Manti Mid season

BenHuntn

I am putting in for the Mid season Manti unit this year. EB3126. What other hunts are open during Oct5-17th? I have been waiting many years to hunt Elk in Utah and hope I am making the correct choice any help would be greatly appreciated.

Julius

Depending on how many points you have you may want to rethink your strategy. My son had the Wasatch midseason elk tag last year and it is an absolute zoo with General spike hunters at the same time. Very tough hunt-don’t expect to be hunting elk that aren’t moving or spooked.

If you can find a bull before the hunt and kill him at first light on opening day you may be ok but after that all bets are off on finding undisturbed elk.

Don’t want to rain on your parade or plans but your expectations should be realistic given the challenges this hunt brings. If you have relatively low points or don’t mind the pumpkin parade of craziness that will surely be part of your experience then by all means have at it.

That is what I was asking. Why do they want to kill off spikes? That is the future of big bulls. Would I be better of with the late hunt. I have 18 points and 69 years young. Thanks guy's.
Julius

I would DEFINITELY NOT burn 18 points on the mid-season Manti tag. I would look at late hunts or possibly a mid-season tag on one of the top-tier elk units like Beaver, San Juan, Boulder, etc. I have no idea if 18 points is even in the range to draw a mid-season tag on those top end units. That is research you should look into though for sure.

To me it is all about what you are hoping for in the experience.

Mid season can and likely will be a bit crowded, but there are ways to use that to your advantage. Some good bulls were killed on the mid-season hunt last year on the Manti. It was probably the best rutting action of any of the seasons in the areas where I hunt on the unit as well. That doesn't mean it will be that way again. However, I would fully expect to see some rutting action on the mid-season hunt next year.

Draw odds for the mid-season hunts are going to be tough to figure out for a couple years, since last year was the first year in the new elk plan and tag allocations. So even last year's draw odds, being the first ever, probably aren't all that helpful.

I'll reiterate, it all comes down to the experience you are hoping to have, then you draw a tag and go make it happen. What you are envisioning determines where you should apply.

Late hunt can be pretty good on the Manti. It can also be really tough! Access could become an issue if we get big early snow storms. And you may be looking over a ton of mature but broken bulls as well.

There are trade offs with each of the hunts. Hence, why I say it depends on what you are looking for.

The reality is there really isn't a bad option. You'll be elk hunting no matter what once you draw the tag. There are just options, and you have to choose which one you want the most.

I am putting in for the Mid season Manti unit this year. EB3126. What other hunts are open during Oct5-17th? I have been waiting many years to hunt Elk in Utah and hope I am making the correct choice any help would be greatly appreciated.

Julius
If I were looking at hunting the Manti the first active MM member I would approach for assistance would be notdonhunting.

He’s a very good man and I’m reasonable sure he could and would help.

I read a lot of you post here and else where Ben. You might have knowledge about places and things he and his son would like to hunt too. It always helps if folks can help each other, when it came to the outdoors life style. If that makes sense.

The last two years the success rate on the mid hunt was 53% & 60%. Late hunt is usually high 60's to mid 70's %.

Any elk hunt with a success rate over 50% out west is rare so take this into account. Although folks here look down on the mid hunt if you are a nonresident and look at neighboring states it's still a great hunt all things considered. The moon phase is gonna be better in 2024 of the mid hunt as well. Most spike hunters are 3 day weekend guys, the mountain clears out some and the Manti is huge.

18 points non resident was not guaranteed for the mid manti, half the tags went bonus, half random. You will need to be lucky to draw it

20+ points for late Manti to draw.

If I was 69 years young with 18 points I would put in for the mid, better chance of a tag and still a solid chance of success. Do you want to be 72 years old hiking in cold & snow on the late hunt in 3 years? Life is short, go hunt

That is what I was asking. Why do they want to kill off spikes? That is the future of big bulls. Would I be better of with the late hunt. I have 18 points and 69 years young. Thanks guy's.
Julius
Because Utah thinks 15k tags is for the greater good of family hunting. I wish they had individual unit quotas like Nevada on spike hunting. Very few units should have spike hunts.

Disagree strongly! Spike hunts aren’t impacting elk herds. Plenty of bulls on the landscape.
niller the book cliffs is downright pathetic. How does Nevada 111-115 look so great and has less water than the books and every bit as many wild horses. SW desert is pretty pathetic as well it’s just miles away. 15k spike tags is good with no individual unit quotas? How?

The Book Cliffs is being impacted by way more than spike hunters. When deer, bison, and even the grazing cattle are all suffering the same plight, then maybe it’s time to look beyond which hunting tags are being offered.

That said, that’s a unit that sounds like it could probably use some special attention.

Depending on how many points you have you may want to rethink your strategy. My son had the Wasatch midseason elk tag last year and it is an absolute zoo with General spike hunters at the same time. Very tough hunt-don’t expect to be hunting elk that aren’t moving or spooked.

If you can find a bull before the hunt and kill him at first light on opening day you may be ok but after that all bets are off on finding undisturbed elk.

Don’t want to rain on your parade or plans but your expectations should be realistic given the challenges this hunt brings. If you have relatively low points or don’t mind the pumpkin parade of craziness that will surely be part of your experience then by all means have at it.
Perfectly stated

Because Utah thinks 15k tags is for the greater good of family hunting. I wish they had individual unit quotas like Nevada on spike hunting. Very few units should have spike hunts.
@wstrntines you should try hunting with family and friends sometime. I think you may like it.

The success rate is something like 10% on the spike hunts. Plenty of spikes are surviving into mature bulls. The spike hunt has zero impact on the overall hurd population growth, provides a more optimal cow to bull ratio for hurd growth and has minimal impact on the number big bulls tags. It is a great trade off.

It is true...the spike hunt is more about being in the woods with family and friends on a chill hunt with low expectations on the years when no one in the family draws a big a bull tag.

I would agree that the army of spike hunters can make the mid season big bull hunt extra challenging. It is a similar experience to drawing a limit quota NR Region G deer tag in WY where a NR spends a significant amount of time and money acquiring the tag only to have the woods filled with unlimited residents who bought the tag the day before the opener at the gas station for $42.

If you don't kill first light of opening morning, plan on waiting 3-4 days for the weekend warriors to go home and the pressure to ease up to allow the animals to come out of hiding.

Last edited:
@wstrntines you should try hunting with family and friends sometime. I think you may like it.

The success rate is something like 10% on the spike hunts. Plenty of spikes are surviving into mature bulls. The spike hunt has zero impact on the overall hurd population growth, provides a more optimal cow to bull ratio for hurd growth and has minimal impact on the number big bulls tags. It is a great trade off.

It is true...the spike hunt is more about being in the woods with family and friends on a chill hunt with low expectations on the years when no one in the family draws a big a bull tag.

I would agree that the army of spike hunters can make the mid season big bull hunt extra challenging. It is a similar experience to drawing a limit quota NR Region G deer tag in WY where a NR spends a significant amount of time and money acquiring the tag only to have the woods filled with unlimited residents who bought the tag the day before the opener at the gas station for $42.

If you don't kill first light of opening morning, plan on waiting 3-4 days for the weekend warriors to go home and the pressure to ease up to allow the animals to come out of hiding.
I do and it’s a blast. I can go on any hunt without a tag and have a big smile on my face. I don’t need a spike tag to watch big bulls or have big bull tag to call in big bulls.

Well, looking at the draw odds, there are only 4 hunts you are basically guaranteed to draw, that may be worth 18 points. So others know as well.

LaSal, LaSal Late
Wasatch Late
Wasatch Mid
Manti Mid

I eliminated archery as a guess. Also, I eliminated other hunts that were way less points as likely not worth it to you.

Maybe this will give some other options for guys to comment on easily...

I would lean Wasatch late or Manti mid with those options on the table.

My earlier post wasn’t intended to dissuade you from doing the midseason hunt. It was intended to set expectations appropriately. You will encounter hunting pressure for sure, but like anything, the experience will be what you make it and at the end of the day, there aren’t many things better than getting away from it all and chasing elk in beautiful country with close friends and family. That alone is always worth it for me!!

As much as I love reading guys individual opinions on specific hunts, here’s a handful of actual bulls killed on mid season and late season Wasatch tags the last few years.

I prioritize them with one question. What’s more important, size/age of bull, or hunt experience, ie fall leaves and bugles? If it’s age and size, go late, if it’s bugles and fall go mid.
IMG_2521.jpeg
0E79C830-EBDC-4F06-8404-112CDA9B3E77.jpeg
IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_2861.jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg

I would lean Wasatch late or Manti mid with those options on the table.

My earlier post wasn’t intended to dissuade you from doing the midseason hunt. It was intended to set expectations appropriately. You will encounter hunting pressure for sure, but like anything, the experience will be what you make it and at the end of the day, there aren’t many things better than getting away from it all and chasing elk in beautiful country with close friends and family. That alone is always worth it for me!!
In the long run……… I don’t understand that. Sorry…… I just don’t.

Well, looking at the draw odds, there are only 4 hunts you are basically guaranteed to draw, that may be worth 18 points. So others know as well.

LaSal, LaSal Late
Wasatch Late
Wasatch Mid
Manti Mid

I eliminated archery as a guess. Also, I eliminated other hunts that were way less points as likely not worth it to you.

Maybe this will give some other options for guys to comment on easily...
Thanks for the info!!!

As much as I love reading guys individual opinions on specific hunts, here’s a handful of actual bulls killed on mid season and late season Wasatch tags the last few years.

I prioritize them with one question. What’s more important, size/age of bull, or hunt experience, ie fall leaves and bugles? If it’s age and size, go late, if it’s bugles and fall go mid.
View attachment 139727View attachment 139728View attachment 139729View attachment 139730View attachment 139731View attachment 139732
Awesome pics of some beautiful Bulls

It’s nothing personal elkHunterUT. I’ve heard it repeatedly from a lot of others on the forum.

It’s the idea that, regardless of the outcome, hunters should be satisfied with the results because “the experience will be what you make it and at the end of the day, there aren’t many things better than getting away from it all and chasing elk in beautiful country with close friends and family. That alone is always worth it for me!!

I may have a different way of interpreting what people mean when they say this kind of thing…………. specifically with someone that has set a goal, many years ago, for a specific outcome, with considerable time, monetary investment and sacrifices, to be satisfied and suggesting they should not disappointed.

Being disappointed or frustrated at not achieving the goal, in no way should diminish the beauty of the natural surrounding or the joy of being with family and friends, but those are different goal one has that at times are different than other goal. Maybe they are even more important than this particular goal but…….. is it not possible to work for a goal in addition to other important aspect of life.

People that apply for these so call “once in a lifetime tags”, especially those folks that apply for years, even decades, have every right, in my mind, to make every effort to realize their goal and be disappointed if they come up short. It’s much different, in my mind than hunting a tag that can be drawn or purchase every other year or two, where the same beauty, the same bugling and the same pleasure with family and friends is had.

I’ll give you another example, a non hunting one. A woman I know, saved her money for a number of years, so she and her sister could go to Iceland, specifically to see the Northern Lights. For years they read and studied the best time of year to go, where best to see the Lights from, where to stay, where to eat, what to wear etc. etc. The time came and off they went. They were in Iceland for 6 nights. The loved the people, they had a great time as sisters, the food and the lodging was amazing, but………. never saw the sun or a star at night. Never saw the Northern Lights. Overcased everyday. Were they disappointed, absolutely. They waited all those years and took a week of vacation, made the trip to enjoy each other, take a sona, eat good food, etc. They went on this hunt/trip for a specific reason and it didn’t happen. Did they say they were disappointed, of course. Did they say the food was good, the people were great, the lodging was excellent, her sister was wonderful, they sure did.

That’s why I don’t understand it when folks tell those who have waited to draw, for years, to have fun and don’t worry about it, if you don’t achieve your goal or infer that goal shouldn’t be as important as the original goal.

But like I’ve said, I’m a weird guy….. so I do understand others not understanding me.

Again, nothing personal nor am I trying or intending to offend, I’m just trying to answer your question.

It snowed again last night…….. all the best this year elkhunterUT.

WOW that took a while to clean up so you could read it. Sorry…… I’ll go take my meds.

Last edited:

View attachment 139727View attachment 139728View attachment 139729View attachment 139730

Hey BEAVIS?

Can you Show Us The 2023 BRAGGIN WALL?

It’s nothing personal elkHunterUT. I’ve heard it repeatedly from a lot of others on the forum.

It’s the idea that, regardless of the outcome, hunters should be satisfied with the results because “the experience will be what you make it and at the end of the day, there aren’t many things better than getting away from it all and chasing elk in beautiful country with close friends and family. That alone is always worth it for me!!

I may have a different way of interpreting what people mean when they say this kind of thing…………. specifically with someone that has set a goal, many years ago, for a specific outcome, with considerable time, monetary investment and sacrifices, to be satisfied and suggesting they should not disappointed.

Being disappointed or frustrated at not achieving the goal, in no way should diminish the beauty of the natural surrounding or the joy of being with family and friends, but those are different goal one has that at times are different than other goal. Maybe they are even more important than this particular goal but…….. is it not possible to work for a goal in addition to other important aspect of life.

People that apply for these so call “once in a lifetime tags”, especially those folks that apply for years, even decades, have every right, in my mind, to make every effort to realize their goal and be disappointed if they come up short. It’s much different, in my mind than hunting a tag that can be drawn or purchase every other year or two, where the same beauty, the same bugling and the same pleasure with family and friends is had.

I’ll give you another example, a non hunting one. A woman I know, saved her money for a number of years, so she and her sister could go to Iceland, specifically to see the Northern Lights. For years they read and studied the best time of year to go, where best to see the Lights from, where to stay, where to eat, what to wear etc. etc. The time came and off they went. They were in Iceland for 6 nights. The loved the people, they had a great time as sisters, the food and the lodging was amazing, but………. never saw the sun or a star at night. Never saw the Northern Lights. Overcased everyday. Were they disappointed, absolutely. They waited all those years and took a week of vacation, made the trip to enjoy each other, take a sona, eat good food, etc. They went on this hunt/trip for a specific reason and it didn’t happen. Did they say they were disappointed, of course. Did they say the food was good, the people were great, the lodging was excellent, her sister was wonderful, they sure did.

That’s why I don’t understand it when folks tell those who have waited to draw, for years, to have fun and don’t worry about it, if you don’t achieve your goal or infer that goal shouldn’t be as important as the original goal.

But like I’ve said, I’m a weird guy….. so I do understand others not understanding me.

Again, nothing personal nor am I trying or intending to offend, I’m just trying to answer your question.

It snowed again last night…….. all the best this year elkhunterUT.

WOW that took a while to clean up so you could read it. Sorry…… I’ll go take my meds.
Absolutely no offense taken @2lumpy - just wanted to understand where you were coming from with what felt like a bit of a "veiled jab" in your first response - I realize now that was not your intent. Your explanation makes total sense and he can feel however he wants to feel after his hunt that he has waited 18 years for. His tag, his hunt, his feelings.

I don't think I have a greater passion or interest in this life than hunting. Being successful on my hunts means a lot to me (Lets just say I don't approach any hunt haphazardly or unprepared), but as I have gotten older, I believe my perspective has changed/improved such that my disappointment in a hunt not being successful (even a hunt with a lot of pressure like OIL or LE tag) can largely be overcome by the experiences in God's creation and with those that I care most about.

That is me and I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way (though I do think a healthy dose of perspective even on high pressure hunts is a very good thing)- as they say, "you do you".

All the best 2Lumpy - appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts!!

Lots of bulls on the landscape on the Manti last year. Lots! Finding bulls was not an issue. However, it was tough finding anything bigger than 320 inches on the unit. That is not normal, as 320 class bulls are generally commonplace on that unit.

I hope for all the 2024 hunters that means great things for antler size and all those bulls that didn't pack on the inches last year bounce back in a big way this year, but who really knows?

Lots of bulls on the landscape on the Manti last year. Lots! Finding bulls was not an issue. However, it was tough finding anything bigger than 320 inches on the unit. That is not normal, as 320 class bulls are generally commonplace on that unit.

I hope for all the 2024 hunters that means great things for antler size and all those bulls that didn't pack on the inches last year bounce back in a big way this year, but who really knows?
Same experience on the Wasatch. I am pretty sure this year will be much improved for antler growth given the relatively mild winter we have had with good moisture. 2024 will likely be a very good year to have an elk tag!

Wish my 5 year waiting period would end soon so I can get back in the Utah LE elk game!

I can second that. Plenty of small and decent bulls running around on the north half of the unit.

Hey Niller!

You Shoulda Waited Till 24 With A Little Less POWER!

I'm leaning towards mid myself.

I don't have max points, but I'm chasing a non attainable object trying to get more points.

But, I grew up hunting that unit.

I love that place so take that into consideration

After wednesday of the spike hunt, most the real big bulls arent on cows anymore and are transitioning to their wintering/hidey holes. Plenty of big bulls to be found mid season. You just have to change where you look! Instead of pine/aspen mixes, look for aspen/scrub mixes or scrub/sage mixes.

I would 100% hunt a mid season tag, given nearly 14 days to hunt bulls versus the 5 they are doing early rifle now....the early rifle is the gamble, mid season gives you way more days afield to scout/hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom