Browning Medallion VS Rem. 700 LSS

ORsouthpaw

It's time to start thinking about a new gun. I'm looking at a Browning Medallion 7mm Mag or Remington 700 LSS in 7mm Ultra Mag. What are peoples opinions of these two guns? I know the most obvious is Wood/Blued Barrel VS Laminated Synthetic/Stainless Barrel. I'm like the Browning because of the classic look but I like the ruggedness of the 700 LSS. What would y'all do?

i would go with the remington.theres just something about the brownings that i dont like.and the abundance of rem 700 aftermarket parts and accesories make(in my mind) an easy decision.just my thoughts.u cant really go wrong.

I would also go with the remington. I have the same gun in the 7mm mag, and absolutely love the gun. It is beautiful and shoots like a dream. I have never owned a browning and probably never will. I know many people who have had brownings and got rid of them within a few months of purchase, because of problems they have had. I think you should also look at the vanguard made by Howa.

Thanks for the feedback. I went and talked to a local gunshop and the only thing they had to say was that the Ultra Mag cartridges are tough to shoot because of the added recoil. I'm not concerned too much about that as I already have a .308 Norma Mag that has enough recoil to rival a Jack Hammer. What kind of problems have you heard about with the Brownings? Just curious.

I've never had a problem with browning and that is all I shoot. I dont see how people can not like browning rifles....

The short 60 degree bolt-throw calls for faster shooting and more clearance for scopes.
These rifles come with magazines so that you can take the clip out of the gun and load it...(instead of having the spring clip and trying to load through the top).

All I shoot is Brownings, and I wouldn't trust another company unless it was Weatherby.

I've hunted with a Browning A-bolt Gold Medallion (30'06) for about eight years and have had no problems. It's a great gun. My dad has a Medallion (7mm Mag), also. I think he loves it more than he loves his kids. You can't go wrong with either one.

Well after standing at the counter for an hour trying to decide between calibers I took the plunge and bought a New Browning A-bolt Medallion in .300 Winchester Mag. I plan on hunting elk and mule deer here in Oregon. Do you guys think that this is overkill? My thoughts were I could use a lighter round in the 150-165gr range for deer and then move up from there. I wanted a rifle the I can go after just about anything with including black bear down the road, should I have went with a 7mm Mag?. Just doing a little second guessing, let me know what you think. Thanks

ORsouthpaw

I think you made an excellent choice. I have 11 different Brownings ranging from 223 to 45-70. I have 1 Remington 22-250 and if the deal I got was not as good as it was, I would have 12 Brownings.

I have been using them for the last 20 years and never had a problem that I did not cause. The customer service is exceptional, I had the forgrip on mu A5 mag split while out on a hunt, called Browning, sent it back to them. 2 weeks later I received a new forgrip with the cracked one to show finish match. Inside there was a letter from the person that checked out my gun, "The reason for the split was due to overtightning of the tube cap on the forgrip." Clearly my fault, but they still replaced it free of charge, cost me $8 to ship it to them.

I have both the 300 and the 7mm in the medallion, and I love them both. I buy all my guns with the boss on them, I use the vented boss at the range and it knocks the recoil of my 7mm to about the same as my Rem 22-250. I work up my loads, set the boss, and change to the boss-cr to hunt. It reduces the noise alot.

You really have some versatility with the 300, I have shot 125gr ballistic tips at dogs, makes 1 heck of a mess (we also judge each other on hangtime and splatter coverage), and have shot 220 gr Partitions loads on a bear trip to Canada 2 years ago, BTW-the partition smashed both shoulders and kept getting it out the other side. I use 70gr of RL25 fed 215gm primers with fed gm brass for the 220s. Start at about 64gr and work up. I think you can probally cover what ever you want to with it.

Duane

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-04 AT 09:03AM (MST)[p]You made a good choice that you will not regret. Fine rifle and cartridge.

I have an A-bolt that I like very much in 06. My kid is interested in a left handed 270 WSM in the Medallion. I like the features of the Brownings and I have had Remingtons in the past.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom