bruin sizing by tracks

deepforks

so, i am by no means an expert on judging tracks, hell not even a bear hunter (although a always have a tag just incase). anyway, came on these the other day and wondered what you would say the estimated size this guy would be. you can see my tracks in the right corner (size 12 meindl boot). the single track pic is of the most distinguished track in the other pic. maybe a 5 footer? tracks seemed kind of small to me....

663003.jpg

6676004.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 06:47AM (MST)[p]First thing is measure the width of the front pad, a sow will go 3 34/" to 4 1/2". Most sows in Utah will run 150 to 225 pounds. A boar track will run from around 4 1/2" to 6, and the size pretty much follows the foot to some degree. A five inch track will generally yield 260 to 300 plus pound boar, give or take. Where I hunt, those 5 1/2" and larger tracks are generally made by a 350 to 400 pound bear, or top of the line and have a 20 to 21 inch skull..........that doesn't mean a guy won't get fooled from time to time but generally those numbers are close!

http://www.ingramwildlife.com/picture.htm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom