Browning A-bolt, 30-06, looking to change bullets, looking for similar gun owners opinions

hossblur

Long Time Member
Browning A-bolt, 30-06, looking to change bullets, looking for similar gun owners opinions

Have used silver tiped win. 180 for a while now and was thinking about new lead. Cost of shells being what they are and different guns shooting different, I would like to at least narrow down the choices. What do you think. Nothing personal but I only care about the A- bolt guys cuz that is what I have.

RE: Browning A-bolt, 30-06, looking to change bullets, looking for similar gun owners opinions

hossblur, I am sure you realize it, but just because one A-Bolt shoots a particular load accurately, does not mean yours will. In the .30-06, I always used 180 gr bullets. The Core-Lokt. But, since the Core-Lokt is inadequate these days, try the Accubond, TSX or one that my buddy has had great success with, the Scirrocco. I can tell you from being witness to numerous kills, the Scirrocco works. But, it all comes down to what your rifle will shoot in the end. mtmuley

RE: Browning A-bolt, 30-06, looking to change bullets, looking for similar gun owners opinions

Sure, but often you find that a cetain brand, on better yet model shoots some bullets more consistantly than others.

O.K. If that is the case, a friend of mine and his uncle both get good results with the 180 gr Accubond, in White Gold Medallions. One shoots WAY better than the other, but both good enough for the average hunter. Every gun is different. I've never known one brand of rifle to like one make of bullet in every rifle produced. Don't limit yourself to what shoots in someone else's A-Bolt. Try what you like, and hunt with the one that shoots the best. mtmuley

Well, I'm not sure about the .30-06's but both of my A-bolt Medallions shoot the Federal Factory loads with Accubonds very well.

.270 Win - 140gr .5"moa
.300 Win Mag 180gr .725moa

The .300 also flies the 165gr Partition loads under a MOA

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-08 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]My A-bolt medallion likes the sirroccos 165's, Accubonds, 165's and the Barnes TSX 165's loaded with IMR 4350 57.5 Grains of Powder.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-08 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]I would say MT Muley hit the nail on the head. Try a few and shoot what works well in your gun! By the way core-lokts have killed millions of deer and other animals and the same goes for Sierra game kings. Shot placement is always the key componet in one shot success in the field. There's certainly nothing wrong with any of todays premium bullets but a guy can save himself a few bucks shooting a lower cost bullet and still wind up taken home the bacon! The selection of loaded ammunition today enables every hunter to find a load that works well in their gun.

absolutely nothing wrong with core-lokts....when I got my A-bolt 30-06 I cycled through several different brands, several "premium" bulltets, and landed on core-lokts and use those exclusively in my A-bolt 30-06....they have performed flawlessly in that caliber with 180 grain bullets. With that being said, I have 4 other A-bolts in various calibers and none them could shoot the core-lokts worth a darn or I had issues with how effective they were on game.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom