Browning BAR Magazine

Meander

Is there a company or individual out there that offers a magazine system for the Browning BAR that hold more rounds than that offered by the factory? I would like to purchase a BAR Safari in .300 WSM but want to carry more rounds than just the 2 offered in the factory magazine. More like 4 or 5 rounds.

Also, what muzzle velocity can I expect of the BAR .300 WSM? Will I get the same muzzle velocity from the BAR with a 23" barrel as I would with a Browning A-Bolt with a 23" barrel? Winchester ammunition posts muzzle velocities for the following .300 WSM 150 grain and 180 grain Ballistic Silver Tip bullets.
150 grain = 3300
180 grain = 3010

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the subjects above.

I am not aware of any aftermarket magazines for the BAR, I think the WSM is just too fat to hold more rounds than that. As far as velocity, it will be close enough as to not warrant any concern for sure.

I do not know how you could put a larger magazine in the gun. The magazine is held in by the drop down door. There would not be any other way to hold it in place.

Browningman1,

I apologize for not stating that I had already taken the closed hinged floor plate into consideration.

That floor plate can be easily modified or removed to accommodate a different and expanded magazine system. I just want to know if someone has already done it. If not I'll design one myself and make some money off it.

Out west hunting jack rabbits and coyotes is one of the best ways I know of to learn how to shoot your big game rifle. Having to reload after only three shots is a pain. Yes, I know I can buy and have more than one magazine in my pocket for quicker field reloading, but that's not what I'm after when multiple rabbits and coyotes are within range. I also know I can carry a .223 or .22-250 that both hold up to six rounds, but that defeats the purpose of getting familiar with my big game rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom