.Im guessing there might be nicks,but don't see them.

Arrows might not be spined for that draw weight. My brothers bow did that to him. He was shooting High Country and when he turned it up is when it started happening. Arrows where not spined for the poundage he put it on so was breaking arrows.

fca2e9e9.jpg

I am shooting a Parker bow and have no clue is to what "spined" means. Sorry for my ignorance.Can you explain?

Take your bow and the arrows you are using to a pro shop they will tell you what needs to be done or whats wrong.... either you've got the wrong arrows or the arrows are bad!

The spine refers to the stiffness of the arrow....if your poundage is to high then an arrow will bend or break(carbon) if the spine is not "stiff" or strong enough....check the arrow chart for correct spine and length with the cams and poundage chart.......

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-04 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]A 400 spine is just about perfect for 65 lbs and a normal draw lengths.

In any case it's not far enough off to cause any arrow breakage in any circumstance.

The AMO / ATA measurement for spine (ASTM F2031-00) (stiffness of an arrow) is to bend a 29" arrow between 28" supports with a 880 gram weight, then measure the deflection.

A 400 spine is one that bends 0.400". More specifics on your arrow length would get you the exact infomation on if it is the right arrow.

Go here and enter the info to confirm your arrows are perfect for your set up.

http://www.archeryoutdoors.com/shaft-selector-guides/huntingshafts/step1.tpl

Then look them over again perfectly to find any imperfections, dings or cracks. Chuck any arrow that is not perfect.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the info.That chart says that i have the right arrow.So im' guessing that there are some small nicks,maybe will go back to aluminum . Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom