Browning B78, what's it worth?

Sukie

I got lucky last night and won the RMEF dinner gun at our local banquet! The gun is a Browning B78 Sporter 300 H&H(#122 of 450). There's not much info out there as this is the first Browning production of this caliber and I'm not much of a collector, but this gun is gorgeous! Any ideas on value or is anyone interested? Thanks!

Sukie

Well i know a bit about the B-78 and the 1885's. Kinda too bad, IMO, that your rifle came in 300 H&H. pretty much a forgotten chambering maybe intended to create some collector value. I would think one chambered in say, a 260 Rem. or 25-06, would have much more interest.

As a hunting weapon, i find the b-78's to be a very fine choice when matched with a suitable cartridge and in the hands on one who knows his business. I'd not hesitate to put down my bolt action rifles and hunt only with a b-78 or 1885.

Really, you need to post up some pic's if you want a close value. There are several options, not including your "limited Edition", mostly concerning barrel configuration, round or octagon, and barrel length.

Most of these sell new between $900 to $1400. depending, but i would not myself be interested in yours due to it's cartridge.

Joey

Thanks SA for your input, I agree totally on the caliber, which is why some Browning fan would appreciate it more than me.

My gun has a 26" round barrel. I don't have any pics on my computer but there are general pics on rmef banquet posters.

This gun is just trading stock to me as I also won a Remington 700 xcr in 7mm RUM at Pheasants Forever Banquet. I know why can't I win something a little more common!(#####, #####, #####)

Just to complicate things I have a Remington 700 sps in 7mm mag being returned to the factory as the cartridges are sticking in the chamber(besides it isn't grouping worth a damn either), so another question is what to replace the 7mm with? Like I said I have some good tradin' stock now. Thanks again!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom