Browning X-Bolt?

• Thread starter wisconsinfarmer
  • Start date
W

wisconsinfarmer

Considering buying a Browning X-bolt, shot one the other day and the trigger is amazing. Does anyone know of any down falls to the X-bolt? or know of a comparable priced gun that maybe is better?

Browning makes good stuff, but there are a lot of other good manufacturers out there like Tikka, Howa, Sako, Ruger, Winchester, etc.

I have a new X-Bolt in 270WSM and I really like it. It is a stainless stalker with a synthetic stock and I love how light it is. I have had it about a year and have killed two antelope and a deer with it. It has performed very well.
I will say that I actually had a little work done on my trigger because I like a lighter pull than what my gun came with. But I typically do that with all of my guns out of the box.

I have an X-Bolt in 300 WM and it is awsome. Broke it's cherry on a 5X6 bull in September and then used it on my CO deer hunt. Took a little forky (last day meat deer) and it performed great. Little deer folded up and was gone before he hit the ground.

I load 180gr Nosler Partitions pushed with 75gr RL-22. Great groups at 100yds and 1 1/2" groups at 200yds. My crony reads between 3,050 and 3,100fps so the 180's are flying pretty quick.

Another plus is it's lighter than any other rifle I have so at the end of a long hunting day my shoulder is not falling off.

The detachable magazine is great and each round in the magazine sets straight with the chamber so it cycles real smooth. The bolt only opens to 45 degree so working the bolt is fast when you need it to be. The price is comparable to a Remington 700 so you can't go wrong.

Don't know what else to say.

I also have a Remington 700 300WM that shoots as good or better with Barnes TTSX 180's loaded with 73gr RL-19. (Bought a lot of 19 when 22 was not available. The Remington does not have any noticable differences with 19 or 22 so I'm using my 19 when I shoot the Remington.)

If you have any other questions let me know.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-12 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]I have a X Bolt Stainless Hunter in 25-06 and it is probably my favorite rifle that I own. I love the looks of it and it handles really well.

The trigger is excellent and very easy to adjust. I set mine for about as low as it would go and it breaks nice and crisp. Others have mentioned the bolt throw- it's awesome and makes mounting a scope really easy.

I really can't think of any downfalls other than just being a little pricey. You might find some good deals if you shop around, but you will spend a little more than what you would for a Tikka or Remington 700 sps. I think the price is worth it though. It's a solid rifle and I don't think you'd have any regrets. I certainly don't.

P.S. I killed a small buck with it this past fall and I'm looking to add another to it's resume this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom