Bugling/Cow Calling

nmwapiti

So I finally drew an Archery Elk tag. This is my first archery hunt, have never killed an elk and really want to make the most of this hunt! Any suggestions on bugling/cow calling? I am feeling confident on my shooting out to 40-50 yards, but need to get one in that close to make it happen. I drew 5B and have heard from a few people that the rut doesn't even start until mid Sept. Any calling tips greatly appreciated!

The rut starts the last few days of the archery season, We used Bugling to locate and cow called the rest of the time, Everyone in the party had close encounters some passed, others missed We had guys that had cows at 10 yds and didn't want a cow was holding out for a good bull or nothing. During Archery season I'm a firm believer in if it's brown it down.

It's a pretty good archery unit, Just wish the rut would kick in quicker or the season last longer, a couple of years back we got a few night it froze and the bulls bugled all night and shut during the day as it got warm, The days it rained we got into some good herds with Sat. bulls all around bugling was great, Bill Middlebrook was calling and had spikes run right up to him, We chased one herd about 6 miles and half of the day before they just out moved us going up hill, it still gets pretty cold at nights up there and you should have some extra spare and gas, if it rains you tires will ball up and it hard to get around up there slipping and sliding, wait 3-4 hours and the roads dry out quick.

normally, i just walk the ridges and use a bugle to locate a bull/s...after that it's primarily cow calls...if he doesnt respond for a while i will let out another location bugle to get on him again, then again, it's back to cow calls...i dont bugle often, more cow calling than anything...others may prefer bugling alot, gotta find what works for you...good luck on your hunt...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom