Brownings Plastic Stock....question

H

Hornseeker

I'm just curious what anyones experience is with the molded stock on the Abolts?

I just inherited a nearly new Abolt with wood stock and would like to get a synthetic. I checked out all the "affordable" companies and no one makes one for my gun (its an Abolt II, I guess its not the same as the Abolt). McMillan makes one, but dang, its 400+ dollars and I dont have that, I still have to spend 300 on a scope plus mounts.

Anyhow, I found a guy who has the same gun with the plastic and he wants wood. Sooooo, if I trade him I'll have it and he's willing to trade. Is this stock just too flimsy and will gun shoot fairly tight with this stock? I know they will shoot tight with wood, but I just really want a synthetic!

Thanks for any advice,

HS

I've got 2 stainless A-bolts with plastic stocks, a 270 and a 7mm. Both shoot VERY good. Just make sure the contours are the same. My 2 aren't interchangable.

JB

Can you describe to me a bit why they aren't interchangeable? Are they just totally different or what? My buddy has a 300 Win and I have a 3006, I'm going to see if they interchange or not.

Thanks,

Ernie

Fill the hollow part of the forearm with fiberglass mat and some epoxy. I did that on my plastic Model 70 stock and it really stiffened it up. It did also make it a bit heavier though. Then I bed the action and it shoots great.

The 270 barrel is a 22" lightwt. barrel and the 7mm is a 26" sporter contour. The 270 will fit in the 7mm stock but not the other way.

JB

Yes first make sure they are interchangable.. Secondly the stock on the Browning is actually not too bad. its a graphite/fiberglass/plastic mixed stock. All mine have shot very well. If you go the custom route check out Bansners High Tech stocks, I believe they can be had for about $225. Also give Rick Bin a ring over on 24hourcampfire.com he sells McMillans at a discount. Good luck

Cool, thanks Boman and D13er, and all.

I want something I can beat on and neglect and not have to strip down and refinish every two years, and I really dont want to have a beat up "checkering" which I KNOW I'd have on my wood stock.

Bansners does not make a Browning stock....neither do anyone else except for McMillan, 400+ then I still have to get it fitted/bedded. The browning stock is $202.

Hopefully the trade will work out, otherwise I'll just stick with the walnut.

Hornseeker,
Bell and Carlson makes stocks to fit Brownings, go to bellandcarlson.com

Funny thing, I have there catalog sitting right here and they have some good stocks and some awesome camo options, or tan with black web which is what I'd get....anyhow, there stocks are for the A Bolt. According to them and Browning, in 1996 I think it was, Browning stopped making the A Bolt and started making the A bolt II, even though they dont always denote it that way. To make a long story short, I talked to B&C on the phone and they said their A bolt stock WILL NOT work for an A Bolt II.

On the other hand, my gunsmith told me to buy one and we'd make it work. Well, I need to find out more about how much work it will be, cause if he has to spend many hours on it I'd just as soon spend 400 on a McMillan....or just stick with wood, or buy the Browning stock.....

Its a pain in the ass. All in all, if I want a rifle with a synthetic stock I'd probably be better off buying a new gun in the caliber I want then spending big bucks on putting a synthetic on the '06. I love 06', but dang, I've been shooting one since I was 14 and I really would like to get a new caliber like the 300 short or something like that.

Thanks for trying man,

Ernie

I've got an A Bolt with the synthetic stock. It works as good or better than any wood stock I've used. I feel the same way. I like a stock that I don't have to worry about getting dinged up, and will stay straight regardless of the weather or other conditions.

Hornseeker,
They just arent' making this easy on you are they.. Talk to your smith see what he thinks it will cost to get the B&C to fit, if cost is too high then either go with the Abolt plastic or the mcmillan. On a side note I'm not sure how your planning on paying for the Browning plastic stock but I'm sure if you call around to some gunsmiths you can get one for about 40-50 bucks. I know Christensenarms.com sells factory take off stocks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom