buck hit- need advise!

blazingsaddle

I need some advise as where I possibly hit a buck and how to handle finding him.
The condensed story goes: Saturday around 10:00 I hit a good 4x5, due to the snow and fog, I could not track my arrow placement. He ran 100 yards or so and layed down. He had two does with im and when they would walk away, he would follow the best he could. After 7-8 hundred yards of trying he layed down and watched his does leave the drainage. The fog came in for 2 hours or so, when it lifted, he was gone. I figured it had been 3-4 hours since I hit him. I tracked him from a good blood trail and jumped him out of some scrub oak. I watched him side hill out of the drainage and drop into the next canyon. He moved really well, even jumping over thick stuff, but he still had to stop every hundred yards or so.
I left his track that night and continued sunday morning. Sunday I found 19 different places where he had layed down throughout the night, bleeding the entire trail. After being shot he has traveld less than 1/2 mile. In three or so of his beds, there was along with blood, a yellowish, clear liquid in a 3 foot radius to the side of his body imprint. It smelled like stomach to me, but possibly urine? It had to pumped or sprayed/misted from him as he lay.
I caught up to him 3 hours later as I jumped him from another thick patch. It was too thick to see how he was moving, but from the looks of things- he was still moving well. BUt still bleeding. I backed off again not to keep pushing him.

The blood trail is good by my book, i know the snow makes it look better than it might be- but blood has been squirting out of him for 30 plus hours. It was hard to go 10 yards and not see blood. Most of the blodd is smaller drops, but 1-2 feet off his tracks looking like it was squirting not dripping from him?

Any thoughts as to where I may have hit him? From the times I saw him walking, he is not limping or favoring a leg. My best guess is I hit him just in front of the hind quarter, possibly clipping some stomach? How long can it take for an animal to expire if hit in the stomach?
I am taking work off tomorrow to look again before the snow melts. Any suggestions? I am at a complete loss of what to do next? Other than making the 2 hour hike back to look for him again.

you might call the game and fish and tell them your situation. I take it you can't use a rifle. So they might be able to go out there and finish him for you with a rifle. At this point you need to do what ever it takes to end the suffering. If he is still bleeding 2 days later then it is most likely going to be a fatal wound. Thats what i would do call the game and fish..i bet they will be more then willing to assist you.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

That sounds like pretty good advice......I commend your efforts.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I killed a pronghorn a few years ago that had been packing an arrow in his paunch for about two months. He was in bad shape, but lived a long miserable time after the hit. If the F&G will put him down, thats not a bad route to take IMO.

I don't think the Fish and Game will do anything like that for you. At least I've never heard of it before.

If it was me, I'd get a buddy and put him on the tracks while you get up above and ahead of him. Have him track it and when it gets up you move ahead and intercept it. I know it may not work the first time, but if you can keep on him, you'll get your chance.

Just an idea for you.

DBD

Thats not a bad idea, I think I can con my dad into making the hike with me tomorrow- hopefully. The last canyon I saw him in could be easy to put me in front of him.
Thanks

Keep looking.. With this snow and great tracking conditions if he is mortally wounded he won't be to far. Keep at it!. It's amazing how quickly a razor sharp broadhead wound can heal up. It sounds to me like a gut shot of some sort. If it is he will probably find some thick cover and stay close. If not, at least you can find where he last bedded and make sure you can rest knowing you tried your best to find him. Keep us posted, if he is mortally hit you should be able to find him with good tracking and hard work. That's bowhunting my friend. A long track job sometimes comes with shooting a bow. Good luck!

I went out again yesterday with no luck. The snow had melted off and I could not track him any farther than I could on Sunday. The canyon he went into was so thick with scrub oak, it was almost impossible for me to walk through it. I criss crossed it the best I could, but to no avail. I feel like he is in there somewhere, but I could have 50 people help, and never find him its so thick.
With the temps never really getting above 45-50, would his carcass stink when its that cold?

Start watching for birds. Its supposed to snow this weekend as soon as it breaks is the perfect time to watch for birds on him. get somewhere your can glass the entire area you think he maybe. The eagles, ravens, camp robbers, coyotes and magpies will be on him if he is dead and easy to pick up in the snow. No he wont stink enough for you to pick it up at any distance at these temps. Goodluck
--------------------------------------

"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

I have a great idea we should ride on in there and pull an old number 7. What say you?

Bucks and bulls may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom