Bugles in Unit 10!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
For all you archery elk hunters who have Unit 10 tags.

My friend Jim Rich and I were up there on Saturday/Sunday doing last minute scouting for antelope.

We camped out Saturday night and from dark Saturday to daylight Sunday Jim counted 19 separate bugles!

One bull walked about 200 yards behind our camp!

Heading back up Wednesday for the goat hunt, hope the elk serenade us at night!

Don Martin
AWO

Don,

What part of 10 were you in? I was up there all weekend as well and didn't here a single bugle.....we did find some elk though!

Hey Don

Just wondering hows the antler grow with all this rain we've been getting? Ive heard that there's a lot of tall grass this year and its been making it a lot harder to see.
quest

We camped in the southern end of the unit on Saturday night.

Hey, you see any antelope?

I've been hunting goats in Unit 10 since 1972 and this year I've not seen nearly the quality of bucks that I have seen in the past.

Oh yes, there are a few that are above average, but in talking with the archers and other pre-season scouters, most are saying the same thing.

Going to be a tough hunt.

Don Martin

The antler growth on the mature bulls looked good for the most part. Antelope on the other hand.....

Don

Don,

I've heard and seen the same thing with the antelope up there. I did see a few bucks but nothing big.

As far as I can tell the elk are pretty scattered across the unit. They are wallowing pretty good right now. Every tank I went to this weekend had a couple wallows, some pretty big. Where's all the 400" bulls this year? By now there have been 7 or 8 spotted through out the unit....I guess they're not behind every tree this year huh? :)

Nope, just like there isn't 83 inch goats on every flat.

I can honestly say that in my scouting I have not seen anything better than probably 360, but then again I'm looking for antelope and not elk.

Tim Pender is guiding an archery elk hunter for us in Unit 10 and he has seen some really good bulls on his scouting trips.

Hope it works out for all of us.

Don Martin
AWO

That's exactly why I put it up! Got to torment all those lucky hunters who got Unit 10 bull elk tags! :)

Don Martin
AWO

P.S. I heard from two different guys that were up north last weekend that they didn't hear even one bugle. Wonder why? Didn't see any trees getting torn up either, but its about ready to happen, I believe.

I was up in 10 this past week and the bulls were bugling good saturday morning. We had about six different bulls going at it. One bull had a few cows with him already.

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-10 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]Heading out later today to Unit 10 for the antelope hunt. Gonna need some luck to bag the boy we are gonna try and get.

He is one smart SOB and I just hope we get close enough for a shot and my lady hunter is on the mark!

Don Martin
AWO

wow, not that many good goats in 10 I was hunting them in archery there and saw 5 different bucks that would score over 85 inches including 2 over 90 and didn't even cover 1/10 the unit. Don if you need some info pm me

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom